PDA

View Full Version : Lear 35 crashes into houses in Sao Paulo

robbreid
4th Nov 2007, 23:54
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=243_1194218625
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/11/04/brazil.crash.ap/index.html

alemaobaiano
5th Nov 2007, 10:22
Executive flight, take off from Campo de Marte (SBMT) heading for Rio, came down on house shortly after take-off. 2 crew and 6 members of the same family in the house are reported to have lost their lives. RIP.

Another sad day in Brazilian aviation.

preta
6th Nov 2007, 18:41
it seems as right engine was idling or windmilling.see at TV one engine with
blades in good condition(sure after a crash)
preta

lomapaseo
7th Nov 2007, 00:21
it seems as right engine was idling or windmilling.see at TV one engine with
blades in good condition(sure after a crash)
preta

That kind of deduction needs to also consider whether these blades were protected from impact crushing during the accident. If the cases are still relatively round and the nose bullet still present then the blades could still be relatively undamaged as the engine ran-down during the impact for lack of fuel, etc.

Richard_Brazil
5th Feb 2008, 02:33
One of the mysteries of the crash was why the jet turned to the right, while the usual flight path is to the left. The plane fell on the right wing.

I heard the causes from someone who had heard the black box, a few days before it hit the newspaper. The articles roughly follow the write-up I did at the time, so I'm not going to translate an article.

The transcription of the black-box of the Learjet has leaked. It seems that at the Learjet's hanger, cramped conditions make it hard to fill the left tank, which is in the left wing. The pilot's normal procedure was to fill the right tank, and pump fuel to the left tank while taxiing.

The co-pilot was new, had been with the pilot for only a month or two. While taxiing, the pilot was on his cell phone, and told the co-pilot to equalize the tanks. The co-pilot stated he was doing so. Arriving at the head of the runway, the co-pilot said the tanks were still not equal, and suggested they do a pre-flight check. The pilot said they were running late, and should just get going.

However, fuel had apparently not been transferred at all, and the right wing was 300 kg heavier than the left wing. That's why instead of the usual turn to the left, the plane turned to the right. There's apparently dialog to the effect that, "You son of a bitch, you didn't transfer fuel".

However, it does explain both the turn to right and the manner in which the Learjet fell.

robbreid
5th Feb 2008, 04:02
It wouldn't be the first time a lear crashed under similar circumstances.

However, I'm a little shocked to hear, (if true), they refuel a jet indoors! First I'd be shocked that it would be legal, and 2nd how hard is it to pull the lear outside, where the fuel truck is anyway, and fuel it???

As for a fuel imbalance, that I could see happening, and has happened in the past!!!

Chippie Chappie
5th Feb 2008, 05:42
Rob, they Thunderbirds have been doing it for a long time over there on Tracey Island and had no mishaps. :ok:

I guess taxiing and cell phone use are not good friends. Nice comment from the captain. Relinquishing his responsibility of command was he? :ugh:

His dudeness
5th Feb 2008, 09:19
The Copilot is always guilty. Works fine for me... :D

Okok, I´m getting my coat...

Never flown the 35, but talked to a 35 driver the other day, he told me that they have a problem with fuel transfering itself to the lower tank (apparently a valve not closing completely...) Whats the max imbalance on these, 300 lbs?

What a stupid way to die... and yes, talking on the cell during taxi is a nono.
One of my former DO´s did that all the time, even nearly driving off the taxiway wouldn´t stop him...