PDA

View Full Version : 1 Time Pilots Overworked

kykweer
4th Nov 2007, 15:52
I am lead to believe that some 1 Time pilots are threatening to approach the CAA with their concerns regarding fatique and serviceability of aircraft. Anybody know anything?

reptile
4th Nov 2007, 16:36
Are you not a 1Time employee?? If so, are you overworked?

http://http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=297367

newcrew
4th Nov 2007, 17:47
threatening to approach the CAA.........A complete waste of time

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Q4NVS
4th Nov 2007, 18:59
So without Trawling, what is the deifinition then of being "Overworked...?"

Avi8tor
4th Nov 2007, 19:08
Overworked is an more than an AVERAGE of 81 hrs in 28 days or less that 8 days off. Didn't think they were doing more than that.

FlyItLikeARental
4th Nov 2007, 20:24
And the definition of unserviceabilities?? Airplanes can and will break down. Especially 30 year old ones...

line-driver
4th Nov 2007, 20:30
There is a difference between the "published" maximum flight and duty and what is really realistic before dangerous fatigue sets in.

Just watch the discovery channel or read thru some accident investigation books to see the amount of accidents/incidents that are in part or totally attributable to pilot fatigue.

Managers and "bean-counters" want maximum efficiency but one dent of these airliners and their whole ship could sink, if it takes one total loss for a big carrier like Pan Am and Swissair to go under then 1Time and the likes should take note.

Too many maximum FDP periods and minimum rests will take a big toll on the levels of concentration and alertness especially when inbound to JIA on the last leg of a long long day to be confronted by rows and rows of CB's..just ask American Airlines what the result is.

Avi8tor
5th Nov 2007, 01:35
I agree, depends how the FDP's are structured. If your average sector is somewhere around 1hr to 1:30 its pretty cool. You should then end up flying around 19 days in 28. But no good if it takes 12 FDP hrs to fly 4:30 in the aircraft.

toolowtoofast
5th Nov 2007, 02:11
love the profile name, ky kweer.......

reptile
5th Nov 2007, 04:58
Staggers me when I read these threads. Your average LAME working on your planes puts in 60hr weeks - sometimes 70 or more. And that's time working ON the plane, not waiting for the next one to come in.

Do a bit of research......you will then be less staggered. The rarified atmosphere, immobility while strapped to an airframe and the ultra-dry air that they breathe, all adds to aircrew fatigue.

orgasmotron
5th Nov 2007, 05:48
Kykweer, the CAA will not help any issues anybody have with a company. I agree that people might be working harder during some times and that long term fatique may set in, hence requirements for operators to manage fatique amongst crew. Fatique in itself is a very complex subject and the only way CAA and oversee fatique management is to scrutines a companie's FDP compliance which I am sure most companies and crew adhere to. Its a 2 way street. As far as broken aeroplanes is concerned, don't fly them if theyr'e broken!

FFFrentit
5th Nov 2007, 07:47
I agree that CAA will do nothing about it - providing the airline is operating within FDP limits.

The only time they will get involved is if a breach of those limits is reported to them, maybe in the form of a safety report. Problem is, they then tend to just phone the operator and ask him to please be a nice guy and play by the rules.

It is a fact that the 1Time guys regularly do 100 hours a month and reach their annual 1000 hours in 10 months. Added to that they get minimum rest and an absolute maximum of 8 days (very seldom over a weekend) off a month (sometimes only 6 with the unfulfilled promise that they will get the balance back over the next 3 months!!) - it's no wonder the guys feel the strain.

Once upon a time ago there was a promise from management that the guys would fly 75 hours a month, which is very reasonable in anyone's books. But then management cleverly said 12 months in a year means that 75 hours a month equates to 900 hours in that year. What they did not factor in was that a pilot needs to take a months leave every year and spend a bit of time - let's say 2 to 3 weeks a year - doing recurrency training, and that he may be sick at times - let's say another 1 to 2 weeks a year. Suddenly the 900 hours has to be done in 10 months - 90 hours a month!

Planning and rostering the guys like that is just plain stupid. One or two diversions a month and maybe a prolonged illness, like a broken finger, means the wheels come off.

Most airlines around the world pay the guys a good exceedence allowance after flying more than 70 to 75 hours a month. 1Time don't do this for very obvious reasons - it will cost too much and there will be one or two less Peronis for management at the end of the month.

wing tip brakes
5th Nov 2007, 09:57
Get over yourselves. How is GH supposed to ride his Harley on weekends if he pays you more and flies you less.