PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical

Rhondorian
6th Nov 2007, 16:48
Hello I am 14 years old and have a serious ambition to be an airline pilot when im older and I understand that to be an airline pilot you see to hold a class 1 medical and renew this every 6 months depending on how old you are. I currently have no health problems that I am aware of except that I wear glasses is there anything I can ask the optician about my eyesight relating to the class 1 medical next time I go? Will it be easy for me to obtain and if so im currently thinking of doing A-Level Maths and Science after my GCSE's as this would help me in my career should I try and get a class 1 medical before I start doing my A-Levels as this could potentialy be a waste of time of me going to further education for 2 years studying A-levels if I am not going to be able to past the test to become an airline pilot and when I do I have to get the updated every 6 months or so what is the figures of people passing these tests and keeping them? Is it rare to loose a class 1 medical?

Sorry for so many questions I hope you all understand that I am just concerned and want to find out what could damage my ambitions and would really appreciate if you could take the time to answer.

Thanks in advance.

redsnail
6th Nov 2007, 17:07
Most folks lose their medical from heart trouble or diabetes. It's fairly rare for folks to lose their medical. It does happen but largely, it's up to you to keep reasonably fit and healthy.

There is an eye standard, see the link I've supplied on the previous question or google CAA and wade through all that. You're looking for JAR FCL-3 I think.

Glasses aren't a problem per se, it depends on what correction they need to do. Again, I don't have these specific numbers to hand, it's all online.

The 6 monthly checks are now 12 monthly checks.

Study what you'll enjoy. Maths and Science is important, but staying awake and passing the exams is even more important.

Sir Richard
6th Nov 2007, 18:44
This is a good place to start your research...I think you will find most of the answers here
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49

:8