PDA

View Full Version : Line Training To Go In Europe

be142736
25th Aug 2001, 15:25
Under the new JAR European regulations Cabin Crew will no longer be required to under go any line training unless they are operating a single crew aircraft. This means that someone fresh out of initial training or conversion courses will now only need either an Aircraft visit on a single sector Fam Flight.
One airline is already concidering scraping all line training as it is too expensive. :rolleyes:
What do you think? Should there be line training? Or is it just a waste of time and money?

Evacu8
25th Aug 2001, 20:14
I think it depends on how comprehensive the airline's ground training is.

At Qantas (Longhaul), we dont have line training at all, just a five week ground training course....which is pretty comprehensive. Initial crew are observed and checked by the Manager and/or Supervisor onboard their first few flights, but they dont have an actual line trainer, or anyone to tell them what to do. We obviously take it easy on them, and everyone pitches in to show them the 'right' way of doing things ;) .... but it seems to work well - we have a very comprehensive ground training program.

Having said that, this is the third airline I have flown for, and the only one that does not have line training. I can see the benefits of line training, and have been a line trainer in my previous two airlines (it was great !)... but in QF Longahul, it doesnt seem that necessary.

One reason may be that the juniors tend only to get 'long-range' flying (eg LAX directs, JNB directs, LHR or FRA..... ie trips with 12-15 hour sectors)... so even on their first flight, they have a fair bit of time to settle in to the routine. Most places are a hell of a long way from Australia !! So our long haul is really long haul !! Plus they are (in theory) only allowed to work in cabin positions in Economy class, so they dont need to know First or Business class procedures, or how to work in the galley - for the first two years of service. So that would make it a bit easier.

It obviously isnt part of our aviation laws down here to have enforced line training!