PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Service Circus

surfside6
6th Nov 2007, 07:08
Blackberries are to be provided to CSMs.
Five year old technology and not 3G.
The infamous "horeshoe" on 747s is to be transferred from C Zone to E zone.
Lets upset 150 people instead of 60.
Water is now to be offered immediately after takeoff...further pushing back the commencement of the meal service..making it later and later before pax(and in particular children) are to eat.
The introduction of Premium Economy will put a greater strain on the already stretched manpower.
This is"ad hoc"management at its worst...jumping in six directions at once.
Doing a "lot" poorly instead of getting the basics right.
CC will be further disengaged...... if that is possible.
The quality of people coming into Cabin Crew ranks has declined markedly over the last few years.
The equivalent of Centrelink in NZ is being used to recruit crew.
Promote onboard managers from within the AKL base is absolutely astonishing in its stupidity.
A totally independant base that self monitors.A recipe for total disaster.
For those of you who find QF Cabin Service lacking....its about to get a whole lot worse!
Never let a domestic hostie design an international product!!!!

SOPS
6th Nov 2007, 07:11
what is a horeshoe???

Ace Wasabe
6th Nov 2007, 07:22
It has been said before elsewhere.
The service/tranport industry requires 2 things to succeed
(a)Happy motivated staff
(b)Provide them with resources to do their job.
Qantas fails miserably on both counts.Once extra capacity becomes available and travellers have a choice once again, Qantas is going to get creamed.
Qantas was once an industry leader now it just plays catchup...poorly
Sorry to say this but the Australian National icon is in its final death throes.Its being killed from within.
Tooths brewery died from similar management mentality and TCN 9 is also going the same way.
Never in its history has Qantas been so roundly criticized.
A bloody tragedy.....who is responsible?
The King of all Illegitimate Rodents....one G.R Dixon

surfside6
6th Nov 2007, 07:31
If you are sitting in the FG seats where the "horseshoe" is in operation you will receive your meal and drink approximately 20 to 30 minutes after your fellow travellers seated in the D and E seats.
Boring if you are sitting in the D and E seats but definitely not boring if you sitting in the F and G seats and are hungry.
The horseshoe measure is being relocated from C Zone to E Zone
to apparently appease Frequent Flyers who have had to endure this treatment for years
Introduced as a labour and cost saving measure and has never been successful from a pax point of view.
But hey ...who cares about the passenger in QF management? ...no one.
QF = Animal Farm.

SOPS
6th Nov 2007, 08:04
I dont even know why I am interested in this, but I ask anyway,

So what you are saying with this horseshoe thing is that you dont have a trolley going down each isle at once? You have one trolley that alternates between the left and right side of the aircraft, am I right?

If I am, no wonder pax are pissed off!

speedbirdhouse
6th Nov 2007, 08:29
Quote-

"From my experience it is to compensate for the galley being at door 2."
---------
Ah no.
The service flow operates in this fashion because QF don't have enough onboard staff to provide efficient service delivery.
---------
SOPs,

yes you are correct and on our current "Kangaroo" configs this situation effects C zone which is the smallest.
Transfer the situation to E zone and you manage to piss off the largest zone of passengers onboard.
Pure genius.

travel thickness
6th Nov 2007, 11:48
Hey MN 63 come down the back sometime and mix with the real workers in this airline.
Stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.
"The horseshoe compensates for the galley at door two"...what a load of rubbish...Pratt!

SOPS
6th Nov 2007, 12:04
What an amasing service concept.....not!!!!

travel thickness
6th Nov 2007, 12:32
MN 63 has a long neck so he must be a goose...was not my theory but one expressed to me by many crew numerous times.Havent bothered to check but hey it sounds okay.
But gee...is the moon really made of green Jarlsberg?

Chris Higgins
6th Nov 2007, 14:43
Well despite all this; I traveled to New Zealand and Australia with my boys aged 12, 6 and 3 a few months back and the service was absolutely superb. We went through LAX down to Auckland stayed for a few days and skied down at the national parks, then went over to Sydney stayed for a few weeks up near Port Macquarie and came back. It was flawless!

Bags arrived on-time and without damage, kids loved the food, the flight attendants were extremely caring and we had a great time.

No question about it. It was actually even better than the last time we went down.

RedTBar
6th Nov 2007, 19:48
Funny but I don't remember a horseshoe in 'E' zone but wait for the procedures for the A 380!!!!!!!

As far as crew goes wait for the supreme galley designs put forward by experts who flew on a 737 or not at all.

I remember one of the visitors 'counselling' a crew member after a pax complaint and when they were told it was because of the horseshoe asked
"What is a horseshoe?"

It's good to be managed (if you could call it that) by people who have more experience in answering phone calls or managing check outs in a supermarket than flying.:yuk:

kiwi chick
6th Nov 2007, 19:54
SOPS - I'll ask again for both of us (and I don't really know why I care, either, haha!)

What is a HORSESHOE?

RedTBar
6th Nov 2007, 20:24
Kiwichick,When QF first bought the 747 it was their first aircraft with twin aisles.In those days before business class was thought of they had 4 meal carts which understandably started at each corner of Y/C for the meal service.

When the bean counters started to do what they do best this reduced the crew numbers.This meant that instead of 8 crew in Y/C there was 6 which means that you can't operate 4 meals carts at once because QF carts are operated by 2 crew.

The problem created therefore was where best to allocate the 3 carts.It was decided by the brain surgeons in the office that now you started with 2 at the back of 'E' zone and one at the front which when it got to door L3 did a 'U' turn or horseshoe and went back up the front on the opposite side to which it started.

This means the pax at L3 who had read their menu and could see the meal service and had decided to have chicken or beef or whatever saw the meal cart turn away just when it got to them.To make matters worse it took the crew from the back and the horseshoe crew some time to get to the pax who were watching others eat and were thinking WTF.

Basically it's robbing Peter to pay Paul,if you get what I mean.I hope this clears it up for you.

My question though is if you don't really care why did you ask the question?

mudpig
6th Nov 2007, 22:27
I left said airline about 9 years ago, yes disgruntled and promising myself never to fly with them again. I've been saying it for years and I know alot of people on here having been saying the same thing. That is, the only thing bringing pax back is the safety record. God forbid our airline has a major "you know what" and we all pray it never happens. But, if it does this airline will be finished. :(

In the numerous times I have flown with them there is only once I can remember that I can say "Hey, that was a great flight with good service".

The rest were terrible. Here are just a couple:
On a flight to Christchurch I remember on climb out of Sydney the seatbelt light went out the crew brought around the light snack then retired to the galley.......for the rest of the flight, curtains drawn. People were hitting the call buttons every couple of minutes with no response and having to go to the galley and ask for drinks. Absolutely disgusting and true.

Two months ago I took my family on a trip to Europe, wife and two kids.
Syd-HKG and HKG-SYD legs were Qf. Trip out, very ordinary nothing special. So boring in fact I barely remember it (and no there was no booze consumed by myself, maybe I should have had some come to think of it).
Anyway, our homeward bound leg. Are you ready for this? 744 aircraft, unhappy and sour cabin crew (what crap uniforms), on take off at HKG (I was positive we weren't getting off the ground, longest take off run I've ever experienced, yes it was hot, I know) the main gear left the runway and the pride of the fleet vibrated (like a giant had taken a jack hammer to the fuselage) for about 15 seconds. In all my flying I have never experienced anything like this and it scared the absolute crap out of me (and I love flying). Imagine driving your car doin about 80 and hitting consecutive speed humps one after the other, that's what it felt like.

Now just remember I had my kids on this flight and to top it off. The inflight entertainment system failed at the beginning of the flight lol and remained out for the entire flight. So it was up to me and my wife to keep my young kids occupied. Unbelievable:hmm:, not. And guess what? In the middle of the flight the CSM came around and gave me a survey form to fill out. YES that's priceless. Filled it out telling them exactly how I felt highlighting all the problems, provided my details and wrote on it I wanted to be contacted to inform me they had received it. Have I been called? I hear you ask. What do you think?
OF COURSE NOT.:=

Good on you DIXON you d:mad:khead you and your buddies have really stuffed a good airline. I pray that Qf never looses an aircraft not only for the loss of life but also for the fact that the only thing keeping this airline profitable and flying (it's safety record) will also be lost. Which may result in the demise of our national carrier.

Apologies to any I have offended in writing this (except for you Dixon). Sad but true. I really needed to put in my 2 bobs, no, fifty bucks worth in on this one. I look forward to some interesting replies. Thanks for reading this far.:ok:

mrpaxing
6th Nov 2007, 23:19
the way the GD and his cronies measure success. he has 18 month or so to go before he retires in glory. maximise profits in that time.there will be little extra capacity on the market/routes(lack of aircraft) so the planes going to be full anyway. and lets get the service standards down to jetstar levels so there is no difference between the two in 5 years. and hey who cares whats after july 09, GD is gone, let the next bunny pick up the disaster.:rolleyes:

cartexchange
6th Nov 2007, 23:24
mudpig you comments are true!
things are going to get worse, they now are conducting an audit on soft drinks and wet ice!
they are trying to tell us that by reducing the amount of ice put on board they will save on fuel and also help the environment!! what a farking joke.
the same applies with soft drinks, they are going to cut it so fine, that we will no longer be able to offer you a coke at the end of the flight.
its got nothing to do with the environment, basically if we save on some fuel a middle manager somewhere will get a huge bonus for cutting costs.

DEFCON4
7th Nov 2007, 00:04
Last Time I did a CHC we provided a full hot meal service.

surfside6
7th Nov 2007, 00:09
The Horseshoe did indeed start off in "E"Zone but it upset so many people that moved it forward so that it upset less people.But hey..they moved it to where the FFs travel...Oops!
It has taken them about eigth years to figure that one out.
Note Bene:MN 63 has decided to withdraw his assinine comments

mudpig
7th Nov 2007, 21:54
Defcon
Oh yeah I'm sure. Mind you this was in about '94-'95 thereabouts. There what a lot goin on in the company back then with cost cutting. Oh yeah there where some tensions in the cabin I'll tell you that for nothin.
People off loading at the end of the flight were tellin the cabin crew where to stick their "Thanks for flying with us" routine.

I can just say I was glad I was flyin on ID90 rates.

travel thickness
8th Nov 2007, 10:12
You are no longer allowed to use the PA system to apologize for Service Failures.Probably because you would using it every five minutes.
1.Insufficient meals to provide adequate meal choice
2.Fruit at 30% loading
3.Hot chocolate at 70% loading
4.Already reduced levels of soft drinks
5.The infamous IFE system
6.Lighting systems failing
7.Engineering unable to cope because of major downsizing.
8.Childrens amenity packs in short supply
9.Some ports short of headsets
10.Shortage of J/C and P/C amenity packs network wide.
The list goes on.
Once more capacity is available with other carriers.....QF will lose premium travellers in droves

Tropicalchief
8th Nov 2007, 22:23
Personnally, I have been unable to recommend Qantas to anybody since the mid nineties in any class of service. In 06 I travelled to SFO in economy class and was appalled by the food and the cramped conditions. The meal took about three hours to complete because of understaffing, the "service" itself took about six hours with a hot chocolate or camomile tea service immediately after the dinner service, then the snack was handed out and it was pure carbohydrate. The IFE did not work either going or coming, the crew performed admirably but were clearly doing their best under the circumstances.
Premium class passengers on Qantas would desert in droves if they were exposed to the service given on other carriers, Thai, SQ, CX, which I am sure they do when they realise they are being ripped off by QF. I am not sure how FF points work but if I had a bank of points with QF I would use them to access flights on One World partner airlines like CX who have far more flights into and out of Australia to the world from far more cities in Australia than does Qantas.
Until Qantas management decides it must compete, a dirty word I suspect in management circles, unfortunately, the airline is doomed to the status of a third world airline.

Pundit
8th Nov 2007, 22:33
We always blame GD.

Perhaps Little John and Leslie G are responsible?

The service solution is simple. Allow competition on the pacific.

Butterfield8
9th Nov 2007, 05:25
Well its gone from Apology Airlines to The Flying Circus.
Neither one is particularly flattering.
Amusing yes....but not flattering.
QF management rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Provide a little more ice in your glass and then totally alienate the frontline staff that are supposed to make the mess work.
Pure unadulterated stupidity coupled with worst people management I have ever encountered'.
Employees need to be motivated.
Fear and intimidation have never ever been usefull motivational tools.
Have you ever seen the Fat Controller(AW) or the Black Widow(LG) on QCC1
Its doubtful that they even know where it is

mach2male
10th Nov 2007, 03:22
Qantas Service is the complete and perfect oxymoron.
Qantas Employees are being set up to fail.Before they even get to work they are aware that the coming day will bring failures.
These failures are down to under resourcing.There comes a point where reduced manpower and increase workload intersect with devastating on performance and product delivery.
Unfortunately for Qantas Customers and employees that point was reached about 4 years ago .
The situation has worsened considerably since then.
The main area of serious concern now is engineering.Tech Logs on a majority of a/c have outstanding issues going unresolved for weeks.
The holes in the Swiss Cheese are aligning

Tropicalchief
10th Nov 2007, 04:35
The product does not measure up. Compared to other carriers, QF P/J/Y does not compete. It's cheap. Highest airfares for P/J and service wise it's lousy. The seats, the add ons, the food, check-in, every aspect of the airline is second rate. Why people continue to buy tickets from QF astounds me especially knowing what is available from other carriers.

These shortfalls should be made public for the singular purpose of exposing management for the deception they have perpetrated on the people who pay to use QF services. And Alan Joyce wonders why the Japanese have not taken to Jetstar services ex Japan. The same reason QF does not rate, it lacks prestige.

Ace Wasabe
3rd Dec 2007, 07:25
Management are always going on about cultural awareness.
Perhaps they should put those who plan menus through a cultural awareness course.
Some bright spark has included "lamb" on the QF 21 menu.
It is well known that the Japanese population finds lamb distasteful.
Even the smell can lead to negative comments.
After reports from crew about this situation the load scale has been reduced from %50 to %30.
How about reducing it to %0?
QF aspires to be the best airline in the world....they need to lift the bar a long away if they are to compete with Emirates,Cathay and Singair.
Perhaps a little research into cultural culinary differences may also be appropriate.
C'mon guys......"do it right"

gfpt5
3rd Dec 2007, 08:12
Last month flight from Mabila to Sydney QF20 there was no little bags for night and there were no breakfast served.

HotDog
3rd Dec 2007, 09:16
I am retired CX tech crew and used to very good service by CX cabin crew. I have recently taken a couple of trips on QF577, SYD/PER and QF580, PER/SYD on the 743 classic. I must say that each trip in EY was extremely comfortable with fully serviceable IFE, good cabin service and on time performance. :ok:

BombsGone
3rd Dec 2007, 09:41
I fly Qantas domestically for work. Recently the check in performance particularly at Brisbane has become woeful. It takes over half an hour to check in even at off peak times. Like most Australians I don't do queuing, so this Christmas I'm flying my family Virgin. Have had no other complaints with the service but the thought of an hour in a queue with small children is to much. I hope they fix this because I've come to dread travelling with them.

Sunfish
3rd Dec 2007, 18:21
TC:

Why people continue to buy tickets from QF astounds me especially knowing what is available from other carriers.

They don't have any choice but to fly Qantas because all the other carriers flights are full, and Qantas refuses to let them increase their capacity.

I do not know one person who will willingly fly Qantas if an alternative presents itself.

Open the skies and end this farce.

ANstar
3rd Dec 2007, 20:19
Aren't QF introducing one more CC on the 747 when the new cheaper labour kicks in? (ie the new 2000 hires on 50% less $)

B A Lert
3rd Dec 2007, 20:48
Sunfish wrote

They don't have any choice but to fly Qantas because all the other carriers flights are full, and Qantas refuses to let them increase their capacity

This is of course total cow manure. Qantas has nothing to do with the allocation of capacity, domestically or internationally. Anyone can put on domestic capacity provided they have an AOC, the equipment and resources. Constraints on domestic capacity went out the door with the demise of the pernicious Two Airline Policy.

Internationally, capacity to and from Australia is regulated by the Australian Government, of which Qantas is not part. If Qantas is able to influence Govt policy to its benefit, then so be it. Make no mistake, those advocating 'open skies' are doing so on account of their self-interest, nothing more, nothing less.

Sunfish - you mar your good points made by you unmitigated and blind hatred of all things Qantas. Time to change your glasses and take in an alternative but valid view!!:ok::ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
3rd Dec 2007, 21:59
Had a similar experience on QF30 LHR-HKG-MEL recently - no night bags loaded at LHR, not fixed at HKG but most annoyingly - no announcements to explain - probably pissed the crew off more than me as they were asked indivicually by everyone within earshot.

The other comical item is the new 'plan your flight' guides at the bottom of the menu. Seems no-one told the crew who manged to approximately reverse the first 3 hours advertised.

To be fair, I also did Syd-JNB in J on the same trip and rate it infinintely superior to BA J (JNB-LHR was worse service than QF Y).

UTR.

Sunfish
4th Dec 2007, 00:29
Lerty, it's you who are talking cow manure.

Internationally, capacity to and from Australia is regulated by the Australian Government, of which Qantas is not part. If Qantas is able to influence Govt policy to its benefit, then so be it. Make no mistake, those advocating 'open skies' are doing so on account of their self-interest, nothing more, nothing less.

A succession of Labor and Liberal "Mates" have occupied Qantas Board seats for forty years. Qantas is an expert lobbiest, or have'nt you remembered what happened last time Singapore applied for extra capacity and got knocked back thanks to the Marg and Geoff show????

Furthermore there is absolutely nothing wrong with self interest, its what free enterprise and a market economy is all about, and Qantas is just as self interested (to the tune of a billion dollar profit) as the rest of them, as are you, as are I.

Hence, your love of free market economics and imported products ceases immediately its your turn to cop some competition.

It has been demonstrated time and again by Economists and in economics, that protectionism always costs more jobs than it creates, and your feeble and pathetic efforts to justify protecting Qantas are just plain stupid. Furthermore, if other airlines or Governments are prepared to subsidise my flights be charging lower taxes, then so be it.

The most likely thing that would happen in the event of opening the skies, would be a leaner more efficient Qantas with less management and lower profits and a lower share price, and if, in the unlikely event that QF did go tits up as a result of competition, and someone then tries to screw us, then we just start another airline.

Providing more competition by increasing capacity on International routes by allowing more airlines and more flights into Australia will remove the ""Qantas Tax" we all have to pay to preserve your rotten job.

Open the skies.

B A Lert
4th Dec 2007, 01:13
To put the record straight

I do not work for Qantas

My job is not 'rotten' as you so eloquently describe it.

Furthermore, you will never know my employment

stable approach
4th Dec 2007, 01:20
About three weeks ago I tried to buy tickets on SQ from SIN to BNE and return.The return flights for the few days before and after my preferred date were all overbooked by 15. I checked the online agencies and found that the only available seats were on Qantas, so I reluctantly bought tickets with them.
I checked the loadings with Qantas through a friend who can check the QF website. There were 70 seats available on my preferred date of travel on their one daily flight, codeshared with two other airlines. The same day SQ had three flights using aircraft with configuration of 333 seats. So they had 999 plus 45 overbookings.
The 70 seats on QF have probably been booked by now, by pax who couldn't get on other airlines.
Doesn't this tell us something?

oil additive
4th Dec 2007, 02:28
I'm a QF Gold Frequent Flyer/QF Club member that has decided enough is enough! I recently flew VB PER/MEL/PER and found the staff a hell of a lot more friendly, both in the air and on the ground.

I've had more horror stories on QF in recent years than I care to mention, including a cup of tea spilt on me, baggage missing, etc, etc. My observation if you happen to fly on a QF 747/300...the crew are old, bitter and twisted ex long haul that need a rocket up their a$%e!!:mad:

VB's new Foxtel was much more enjoyable than QF's inflight entertainment and it was complementary there and back....not sure whether that is the norm or not? :ok:

In short, QF have to lift their game to get my business back!

blueloo
4th Dec 2007, 02:56
I doubt spilling a cup of tea was intentional. That can happen even on the best of airlines. I think they are referred to as accidents. Whilst not desirable, hardly something to get ones wee wee in a knot over. The rest of your opinion I am sure has some validity.

Unfortunately Geoffs policy of shareholders before customers before staff appears to be taking its toll.

Keg
4th Dec 2007, 03:33
...if you happen to fly on a QF 747/300...the crew are old, bitter and twisted ex long haul that need a rocket up their a$%e!!

Not 'ex' long haul at all.....current long haul in fact. I won't comment on whether they are old, bitter and twisted and need a rocket! :ok:

Perhaps with the new crappy terms and conditions the FAAA are about sign off on we may find that QF finally start recruiting long haul F/As again. About the only people that will be keen to sign on to those conditions will be the younglings looking to see the world. We can only hope! :E :}

RedTBar
4th Dec 2007, 05:20
Keg,How long do you reckon the younglings as you put it will be fresh and happy especially when they find out how much pay the crew they will be working with get.
Not only that but the newbies will be working considerably longer hours and thats going to go down like a warm beer.
But it sounds like your more interested in fantasizing about younglings instead of thinking how good they are if the manure hits the fan.

Keg
4th Dec 2007, 06:19
Sarcasm and satire is obviously lost on some. If you're after my thoughts on the merits of B scales then a search of my posts- particularly on the recent C/C LH EBA thread- may be useful. :rolleyes:

RedTBar
4th Dec 2007, 06:41
Mate thats the first example I have seen of sarcasm and satire used like that.

About the only people that will be keen to sign on to those conditions will be the younglings looking to see the world. We can only hope!

Atlas Shrugged
4th Dec 2007, 21:58
Frankly, I couldn't be bothered with Qantas anymore and have stopped flying with them. If I want to fly anywhere within AUS, I fly myself. Once a year when I travel overseas to the UK for business, then Emirates first class (at LESS THAN half the price of Qantas business class!!) is the only way to go.

I neither care for, nor am even the slightest bit interested in whatever internal issues Qantas has. I don't like what they offer me for MY money, so I go elsewhere, in fact I'm fecked if I know why I wasted 5 mins of my day typing this

Dropt McGutz
4th Dec 2007, 22:11
Unfortunately executive management appear to have no leadership skills. This reflects upon the extremely low morale amongst staff (and subsequently costs the company potentially higher earnings. And higher executive bonus's?????......)

lowerlobe
4th Dec 2007, 22:19
then Emirates first class (at LESS THAN half the price of Qantas business class!!) is the only way to go.

Atlas Shrugged.....When I saw your post I thought you beauty I'll go Emirates next time but when I checked their respective web sites it didn't add up...

First on Emirates to LHR was around $17,000
First on QF to LHR was around $16000

Business on Emirates to LHr was around $8000
Business on QF to LHR was around $12000

These figures are return...

So Business is a huge advantage for Emirates but first class on Emirates is no where near half the QF business class.

...Or do you have another way like buying a round the world ticket to get the difference?

lowerlobe
4th Dec 2007, 22:24
Dropt McGutz is right as you should not blame the staff for any short comings.

The blame sits squarely on the shoulders of management because their attitude filters down to employee's although I understand what people say when they don't want to spend their money on QF.

ZK-NSJ
4th Dec 2007, 23:16
im not usually one to complain, but on a recent (august) syd-chc flight
i have decided to fly business class as a bit of a treat to myself,
breakfast comes round, i chose museli i think it was, the csm (or whatever its called these days) walks straight past with the milk after serving the bloke next to me,
now im not one for the govenment owning everything, but i think its time kev stepped up to the plate, brought back qantas and commenced a sweep of all the deadwood (start from the top) get it back to the good old days
where it was a pleasure to fly

Atlas Shrugged
4th Dec 2007, 23:49
Or do you have another way like buying a round the world ticket to get the difference?

Don't have the papers with me at the mo but when I flew SSY-LHR in Feb this year QF business was, I think, $12,236 and EM first was $6,490 or somtehing like, that through a travel agent in Sydney. I'll have root around and see if I can find the exact details

left 4 primary
5th Dec 2007, 00:21
Qf recently spent a lot of money replacing all the economy trays, cups etc.
The money should of been spent on fixing the IFE. Not one pax so far has made any comment about the new trays, but people that have no IFE for 12hrs + get pretty peeved off and believe me, have plenty to say.

Another well thought out idea from management.

Dropt McGutz
5th Dec 2007, 01:00
The new crockery was chosen to save weight ie. less fuel burn.

sinala1
5th Dec 2007, 01:15
Here's an idea to save weight/fuel burn - remove the IFE altogether if it never works! Would save a whooole lot more than changing the crockery around :}

RedTBar
5th Dec 2007, 01:23
This may sound like a novel idea but how about buying a ife system that works in the first place.
and if you want to save money don't give a bonus to someone when things they authorised don't work.
They are only our customers so if they can't work out how to keep them happy turn it into a freight airline.
That would save a packet because we would not need pax services,CC management,ff schemes and lounges for a start.

woftam
5th Dec 2007, 06:29
No...............I know.......................let's change the shape of the Kangaroo......................oh........................and change the font of the lettering .....................that should waste a few millions that could be better spent elswhere !!!
:ugh:

lowerlobe
5th Dec 2007, 07:27
that should waste a few millions that could be better spent elswhere !!!

.......Yep,Darth's next Bonus.....:yuk:

rammel
5th Dec 2007, 22:27
From what I have been told by a number of people, the ife QF chose, was not the one recommended by the staff that were doing the selection process. It ended up being selected by Marketing.

Angle of Attack
5th Dec 2007, 22:47
Rammel that notion is seconded! It was indeed chosen by marketing even after the selection staff recommended an alternative! (ie it was cheaper!)

twiggs
6th Dec 2007, 00:03
The other cheaper alternative they went for was Airbus over Boeing.

Keg
6th Dec 2007, 00:28
Rammel, incorrect. I have spoken at some length to one of the engineers who was on the selection committee for the much maligned IFE. Although now retired he goes to my church and is in my parents Bible study group.

I joked with him that he was the one to blame for me spending long amounts of time on SATCOM discussing with the maintenance watch how to solve the myriad of problems. He acknowledged that indeed he was part of the process and that the company took the recommendation from the committee on which he was a part. That the successful tenderer didn't deliver wasn't foreseeable at the time and he felt that any committee today faced with the information that they had at the time would probably make the same decision. He acknowledged that hindsight is a wonderful thing.

This shouldn't be confused with the process that went towards buying the A330. My understanding is that the recommendation from both Flight Ops and engineering was to not go with the A330. However they were just two voices at the table and the aircraft selection 'committee' (not sure of their precise make up or whether they Flight Ops and Engineering have a vote at the table or just provide 'information') decided to go with the A330.

lowerlobe
6th Dec 2007, 00:51
The other cheaper alternative they went for was Airbus over Boeing.

However they were just two voices at the table and the aircraft selection 'committee' (not sure of their precise make up or whether they Flight Ops and Engineering have a vote at the table or just provide 'information') decided to go with the A330.

Did your section have anything to do with that twiggs?

It's hard to imagine that the old 'cartridge' film system gave fewer problems that the much vaunted IFE system installed......At least most of the flights in those days were shorter....