PDA

View Full Version : Private Pilot License Training - Non US

xbilz
4th Nov 2007, 22:06
Hi Everyone,

Before you take your guns out :eek:, let me tell you that I have searched on pprune but I could not get much info on this.

I am looking to take 3-4 weeks off work during December and would like to attempt Private Pilots License (PPL). As per my understanding, the training or the license does not have to be JAA/JAR compliant i.e. ICAO will be fine for progressing into ATPL theory and hour building. If I am wrong then please do the correction and provide information accordingly.

Since, UK is an expensive and weather dependant option for ppl training :{ and USA might be a disgraceful experience due to HSA/TSA LOVE :ouch: and a long clearance wait, I am trying to explore options like, New Zealand, Australia, Europe and any other reputable place, if any.

So, which training schools in the requested reqions are offering CAA approved or JAA/JAR Private Pilot License (PPL) training. Most importantly, would you kindly share your experience of the school you are recommending? Due to work commitments this is the ideal time for me to take time out for ppl and I cannot afford to be messed around.

Thanks and Good luck! :)

TelBoy
4th Nov 2007, 23:01
xbilz,

Be realistic with your choices. 3 to 4 weeks from nothing to PPL is very optamistic, also considering you have not done the theory.

However to go for a JAA CPL you only need an ICAO PPL, but remember you also need 5 hours night. The FAA PPL gives night instruction/rating as a matter of licence issue, but look at the others. If you got a CAA PPL you could then go for a night qualification and get the hours needed.

Remember it is not a straight line to the "job" there is a lot of hard study and aptitude needed along the way.

Also get a class 1 medical before shelling out a load of money on training. It might seem stupid, but if you are denied for any reason it will save you a fortune.

All the best mate and hope all goes your way.

IRISHPILOT
5th Nov 2007, 12:55
Have to second TB.
even 4 weeks is not easy to do, let alone 3. Does the school provide full services over the Xmas holidays and New Year? What about the examiner? If time is an issue, the FAA route may well be the quickest. You could apply for the security clearance now, do the written theory and test and medical before you go.
TB is right that another prerequisite is the night rating, which you will get with the FAA PPL, so that makes that easier.
Have a look at the Canadian PPL, where no clearance is needed...
good luck, IP

xbilz
5th Nov 2007, 13:17
Guys

Thanks for your replies. It will be difficult to take time off from work say 5 weeks. What are other options available?

Thanks.

Zero feet, decending
5th Nov 2007, 15:11
One option may be to bridge your weeks off over your holiday year end/start? 2 weeks from the end of one year and the remainder from the following year? Otherwise I agree with previous posts.
I'm doing my PPL part-time (weekends), but I'm too old to go commercial.:(
Good luck!

ZFD

rogerthat777
5th Nov 2007, 16:14
Cabair are launching PPL training in spain, but anyone know when that'd be?

It's in valencia I think.

rogerthat

Asrian
5th Nov 2007, 17:33
Try South Africa! Afaik an ICAO SA-PPL is recognised in the UK without any problems or conversions! You can even do SA-medicals in the UK to keep Your license current.
Its a lot cheaper there, too.
Some schools have experience with international students and offer 4-5 week intensive courses, with accomodation and food included.
And for me its interesting that some schools in SA offer training on even cheaper car-gas propelled VLA-class aircraft for PPL training.
Just search the Africa subforum here for flight training info or go to www.avcom.co.za (http://www.avcom.co.za)