PDA

View Full Version : Horn unsafe?

Roger Copy Ta
4th Nov 2007, 12:58
Was disgusted to hear that a couple of pilots were bashed leaving the Wongai last night after a few drinks. A group of locals were apparently outside waiting for them and jumped them, inflicting some serious damage.

Not sure if the attack was provoked in anyway or just purely racial but sounds like they were well outnumbered. Someone else more in the know might be able to post a more complete story...

Any ex rock pilots heard of this happening before? Not cool.

I spy
4th Nov 2007, 22:32
I am an ex (female) SAPL VMC - I got bashed by a couple of young men (maybe 16 or 17 years old) in August last year. They knocked me off my bike after I had a few beers at the Blue House, next to the Gateway. I ended up face-scraping the bitumen and was pretty sore and sorry for myself, but no lasting damage. They were after beer, smokes and money.

The cops believed they weren't locals of Horn - there had been a large funeral the previous day and a lot of teenagers came up from Cairns. They believe it was some of those kids.

I spent 12 months on Horn and never felt unsafe or threatened. There were a few potential simmerings.....mainly at one house in particular....but nothing as serious as this kind of thing happening during my stint.
If this is true, it is indeed a sad reflection of the times. You guys bust a gut flying these folk around the islands, and this is the thanks you get????:ugh:

Roger Copy Ta
6th Nov 2007, 12:38
Cheers I spy, but what's with the lack of response guys and girls. The boys involved quit their jobs and flew out the next day. Is something being swept under the rug here?

Have heard that as a result Skytrans will no longer have a Horn base. Any truth in that? Hard enough to get pilots to come up here without the added threat of being beaten up I guess.

Would still like to know what started it. Something ain't right.

desert_rat
6th Nov 2007, 21:43
Unfortunately it's not just Horn Island that we face the continual threat of such incidents. Having been to many a destination that are the majority populated by our so called indigenious cousins, I have found that the threat is always looming with regard to personal safety and security of your belongings. These people are the master of opportunity and with the added pack mentality will always take advantage of anytime that some white person is under the weather a little to make their move. Lets hope with the current aviation crisis that less people will have to endure such places and hostility. ........Personally I think stuff let them fly on government paid charters let them take their boat or use their foot falcons to go walk about.

mudpig
6th Nov 2007, 22:48
I'm currently working in an area with a high population of indigeonous people. I'll tell you from experience (desert rat is spot on) there are elements within that are the masters of opportunity. Do not turn your back on them:=, do not get drunk around them:=. Don't give them a light:=, don't get out your wallet in front of them:=, don't give them loose change:=. They will bite the hand that feeds them in a second:E. When I first arrived, I was sympathetic to there plight. Now.....I'm not. I've learnt the hard way:}:ouch:.

I'm no bible basher, but as they say "God helps those that help themselves". I did and I don't feel the need to bash people so I can buy a schooner or some metho:yuk:.

This post may sound racist, it's not meant to be, it's just a warning. Keep your eyes open like this one >:sad: or this one :eek:. LOL

Islander Jock
7th Nov 2007, 00:00
Just spoke to a mate of mine who happened to be in the pub where the incident occurred. Without going into too much detail, let me just say that the agrieved pilot allegedly did or said something to bring this on.

Torres
7th Nov 2007, 01:28
You drink at the Wongai on Saturday night, don't complain if problems occur.

sumtingwong
7th Nov 2007, 01:55
:=Shoulda gone gateway!:ugh:

nohelp
7th Nov 2007, 02:27
You are right mate, things like this dont happen without reason. The company involved was one of the most respected fixed wing operators, has been up here for about 13 years. Its had good pilots that were very well trained and displined.

I have watched over the last few months things go down hill around our nourbourhood. Its great how these (two idiots) can just quit and fly out the next day while the rest of us have to live here. I dont agree with anyone being assulted but I can see why it happened with these guys.:oh:

Its time all these young pilots pulled there heads in and start acting professionally and appreciate there time flying up here. Horn Island is a great place to start flying, which leads to bigger better things, it would be great just to remember this next time you head out to get pissed:=:oh:

I hope the company can get passed these problems and start flying up here again, because its where alot of young pilots want to go.
I

Torres
7th Nov 2007, 04:21
But don't tell Faye you Wongai customer! :}

There has been an undercurrent of tension, including racial tension, on TI, the western islands and to a lesser extent, Horn Island for the past twenty years.

Instead of getting a skin full at the Wongai, young pilots new to the Straits may be better advised to quietly spend Saturday night at home with a few friends and a slabs or two.

socks and thongs
7th Nov 2007, 06:26
I think it's more a combination of confidence (bordering arrogance) of some pilots one one side, and on the other some local blokes who are just waiting for that one smart ar$e comment. Lack of education and booze = trouble, could be any town in Australia. I think it's an attitude problem more than a race problem, there are plenty of builders and other guys from the mainland at the Wongai every day who have no probs.

You start walking around eyeballing all the locals as potential criminals, it will lead to a very very bad situation, which will not improve.