PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up the scan etc.

bishop99
6th Nov 2007, 17:54
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice of how to keep the instrument scan up to speed without actually going out flying (Games/ programs.... :confused:)

I have not flown in over a month and a half. With a sim ride in a couple of weeks, a good scan rate would be most useful. :8.

Any advice would be helpful

Cheers

B

londonmet
6th Nov 2007, 18:11
When watching TV look at the centre of the screen the rapidly look at each corner returning to the centre each time......leaves you one hand of the remote/beer and the other free as welll....

toolowtoofast
6th Nov 2007, 18:15
How important is the sim ride?

Hiring a plane and going flying always works for me.....

redsnail
6th Nov 2007, 21:50
A scan is vital. If you can find a computer based synthetic trainer such as Elite then it'll be great for your scan. There's several types of aircraft in it and it's very accurate.

Scanning dials is a lot harder than screens. Only trap with the screens is to be able to rapidly interpret what they mean.

Good luck.

Polorutz
7th Nov 2007, 04:41
How about Microsoft Flight Simulator?? nice virtual cockpits there.

redsnail
7th Nov 2007, 07:50
I am not familiar with using Microsoft products as a tool for keeping a scan accurate, but they aren't bad for airfield familiarisation.

Elite on the other hand has instrument fidelity and can be used to keep instrument scanning and tracking skills up to speed.

Essentially, one's a game the other's a tool.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
7th Nov 2007, 19:29
I used to think the Microsoft sim was pretty awful and a waste of time when I was working as an IR instructor. The standard Microsoft aircraft are just toys, nothing more. Recently I had a change of heart when I tried some of the add on aircraft that you can buy. You can keep your scan up and increase your knowledge of complex types. For sure it's more than just a game and I hear X Plane is even better. Elite is okay but there are limited types of aircraft, mainly just steam guage stuff. I purchased myself a CH Products flight yoke which transforms the realism. 120 quid is quite steep but joysticks are too sensitive and a waste of time.

bishop99
8th Nov 2007, 09:22
Thanks everyone.

Ive been using Microsoft FS, mainly due to the 747, and other modern flight decks, but i think trying to get onto some elites could be good practise, even if its for old time sake. :)

Thanks again.

B:)

pipertommy
8th Nov 2007, 09:41
Not advertising,but you should have a look at wilco pilot in command addons 737,320.....ect very good all systems working (ins,fmc ect)to help build knowledge and very realistic.Try a search on google:ok:

Parson
8th Nov 2007, 12:25
Have been thinking in investing in Elite Pro and a proper control column and multi quadrant. It looks a much better set up than my current flight sim + joystick.
I might for the'premium package' which inlcudes an MD81 - does anyone have any experience of that? Is it fairly representative of othe more common glass cockpits? Can you buy add ons?