PDA

View Full Version : Commercial License with a Night Flight Restriction. Possible?

kmarkley
5th Nov 2007, 01:00
Has anyone managed to get a Commercial License even though they have a night flight restriction (color vision) on their medical? I've contacted a half dozen FSDO's and most BUT NOT ALL say I can't get around the solo night requirements. One of the offices suggested I contact Okalahoma and try for a waiver. Has anyone ever done this? If so how?

Background: I've failed the pseudo-isochromatic plate tests that are supposed to be the easiet for color deficients to pass; I've failed the Farnsworth Lantern; and I have zero confidence I'll pass the light gun test (I've taken a "practice test" at a local tower). I'm a true red-green color deficient (protanomoly) but would like to become a glider tow pilot and fly for compensation during daylight hours only. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

ab33t
5th Nov 2007, 07:21
Ok , I have gone down the same path as you but was lucky to scape through the ishihara and lantern test. You can get a restricted CPL in the UK I dont know about the US , so if you are really keen on flying and doing that it can be done. I cant get a JAA 1st class medical but do hold a FAA 1st class so Im going down that route. Just completed my IR and busy with CPL. Where there is a way there is a will.