PDA

View Full Version : SAA Mishap at Capetown

oriental flyer
4th Nov 2007, 08:54
An Airbus flight SA 333 from Johannesburg overshot the main runway at Cape Town International Airport on landing on Friday, causing delays at airports around the country.
No injuries were reported but the Airbus blocked the airport's only two runways, causing a knock-on effect of delays around the country and further afield.
Tony Greenwood, the general manager of Nashua, said the Airbus had landed and been taxiing down the runway when the pilot had tried to make a right turn.
"She misjudged it and drove straight off the end of the runway. The front wheel sank at least a metre into the sand. The engines were about a foot off the sand."

He joked that it was the first time he'd been flown by a woman pilot. "And she lands up running the plane off the tarmac."

Greenwood said passengers had watched the entire scenario unfold from a camera on the front of the plane.

"There was one very frightened young lady but the rest of us were having a giggle."

SAA spokesperson Robyn Chalmers said the 300 passengers on board suffered no injuries and disembarked safely.

She said the flight SA333, operated by an Airbus A340-600, from Johannesburg had landed safely at Cape Town airport at approximately 2.41pm.

"However, an attempt to turn the aircraft sharply to the right as directed by air traffic control authorities led to its front wheel slipping off the side of the cross runway. The aircraft's nose, or front wheel, was buried in the soft sand off the runway and technicians worked swiftly to dig it out and pulled the aircraft backwards."

Chalmers said aircraft had been taxiing at a very low speed on the runway after landing when the incident occurred.

The aircraft had been taken to the airline's technical hangars for damage assessment.

Beta Light
4th Nov 2007, 09:57
And this has WHAT to do with Fragrant Harbour??????????

Go to Arfica Forums Oriental flyer

oriental flyer
4th Nov 2007, 11:23
Beta Light I have enough South Africans friends in CX who may well be interested , it's about an aviation mishap.
The title is very specific absolutely no room for confusion
Very simply if you are not interested don't bother reading it, but equally don't start telling me where to post ..

Shame you can't spell AFRICA

CXtreme
4th Nov 2007, 19:12
With so many expats and nationality's in CX I don't think you should post "interesting stories" here. I have lots of European friends in CX and it would be unfair to post every mishap in Europe here.

We have enough CX/KA management hishaps to post about.

ALPHA FLOOR
5th Nov 2007, 08:47
Beta Light - whats up dude, your comment is very unlike you?
As Oriental says if you arent intersted then dont open it!

But maybe someone hit a nerve - since a close family member of yours is a spokesman at SAA?

Geez lighten up chaps! :=

AFL