PDA

View Full Version : BRITANNIA ?????

L.THOMAS
26th Aug 2001, 22:27
Just looking at the times and it says they will be laying 500 crew off due to their lack of being able to compete with low cost airlines and people booking on-line.Anyone heard about this??? :confused:

Manflex55
26th Aug 2001, 22:42
So why are they sending pilots' application forms all over the place ? Read the latest Britannia threads in the R&N forum, & don't pay too much attention to papers' gossip !

MF

L.THOMAS
26th Aug 2001, 23:42
So whats going on then ? where in this great county r u from ??? take it u r a britannia lad?????????

AMEX
27th Aug 2001, 04:29
Britannia is a charter airline. They don't sell seats but provide transport for the tour operators that charter Britannia. A small side of their activity uses a scheduled airline call sign but it is not how a charter operation is defined.
The low cost operators however, operate a schedule time table like BA does but are not on the Britannia's market. I guess JMC could be seen as a competitor but here, I feel that contracts are concluded at a different level possibly involving the airline but more likely, the group that owns it.

davidbwa
27th Aug 2001, 22:45
The low fare airlines are competing against Britannia et al as people now can book holidays independently (seperate flights and hotels) via the internet etc for the same price as an IT package. Also Britannia as well as many other charter airlines direct sell some of their seats. There are also lots of direct sell seat only companies who charter a/c and flog the seats (teletext, internet) who are losing business to the great orange one and others.

AMEX
28th Aug 2001, 06:07
Can't think of many low cost going to LCA, FCL,POP,Izmir,TLV,Ibiza, (long haul to Cuba, caribbeans).... let me know, specially since many of charter airlines are operating things like 757/767/A320/A330, when in comparison the low cost flyw 737, 146 (EZ,FR,Buzz,...)
I was more under the impression that the low cost were concentrating on high revenue routes like (from the UK) NCE, BCN,GVA,LPL,HAN,... or odd routes like POI and stuffs.