PDA

View Full Version : Sky Broadband

amanoffewwords
4th Nov 2007, 13:40
I'm toying with the idea of moving from Virgin Media Broadband/TV/Phone to Sky ADSL/TV/Phone - purely for cost reasons (sky charges much less for a better package) and also because of the continuing absence of Sky 1 from VM.

I'm suspicious that low costs may equal low service quality so was wondering if anyone on the board may have be able to share their views/experience of using Sky's services - esp. on the ADSL side of things.

Cheers,
amofw

tired-flyboy
4th Nov 2007, 17:01
Gotta say it ain't as good as it sounds.
OK i don't have virgin BB but i do have BT.
I tried to get sky and was told that the speed would be the same as BT - it wasn't not by a long shot.
Then i was told that my line (fibre optic) was to old for sky BT and would have to have a copper sheath put onto the line to allow the BB to work.
SKY wouldn't pay for this as it was not up to them to provide the proper line.
the customer service i recieved was very poor and nobody seemed to care - all they wanted was the business but it would be up to the customer to sort it out.
MY opinion is don't go with sky but there could be others that say sky is great. (ps i am a sky customer for TV so i ain't completely anti sky - just the BB caused me problems)

HTH
TFB :ok:

BRL
5th Nov 2007, 23:34
I have Sky Broadband. No problems with it at all and it is fast too. I would say go for it.

don't_ask_me
6th Nov 2007, 17:05
Last time I looked, virgin media was doing the pakage for £30 a month and sky was offering it for £26 PLUS £11 BT phone line rental.

I'm with virgin. I don't think they are as good as the old NTL days but still very reliable. (However, they are very good at accidently cutting electricity cables when doing repairs.):=

don't_ask

Thor Nogson
7th Nov 2007, 13:43
I'm with Sky, and it's been flawless for me.

Actually, the router did fail (obviously a netgear problem, not Sky's), but I phoned up, described the symptoms and they sent me a whole new router package which arrived very promptly.

Good luck.

TN

Saab Dastard
7th Nov 2007, 18:29
the router did fail (obviously a netgear problem)

I have just bought a Linksys WAP / Firewall / Switch to replace a second Netgear device. I have found that the Netgears have an annoying tendency to "lock-up" once or twice a day, requiring a reboot. And yes, latest firmware installed.

I just can't stand the irritation any more, so I'm trying another brand!

Sorry, nothing to do with Sky! :O

SD

amanoffewwords
7th Nov 2007, 21:31
Thanks for the replies so far - I might well go for it. I already pay BT for a line, essentially just to connect the house alarm to the outside world so by eliminating Virgin Media I will be making better use of it + saving money too. I'm not too far from the exchange so I don't really expect any problems (famous last words!).

I shall ponder the question over the weekend...

Now, I wonder if my newly acquired Cisco routers (2nd hand/eBay) may be able to connect to Sky? Or is that against their T&Cs? :8