PDA

View Full Version : "Bend over..." - when airlines think we'll fight to fly for them

Stratocaster
8th May 2001, 16:35
Little advert posted by Skyjet on climbto350.com...

"Positions available as DC10 Flight Attendant during Summer 2001. Cabin crews must be fluent in English and we prefer they will be able to speak and understand the French language but not mandatory. All crews will be UK based (at their own expenses)"

At their own expenses ?!?!?!?
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif
Unless you live nearby the airport (not mentioned in the ad) or sleep on a bench in the departure hall, who would accept that ?

Xenia
8th May 2001, 20:28
I assume it depends as well in how much money they're paying people....
How much are they giving as basic wages? is it above average? any ideas?

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

Stratocaster
9th May 2001, 01:07
They're known for paying the minimum !!!! (roughly 500 £)

...Or much lower than that if possible. I wouldn't even be surprised if it were on a free-lance basis only (otherwise they would have said the length of the contract in the ad). 'Talked to one of their ex-F/A's, he said turn-over rate reaches 80-90% each year.

Xenia
9th May 2001, 01:23
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif ... 500 and u still have to live on your own expenses??? I see....maybe they're thinking Cabin Crew will share a tent off the main runway :)
Do they also give you a brum, as part of the uniform, to swipe the DC-10 aisles while you secure the cabin for landing? :)
I just heard in the morning our collegues up up north don't get even flight pay!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif and all they take home is 600 GBP per month :rolleyes: ...regardless of duty hours http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif
Is it my impression or the "market" is getting worse and worse???

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

englandair
9th May 2001, 20:11
Who are Skyjet?

Stratocaster
9th May 2001, 20:37
Xenia,

apparently the broom is part of the uniform indeed. But decency forbids me to reveal where you're supposed to shove it since F/A's are requested to swipe the aisles while serving the pax !
:)

gulf-crew
10th May 2001, 17:02
I thought they would be ok to work for got in touch with an agency who said that they were ok. Anybody any ideas where they be operating from and salary routes etc

Stratocaster
10th May 2001, 18:38
Gulf-crew,

If something like 500£ (around 700 $) for a 50 or even 60 hrs contract on DC10, without per diem+hotac in your base (which is probably not your home town), is okay for you, how much do you get in the Gulf ???
I'm just asking...

Englandair,

just run a search in the "Rumours & News" section with "skyjet" as keyword. They have a website, but they don't seem to care a lot about that: it hasn't been updated for a year !
:)

euroboy
11th May 2001, 14:56
The problem will be that people not in the know will apply and they will get the job hence they will get away with it. They know that so many want to do the job they wont have problems getting crews and if a few bods have been turned down from other airlines they will take it. Some hopefuls may use it as a stepping stone to other carriers.

......and that basic...oooo...it my allowances in a month!

gulf-crew
14th May 2001, 19:14
stratocaster

was just wondering what the company was like not desp for a job but they advertised so applied you never know.

As a number one in the gulf pay approx £1500 per month tax free plus no accom costs or bills except int phone calls.

but looking to get back to uk, and a jobs a job thanks for the reply anyway

five percent
19th May 2001, 00:18
Do we now have to pay for the glamour?

Not sure what position number one Gulf Crew is but I get 1,000 pounds before I get out of bed (pretty sad compared with Linda et al) but 2,000 tax free a month is average.

Had thoughts about the return to UK but really what is the point in losing money each month on 30 thousand plus management salary when the sun ain't gonna shine and nobody feels like smiling anyway!

Happy little soul in mid-east who leaves all problems behind when the doors are disarmed!

Stratocaster
24th May 2001, 23:44
This forum is generating fascinating e-mails...

> During a recent Haj contract, one of our stewardesses fell ill. We were
> based in the Middle-East and life’s never easy for women there, especially
> if you’re from Europe. Skyjet called a doctor (paid by the company) who
> diagnozed an illness that could be very serious –even fatal- if not treated
> in time (don’t ask me what she had, I can’t remember). She was not well at
> all, very worried, and looking forward to go home asap, so she asked to be
> sent back to Belgium. I guess anybody would have done the same thing in a
> situation like that ! Anyway... Skyjet said they were ready to let her go
> but there was one condition: that she was ON DUTY on our next flight to
> Paris and that she paid her ticket on the train to Brussels (Skyjet would
> not refund it)!
> She agreed (what choice did she have ?), but fortunately once on board the
> Senior Purser put her on a jump-seat in the cockpit and that’s where she
> spent the whole flight, totally knocked-out by her illness and the
> medication she received before leaving.