PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Or Adsl Cable?

TURIN
4th Nov 2007, 22:23
So, here's the thing.
Phone line comes in on one side of the house, smart new PC Media Centre set up 10M away on the other side.
Question.
Do I use a loooong ADSL cable from phone socket filter to my router and a short Ethernet cable to the PC
OR
a short ADSL cable to my router and a looooong Ethernet cable to the PC ?
Which would give better results. The prices of cables seem to be similar so no clues there.
My router is wifi capable and can be positioned anywhere as required, but I don't want to load up the wifi any more as we already run two laptops and an internet radio/media streamer on it. Also, I like the security of a hard wired primary system.
I did a search but nothing answered my specific issue.
Thanks in advance. :ok:
T.

Bushfiva
5th Nov 2007, 00:29
Long ethernet cable.

Avtrician
5th Nov 2007, 01:05
Put the ADSL modem close to a power supply, and run cables as needed. Unless you running cables fora coupla hundred meters, it doesnt make much difference.

Phone cable is thin, and Beige (at least it is here in Oz), so is easier to hide.

stickyb
5th Nov 2007, 01:31
Using a long ADSL cable could possibly degrade the speed a little. Possible but unlikey.
On the other hand, a long ADSL cable would allow you to run both PC and moden from a the power supply shouold you wish to use UPS.

Mac the Knife
5th Nov 2007, 05:24
Doesn't really matter. Just try not to route cables close to electrically noisy things like fridges, microwaves etc.

:ok:

Background Noise
5th Nov 2007, 06:03
I have the main BT socket in one corner of the lounge, an extension runs up to a socket in a bedroom. From there I ran a DIY extension across the roof space and down into another room where I now plug in my wired modem or router and the ADSL signal is fine.

The Flying Pram
5th Nov 2007, 10:21
If you are running extension phone cables make sure you use proper twisted pair type, not the flat very flexible ones with cores running side by side. Twisted pairs give much greater immunity from interference which is important if you are wanting to run data through them.

TURIN
5th Nov 2007, 20:05
Thank you all.

Been offered a long ethernet cable gratis today so job done.

Cheers,

T. :ok: