PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants crying on emergency landing?

Bubbette
27th Aug 2001, 05:25
This is from the cbc account of the Air Transat loss of power. Do you think they would really cry? I like to see the ones I've dealt with know how to encourage the pax?

Passenger Joe Fernandez of Toronto told CBC Radio news that shortly after the pilot announced there would be an emergency landing, flight attendants began crying. He says he was told that the crew wasn't sure if they would be able to make the landing strip or not.

Ditch
27th Aug 2001, 09:32
Babette...

Could you enlighten me as to what this story is all about. Been away and havent heard anything about this story. Sounds interesting.. :eek:

Bubbette
27th Aug 2001, 16:58
http://cbc.ca/cp/world/010826/w082658.html

This is the latest I found.

Jungle Strip
27th Aug 2001, 19:47
Could have been because they were due to be stuck in Gander for a week... Or not quite into overtime... I know the feeling.

Jungle Strip
27th Aug 2001, 22:39
Aha. I'm now older and wiser. For Gander, read The Azores. But the point stands.

Mr Pax
27th Aug 2001, 23:58
DITCH
Try looking in rumours and news,
Topic: 9 Hurt in Air Transat Emergency Landing in Azores
:eek:

pilotwolf
28th Aug 2001, 22:01
Aren't FA taught when situation is non viable that they should then put their escape above anything else? :confused:

Carnage Matey!
29th Aug 2001, 02:18
Most of ours say they'll just jump anyway and say they were pushed. Worst thing is, I believe them!

Etoile
29th Aug 2001, 06:26
I do belive that the F/A's were crying, but I belive that they were doing it in the flight deck. I personally don't know how I would react in a situation like that. Like, just try to imagine what that would be like. The Captain calls you into the flight deck to do the TESTS briefing and he's telling you all the problems that are going on, and that you'll be ditching. A DITCHING! How many people have survived a ditching?? You don't know how you would react and I don't know how I would react. It's even hard to say how the pax would react. It's a scary situation. Sure you're trained to prepare for a ditching, but you are prepared for a best case scenario. It's scary, personally I don't know what the right way to act would have been. :eek:

latin sky
29th Aug 2001, 07:48
Must agree with you Etoile....
I saw quite a few interviews of pax in portuguese television,some of them said cabin crew prepared the cabin for ditching,and were very professional and helpeful...
That's what we are prepared to do in such cases.
But it's no wonder that after a while we too start to get "nervous" or better "conscious" of what is coming....we are "HUMANS" too :rolleyes:
Other pax did say that they could sense the tension groing on the crew,and that some were even crying...no wonder!!!
We could discuss this for ever,but still think the crew did a great job...starting with the pilots ofcourse.

Thank God they made it...

[ 29 August 2001: Message edited by: latin sky ]

SJ
29th Aug 2001, 14:31
Interesting about the crying comments. Who knows. If you listen to the interview with the passenger who made the allegations at http://cbc.ca/news there is certainly evidence of a crew following a prepared impact drill. Has he misinterpretted the f/a saying to him 'please help me, please help me' as a poorly worded request for an able bodied pax to assist in preparation for ditching??

On the negative side, the airline has been quick to try and recast the pilots as heroes which they are, but there has been little said of the role of f/a's in the cabin, and surely there would be somebody who would have a good thing to say about them.

I guess we can all hope we run the plan and keep our shi*t together when it hits the fan, but you just never know until it happens.

This below from CBC.

He (Piche) says he, first officer Dirk DeJager, and flight director Meleni Tesic worked as an effective team to keep the passengers safe, and had no time to panic.

"Even though you're trained, ready, you're always surprised," he noted.

Tesic said there was no panic among flight crew or passengers, answering some passengers' charges of hysterical behaviour from the crew.

"It was an extremely silent cabin – not a pin drop to be heard," she said. "We were so focused, doing a silent review in our heads."

She said the passengers had a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and that they may have interpreted the loud instructions from the flight crew as panic.

Etoile
30th Aug 2001, 00:04
I would just like to say that the F/A's did a great job, no matter what everyone is saying. I think they did as much as they possibly could have, without screaming and freaking out. I know that the pilots are the ones that landed the plane, but the F/A's are the ones in the back trying to keep everyone calm. The pilots aren't the ones that have to look at the pax and tell them that everything is alright. I think the F/A's have a pretty tough job right there. I commend them. They did a great job. :eek:

Apollo
30th Aug 2001, 02:57
Great job done by the "13 Crew Members". I'll say it like that as I think it's a team effort. They paint the pilot a Hero because he's the one making the 6 digit salary and spent the last 30 years drilling holes in the sky. You only have to look at the number of chutes out the doors and that will tell you how good a job the F/A's did. All doors open, only nine hurt, and A/C evacuated in under 90 seconds. Great effort by all.

Ditch
30th Aug 2001, 05:50
Apollo...Here here....Im with you on this one. :) I cant believe that a passenger would make such remarks. After all he lived didnt he. Hes just like all passengers..UNGRATEFUL :confused: :mad:

rayofsunshine
31st Aug 2001, 23:47
hi guys i just came across this discution by chane and i thought i would throw in my tupence worth.i am flight deck ,a flight engineer ( yes we do still exist!) just to make a couple of pionts all aircraft are designed to withstand the stress of a landing on water and must demonstrate thier
ability to do so.the only reasons that dichings have bean unsucsesfull in the past is that therehas usualy bean other factors
involved.
as for c/a,s becoming emotional,if i where in thier position i would to.the only reason that we dont is that we are usualy all to busy. as for c/a,s legging it, the history books are full of storys of c/a,s
wining postumous meadles for bravery . finaly we are all part of the same crew the only reason for the flight deck door is to keep out the smell of the forward tiolet

Orangewing
4th Sep 2001, 15:51
Meadles ?????! With fifteen apalling spelling mistakes and atrocious use of grammar, are you sure you are not cabin crew??
Incidentally,I have been involved in a few situations whereby we have had to make a quick return to land,(not necessarily full emergencies) and the cabin crew blubbed every time.Two were even off sick with post-traumatic stress after a mere tailscrape!!
Hardly the "right stuff" now, is it? :D :D

[ 04 September 2001: Message edited by: Orangewing ]

rayofsunshine
4th Sep 2001, 17:49
Orangewing ,houw cliver ov yow to sput all ther spilling mestachs! for what its worth.it was my second attempt to post the item, however, it was a bad night in computer land and i had just finished a long flight. i know not what you do ,but my point was to try to reassure that a diching
is not always going to end in disaster,that a major emergency will scare the c**p out of most people they just show it in diferent ways and finaly that i concider most cc to be very profesonal and able to do the job they where trained for . by the way .i accept the coments about the quality of my post but before you throw insults at people
who are speaking up for your trade (i assume you are cc) i would point out that i know
of cc with degrees and pilots licences etc

ONTPax
4th Sep 2001, 21:14
Hi "Rayofsunshine"!

You wrote:

Orangewing ,houw cliver ov yow to sput all ther spilling mestachs! for what its worth.it was my second attempt to post the item, however, it was a bad night in computer land and i had just finished a long flight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm... Judging from the number of spelling and grammatical errors in your latest post, it STILL appears to be a very bad night in computer land and you apparently need to get some more rest from your long flight.

By any chance, did you attend the same spelling class with a certain LAX-based AA flight attendant whose initials are D.M.? :D :rolleyes: :p :eek:

Sick Squid
5th Sep 2001, 03:50
Have any of you considered that the gentleman/lady may be partially dyslexic? Just one of the reasons why I dislike the appearance of the spelling police in any guise.

Enough already, the point has been made.

£6

Coppelia
5th Sep 2001, 04:25
Free nastiness is undoubtedly a typical human "quality".

rayofsunshine
5th Sep 2001, 18:33
As I stated in my original post, I came upon
this forum by chance.In my career,in recent
years I have been involved in two incidents
where cabin crew have shown that they have the "right stuff".On one occasion the a/c
landed in severe bad weather,so bad that other a/c where diverting.On that occasion
I was watching from the ramp.The landing was so bad that I was convinced that it was about to crash.I watched the pax disembark
in a very shaken state.The a/c involved had only one ca who deplaned her pax with a fiendly smile. I borded the a/c and spoke to the ca she then broke down and was very shaken.She said that she did not want
to go up agian although she had two more
trips to do,the FO had the same thoughts.
The flight was delayed for an hour during
which time she regianed her composure and
flew two more trips.
On another occasion I had a severe engine malfunction that required the a/c to land on one engine.Once the pax where off the a/c I went to speak to the ca,s only to find that they where trying to decide which of the firemen they fancied the most!
On a more sad note,my keyboard skills are not what they might be and as my intention
was to add to the forum I have made a few
misssstakes,however,I thought that I could add something usefull to the item.No I am not
dyslexic and I have had a good rest.I will not be visiting this forum again as I can go to better places to be insulted. Finaly,the pompous arrogance of some people on this forum would suggest that they are
not the cc that I was speaking in support of
but maybe captians?
(ps all spelling checked)

Orangewing
6th Sep 2001, 01:29
Sick squid, I did think about the possibility of the poster being dyslexic, but the chances of a dyslexic making it to F/E are about as likely as a partial sighted Pilot.
And no, rayofsunshine, I am not cabin crew, I am a First Officer with the orange lot. :D

hardingl
7th Sep 2001, 15:54
Hey Orangewing, keep an eye out for a rather nervous looking number 3 on your next few
flights by the name of Victoria (my partner!! :)

She has just started with you guys and her first flight is sat 15th from LTN to AMS
(the day after graduation which is a bit of a bummer!)

safe flying
Lee

PS If you have got any tips on how to get into that left hand seat drop me a mail on [email protected] AS IM DESPERATE TO BECOME A PILIOT! :D

Tarantella
11th Sep 2001, 13:42
What a shame that so much time is being spent critiquing the spelling instead of paying attention to the content.
Rayofsunshine's comments were well thought out and drew on his/her own experiences with emergency situations.
...With fifteen apalling spelling mistakes and atrocious use of grammar, are you sure you are not cabin crew??...

Orangewing, I find your attitude quite appalling and also unlikely to endear you to the other part of your team of safety professionals, who constitute your eyes and ears in the cabin.
Tea? Coffee? CRM anyone? :rolleyes:

latin sky
14th Sep 2001, 20:52
Orangewing.....who do you fly for?????a flying orange!!??(with all respect to fellow CC...)
Guess you are no material for the Majors....with that opinion of us CC...I guess you must be of a superior breed :rolleyes:
Try to move on to cargo,you might fly something bigger :eek:
If you feel like insulting us,we might feel free to do the same...I have seen members of the two winged master race crash and burn in front of gorgeous breasts
:D :D :D :D

[ 14 September 2001: Message edited by: latin sky ]

heloplt
14th Sep 2001, 21:57
A couple of questions pop into mind here...if given an option of ditching or burning up an engine with an oil leak....well now...Pratt and Whitney makes them all the time!

Does this suggest that four is better than three...three is better than two....? One can not have too many engines....epecially when the water is deeper than your nose is high!