PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Sux

Ice Tongs
21st Aug 2001, 08:49
Thank you Virgin Blue for cancelling my flight to Brisbane, not informing me via either of my contact numbers but waiting till I reached the airport to check in, causing me to MISS my Sunstate/QFLink interview as it was too late to try and re-schedule on another airline. Not happy Richard. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

smile
21st Aug 2001, 09:47
did Sunstate reshedual your interview?? :confused:

Mr Seatback 2
21st Aug 2001, 13:24
Something tells me a very STIFF letter will be written to the VB camp in BNE Customer (or should that be 'guest') relations!!

If not, it should be!!! What an awful experience for you! So sorry to hear about that Ice Tongs...did Sunstate reschedule your interview for you???

cabinboy
22nd Aug 2001, 11:29
Ice Tongs,
That is horrible news, hope you are ok ? I am sure Sunstate would be happy to see you if they knew the circumstances ?

Redback
23rd Aug 2001, 02:22
"I am sure Sunstate would be happy to see you if they knew the circumstances."

Hmmm, do you really think they'll have a lot of sympathy for someone who flew to their interview with the opposition? Can't imagine so.

That's probably not really what you wanted to hear, Ice Tongs, but hang in there. You never know.

Sonique
23rd Aug 2001, 11:16
Virgin Blue airline are a joke, I need to get this off my chest.

Their so called award winning reservations staff are morons with lousy customer service...and the guest relations department....please ! how pathetic - Virgin don't see the customers as guests....they see them as nieve people who they can sell their stupid Virgin merchandise and ridiculously overpriced food to in-flight...and to top it all off....it is served by stupid blonde twits who call themselves cabin crew ! ( little do the public know that these staff are chosen for their ability to sing and dance at an interview...not because of their customer service skills, apparently working in the delhi at coles supermarket is sufficient )

The Virgin blue hiring process is horrible...they are pi**ing off more people than actually fly with their airline, their cruel approach to recruitment and boycot of applicants due to their involvement with another airline carrier previously or the fact that your " boobs " just don't quite look good enough in the uniform.

Go to hell virgin, I'm suprised you didn't cancel the flight on purpose just to annoy a qantas applicant. Who wants apply for a job as cabin crew with you and end up face painting and singing stupid songs for a career as a so called safety professional.........maybe you should rename your cabin crew to cabin clowns .......thats what they look like.

And you reckon you made a $500,000 profit ? hahaha.....funny the spreadsheet was not released to the public......I find it amazing that the much publicised start up costs of millions of dollars was made back in 12 months of operation..........who do you think you are fooling.....The Australian population may look dumb, but were not. :mad:

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: Sonique ]

Ice Tongs
23rd Aug 2001, 11:26
Thanks everyone. Sunstate/QFlink were brilliant about the whole thing and have offered another interview slot (being an airline, naturally they understand these things happen). Unfortunately I have yet to win lotto so am stuck with booking cheap seats for any interstate airline interviews I'm lucky enough to be invited to. Down side is losing out in these sorts of situations - not only losing a day's pay but having to raid the piggy bank to pay for more flights after forfeiting my return QF non refundable, non changeable flight. Heavy sigh. :(

Ice Tongs
23rd Aug 2001, 11:32
I hear ya Sonique! Am also disgusted by their atrocious customer service. Virgin Atlantic don't hire anyone over 30. Although it's illegal to advertise a maximum age here (in Oz) when recruiting, have yet to see a Virgin Blue Cabin Clown that looks over 20 (or acts over 15). Not being ageist, but they don't exactly inspire confidence should the unthinkable happen mid-flight.

ImDesheeftain Overboosta
23rd Aug 2001, 15:34
Biscuit Chucker
I hope your final result is the one you want.
Given the circumstances and your commitment I hope it comes off.
All the best.

ImDesheeftain Overboosta
23rd Aug 2001, 15:40
DOH DOH DOH
THAT SHOULD READ ,ICE TONGS!
BISCUIT CHUCKER I'M SURE THAT YES YOU HAVE AND DO APPLY THE COMMITMENT IN THE AFOREMENTIONED.
I'LL GO NOW

Wirraway
23rd Aug 2001, 17:27
Sonique and Ice Tongs
I can understand you Ice Tongs being angry
over a cancelled flight, of course Qantas
or Ansett never have canceled flights...Not.

Having attended a VB graduation earlier this
year for my son who by the way is 30+, I can
assure both yourself and Sonique have
the wrong idea of training which I know for
a fact is intense and is 90% on safety issues,in fact the first crews were trained
in Melbourne at Ansett and the trainers now
are ex QF and AN, to say on this thread that
the F/A s are clowns and not safe is an insult.
As for Virgin Blue being a joke, thats your
opinion, as they are getting plenty of repeat business and only last month had a 77% load factor, as QF have picked up over
20 ex VB F/A s, even you would hope that QF don't employ clowns as flight attendants.

Wirraway
ex Ansett (28yrs)

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: Wirraway ]

Next Generation PSR
23rd Aug 2001, 19:57
I have to agree with Sonique, I flew Virgin Blue from Sydney to Brisbane earlier in the year and also think that their antics on board border on compromising safety and the image we are trying to create with the public - most of us - that we are professionals.

1) Once all the passengers were sat down we were told we were going to Darwin instead of Brisbane as a joke!

2) The safety demonstration was given in the tone of a children's bedtime story.

3) We were told that the cabin lights were going to be dimmed for our "pleasure", then once we were told about this we were then asked to see if we could find our reading lights and switch them on. The cabin sidewalls were then turned off with the ceiling lights left on. (so what was the point!)

4)During taxi the Supervisor was getting the pax to shout out for which footie team they prefered in either SYD or BNE - so much for silent reviews eh?

5) during the bumpy approach into Brisbane the cabin crew were more interested in giving an aerobics instruction and singing their training class song down the PA than securing the cabin and getting themselves sat down.

Whilst I agree flying should be fun it should not compromise safety.

It did appear to me that Virgin Blue were obviously recruiting a bunch of under 30 dolly bimbos who were doing nothing to improve the profession's image with the general public. They were however very friendly and caring to the customers during the flight.

I'm pleased that Virgin Blue are bringing down fares in Australia (it's otherwise expensive even by our standards), but please raise your standards in terms of cabin safety and professionalism as some of you you are doing the rest of us in the industry a dis-service.

Incidentally Virgin are also the only UK airline with an entry age upper limit in the early 30s, and most of them are either blonde or brunette with the male cabin crew seldom getting a look in on any of the publicity - I rest my case on Richard's recruitment policies, and no I've not ever wanted to work for them.

Evacu8
24th Aug 2001, 12:39
Ice Tongs.... I'm sure VB didnt cancel the flight just to spoil your interview. :rolleyes:

No airline likes to cancel flights!! As with most cancellations, it would have been a last minute thing.... or else they would have contacted you. Dont take it personally, and just be happy QFLink is granting you another interview, a lot wouldnt !!

Sonique, Next Gen PSR et al;

Please dont go around bagging other airlines' crew because you dont like their procedures !! As with us at QF, the guys at AN and all crew at other airlines, the Virgin f/a's are just following what their company is telling them to do. So their procedures may be different to what we are used to in domestic aviation in Australia.... but hey, what we do at QF longhaul would seem odd to LH or EK crew!!

These are guys and gals doing the same safety job as any other cabin crew, and I'm sure they would be as good in an emergency as all cabin crew are - and thats all that counts.

Making personal comments about the intelligence and appearance of their crew is about as low you can get. How many VB crew do you know to back up you claims in these areas? At Qantas we have hired over 20 of their crew in recent times, I have had the pleasure of training two of them. As well as being exceedingly attractive, both were intelligent, funny, friendly and above all professional !! They are two of the best cabin crew I have seen.

Sorry, dont know any of you, but this forum is not about putting other people down just based on the procedures of the airline they work for.... one thing you should all know by now is that most people who want a career as a flight attendant will do anything to get the job, and work under any conditions as cabin crew until something better comes along. And hey, they gotta put up with being made a clown by their company?? If they're willing to do it then who are you to judge.... most of the VB crew who apply to QF seem to get in, so who's stupid???!!!

Ice Tongs
25th Aug 2001, 08:21
I understand cancellations occur but what upset me was their attitude. The customer service officer said some pax had been notified of the cancellation. I hadn't been and asked her why and how they decide who gets to be notified. She said she didn't know, end of conversation. Not good enough. First time flew with Virgin Blue, had a 50 minute delay. Second time - flight cancelled. There ain't gonna be a third time. And they think they're gonna win more business pax. Dream on Richie.

B747400
25th Aug 2001, 09:02
Hi All,

I would have to agree with everything I have read so far about the cabin crew(?)

I travelled with VB to SYD and return with No-pulse back to BNE last October to check out the competition.

I found the VB crew to be totally unproffesional.

1) Cabin Manager was still taking her seat as we lined up on the RWY at BNE.
2) The emergency exit row had a PAX that have never flown on an A/C before and did not know how to operate the exit when questioned. The crew just said "Oh, read this card and you will be fine". Further to this he was drinking Carlton Cold stubbies at 0600!!!

It is my understanding, well at least at AN that a person is "profiled" at check-in to see if they are suitable to be sitting at the Emergency Exit.

On the other hand I found Impulse to have an extremely good product. The crew were very helpful and prof. It is just a shame they could not keep it going.

Your all correct guys. How can anyone have any respect for an Airline that makes the Tech crew dump the toilets on Arrival!!

The only thing the VB guys had going for them is that the BIMBO'S are pretty HOT!!

GOODBYE :D

Sonique
26th Aug 2001, 05:05
EVACU8,
If the Virgin Blue people you trained are now working for QF that means that they didn't like working for Virgin.....which means that they didn't like acting like clowns in the cabin. Yes, you are right in saying that the company likes the crew to act like that...however....that is why the FAAA is here. If the crew felt unprofessional or unhappy acting the way they do then they could easily protest about it.

None of us here have ever doubted the intelligence or enthusiasm the Virgin crew have for the job...but,what I am doubting is the lack of customer service
experience these people have. Your new QF crew members from Virgin would have got their experience from being flight attendants with Virgin... but what prior experience did they have before joining Virgin ?

As far as safety goes, it is ok for you to sit on your high and mighty 747-400 on your SYD-LAX flight knowing that you are safe with the best airline in the world.....but would you feel safe on a Virgin Blue boeing 737-400 which stopped on the taxiway at BNE because the purser had not closed the L1 door properly ?? TRUE STORY....and you want to know the reason why ? She was too busy entertaining the guests by singing over the PA system.

That is not acceptable for any airline.

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: Sonique ]

Mr Seatback 2
26th Aug 2001, 09:52
And for my 2 dollars worth...

YOU DON'T TAKE THE P**S OUT OF SAFETY DEMOS - CLEAR AND SIMPLE.

At my airline, check in assess the people in the exit, the CSA's monitor their boarding, and the crew monitor them as well JUST TO BE SURE. Furthermore, we're encouraged to to have a laugh and a giggle amongst ourselves and the passengers - but we are TO NEVER make the safety demo - or any serious situation - a laughing matter.

I know of many people who have flown VB and have found one of two things occur in flight:

1) The crew sing and dance their way thru the safety demo, face painting after the "service" - this includes crew as well, and generally behave like it's a holiday camp...OR

2) They do the demo and stay in the galley - not to be heard from again...

Now - I'm all for a giggle and a sing song as well, don't get me wrong - but during the demo? Even Virgin Atlantic don't go that far - they have celebrities do the voiceover for the demo, but the crew take it VERY seriously...not so here, it would seem. I too have flown VB and have proved it myself.

Here here sonique - yes, the Purser didn't close 1L prior to the inaugural flight (temporarily stopped on the taxiway because a warning in the cockpit said so)...widely reported in the news as I recall...

Strange how all the crew are very good looking...at the current training school we have some LOVELY people training with us who got nowhere with VB - and they have some MAJOR experience behind all of them - japanese speakers, etc.

HERE HERE again sonique - customer service background??? WHAT BACKGROUND?? Some of these people at VB have never worked in customer service in their life?? yeah - virgin flair...WHERE?????

Oh Evacu8 - they know what they're getting themselves in for before they get interviewed - even during the interview they tell you what happens onboard - or so I'm told repeatedly at work. No point complaining about it to you guys at QF when they're the ones who applied to join VB in the first place. True, most people will do almost anything to fly - sad that QF don't do permanent full time anymore...just goes to show how much they must have really "enjoyed" working for VB - giving up a permanent full time flying job there for a contract/casual position at QF!!!

I wonder what CASA think of all this "ad libbing" in the safety demo? Doubtful as to whether it "enhances" pax awareness in an emergency...

Have as much fun as you want - but take your job seriously when required - remember, you want to evacuate people who know what the hell they're doing...no point wishing you behaved as a professional after the event!

(PS. VB hold the current CASA record for evacuating a cabin in 42 seconds - easy though, when you're evacuating VB staff who are familiar with the a/c, don't you think?)

Ditch
26th Aug 2001, 17:17
Jeeeeeez... Talk about NOT HAPPY JAN!!

I can't believe everybody is sledging Virgin and the lovely gals so much. Lighten up a little. I CANNOT believe some of you are so bitchy. This is the problem our industry has. Stuck up, arrogant, bitchy Cabin Crew, who never stop whinging and moaning. Yes, I agree that the safety demo is a serious time, but you can be in control and have a laugh as well, and thats refreshing when you compare it to the big boys flighties who stand their with the "Cats Bum" lips and look like they would rather be somewhere else. Ok the Virgin gals may be a little over zealous at times, as EVAC8 said, they are only doing their jobs, and from what Ive read nobody in their right mind could do it if they didnt enjoy it.

Everyone just take a chill pill... ;)

Evacu8
27th Aug 2001, 06:32
Sonique

what on earth makes you think that having customer service expereience makes anyone better flight attendant than someone who hasnt had customer contact?

I joined my first airline at 20, I had no experience with customer service (except for being a customer!!), but I managed to do the job well...... it's not brain surgery !!

Ever since the States dropped the 21yearold reqirement for flight crew to serve alcohol in their airspace, QF has hired quite a lot of 18-20 year olds. In fact the permanents in longhaul, two schools through in December, the vast majority were under 25. They may not all have great customer contact experience, but they are still great at the job and are so enthusiastic and fun to work with. As far as dealing with difficult pax situations, they learn as they do it, and if they cant deal with the situation? well thats why we have very experienced managers and supervisors onboard.

And the current longhaul permanents in training at the moment, (again two schools) I believe the majority are about the same age group.

And no, the crew I trained who were from VB did not hate VB, they both enjoyed it! They left for the obvious reason - they wanted to work for a larger airline, more $$ and better conditions..... thats why I left my first airline, and the seond one I flew for as well ! I loved both jobs, but the opportunity arose to get better pay/ conditions/ destinations - so I took new positions with other airlines!

I agree with the sentiment that you dont make fun of the safety demo, but again, it is not the individual crew at fault.... its the company who are teaching them to do this. How are they supposed to know that theyre not to make fun of the demo, if the company is telling them to do it? Most of them havent flown before.

And as for all of you who have such horrific experiences with VB, sorry - but their loads are great, and I have never (before this thread) heard a bad word about the crew or the flights. And I know a hell of a lot of people (including QF long haul commuters -sometimes it's cheaper to fly VB than staff travel !!) who have flown with them.

:rolleyes: :p
null

[ 27 August 2001: Message edited by: Evacu8 ]

Mr Seatback 2
27th Aug 2001, 12:59
Now this is interesting...

I have worked with crew (on both sides of the door) who have either had or hadn't had customer service experience. Evacu8 - you may not see it, but it shows...A LOT! Maybe you're the example to the rule, I certainly hope so...conversely, having experience doesn't always guarantee the best person for the job...but I would much rather have someone on board who knew how to handle the public over someone who didn't - experience is a teacher in this - I've worked for 2 different airlines (now on my third - and no I wasn't sacked or retrenched by any of them)...

True you can learn customer service simply by being on the job...but it's not everyone's cup of tea (nor is flying for that matter). At least if someone has had an exposure to it, they have the necessary skills to deal with a range of issues on board themselves. Then again, that's QF - you guys do your thing, VB will do theirs, and we will do ours...

By the way Evacu8, you may want to let your views on customer service experience known on Galley Gossip at the QF crew website...if the bigwigs at QF didn't think it was important either, then maybe they wouldn't insist in people having at least 2 yrs customer service experience, including pref. food and beverage, before they join?!? Just a thought...it's in the application forms, on the website, etc...

If you need to be told that the safety demo isn't a laughing matter, then what can I say...true, 'cats bum' lips aren't nice to look at...but provided you can clearly indicate the operation of various equipment (oxygen masks are always a delight!), who wins? Everyone - cause when the proverbial hits the engine intake, everyone knows what to do (well - 90% or thereabout - that's why we yell the drills, isn't it?)

Sure - VB isn't everyone's cup of tea - and I bear no grudges against any crew or staff member...that's why I work at a different airline. But if there's one thing we should all be consistent in is our vigilence in cabin safety - if we can't take ourselves seriously when it matters, then how can the punters???

Have a giggle - and goddammit,face paint as well if the company tells you to do it - but don't take the safety demo lightly. Considering we are now carrying more first time fliers than ever, it might be an idea to at least instill some confidence in them by showing that when it comes to safety, we at least behave accordingly.

Nasty Nasty
6th Sep 2001, 17:55
I would like to say I was actually pleased with the experience on Vigin Blue having been sceptical ahead of taking the plunge based on a recommendation.

Booking was easy. Done by their website. Easeir than most.

Flight on time.

Service was what they promised.`No surprises there.

Yes they were blonde and smiled... more than most on QF/AN. Were kinder on the eyes than most in QF/AN!

Price was better than ID50 on QF/AN.

Emergency situation - well if the boys up front have a problem the cabin crew actually are not going to make much difference. Cabin briefings are never/seldom watched and luck usually prevails IF - god forbid - there is a problem.

On balance I would do it again. rates way w-a-y ahead of Southwest, America West or the like, both of whom I flew in the last month.

ANZ would not have Sir Ric offered US$250m if it was a loda junk.......

Need a few more 'Robin Hood' airlines like Blue.
:) ;)

Ditch
7th Sep 2001, 09:27
Great to see somebody giving Virgin Blue a break for once..its about time. I hear nothing but good comments about Virgin..Im glad you had a great experience. ;)

green cart pusher
10th Sep 2001, 02:42
who r virgin blue ?? do they have anything to do with virgin atlantic ??

Ditch
10th Sep 2001, 12:34
Green Cart pusher..

Virgin Blue is Sir Richard Branson's Australian domestic carrier. Virgin Blue have been operating for just on a year now, and operate a fleet of 737-400 and 737-700 aircraft.

Virgin Blue have succesfully operated for the past 12 months as a low cost carrier, offering an all economy class service, based out of Brisbane, an hours flight north of Sydney.

;)

[ 16 September 2001: Message edited by: Ditch ]

Takeoff
10th Sep 2001, 14:36
I don't know who you are Ditch, but answer me this, if RB is so good, and looks after his staff, why does he pay a Cabin Manager $30,000? You could ean more answering pnoes in an office, yet as a CM you are looking after staff, and are a saftey professional. It is a very low wage, and I'm not just comparing it to the Airlines, it's a low wage for all of Australia. It is disgusting, he says he looks after his staff, pay them a living wage for gods sake, actions speak louder than words....I cannot repsect someone who uses people for cheap labour. :mad:

Theo Racle
11th Sep 2001, 03:22
Don't know who you are Takeoff but I thought Isaw earlier in the thread that DJ have the same payscale as Impulse's new award which is a lot more than 30K !

Takeoff
11th Sep 2001, 03:57
so.......correct me if I am wrong....what is the pay rate????

Ditch
13th Sep 2001, 05:10
A CS earns approx 45k my friends ;)

Wirraway
13th Sep 2001, 18:31
Having my kid working for VB I can confirm
what Ditch has posted 45+

KIWISAHIB
23rd Sep 2001, 12:29
Guys and Gals - What a day!!!!!!!!!

At least the "BIMBOs" "BLONDES" & Guys have one thing in their favour if they are all under 30 - That being they are NOT 89ers.
The flight deck is 'recruited' from "guys I've known from the past" and the second ? you are asked is "where were you in 89?"

You'al have a nice day noow
:eek: :rolleyes: ;)