PDA

View Full Version : Question on base trasfer...

LRpilot
3rd Nov 2007, 17:29
Hy folks,
just a simple question: how long after the DOJ is possible to bid for another base?
Thanks in advance...

teedub
3rd Nov 2007, 23:54
According to cos99 and CD (to whom I spoke on this very subject) you can change bases anytime within home ports ie JFK to ATL or ORD etc and between home ports ie LHR to CDG or LHR to JFK...no time restriction and does not reset your 3 year freighter clock prior to pax base bid...all possible as long as you do not want to change a/c type...ie 400 to 400 is OK....of course all subject in part to Cptn Cannots stamp of approval...not sure of cos08 but then who is!

hope this helps

Numero Crunchero
4th Nov 2007, 07:46
4 years unless it is within the base area.

However, over the next 5 years there are 300 captains who will reach 55. They can only continue to work in HKG past 55 if they are in C+T. If they want to continue on the line they will need to get a basing as it is RA55 in HKG.

At the moment we have 100+ CNs based in EUR, 100+ based in US(incl Can) and 50+ in Australia.

Out of that 300 due to retire, around 250+ (assuming around 15% are C+T and stay in HKG) will be seeking basings. Now, bear in mind that no CN already on a base will need to retire for another 10 years thanks to onshoring/RA65.

So of the 250, about 75+ Aussies, 50+ brits and 60+ US/Canucks will be looking for basings. Given the numbers already on basings that would mean that it will be difficult to get a basing...remember, no one needs to retire now on a current basing for another 10years!

Now imagine you are a senior FO on a base looking to get your command in HKG. You will have to take the command knowing full well it is highly unlikely you will get a basing within 5-10 years as a captain. At current exchange rates you are close to command salary anyway (obviously ignoring tax and pollution!). SO the net result is that FOs are probably not going to rush back to get commands. And if any slots do come up it will be the 8-10 year FOs taking them whilst they wait another 3-5 years for their command slot to come up.

So, 4 years or 14 years, do you really think anyone junior will get a basing once CoS08 is introduced???

I hope that has answered your question on inter-base transfers!

icarusone
4th Nov 2007, 22:12
Interesting! ! !

I asked point blank during my first interview if there was anything preventing one from bidding as a DEFO from JFK, for example, to LON on same equipment type.

The response was: Nothing prevents you from bidding over to the new base as long as an opening, & seniority, is available in the new base.

Is the "base area" transfer mentioned in the previous post company policy? or is as I was told in the interview? Are there any differences between COS '99 & '08?

Thank you.

Numero Crunchero
5th Nov 2007, 00:06
I am not sure of inter-base transfer. I thought it was only intra base transfer you could do within 4 years but if you were told you could at recruiting then that is probably the case.

Just remember there is a world of difference between 'bidding' and getting a basing!

FO based slots will fill up fast between DEFO recruitment and senior FOs going on bases whilst waiting for their now delayed commands!

Five Green
5th Nov 2007, 01:01
icarusone :

Did you apply for DEFO freighter ? If so then yes you can bid for any other freighter basing as they come open for bid. As you gain a little seniority it will not be a problem moving from one freighter basing to another.

If, on the other hand you are coming on board as a DEFO passanger then re-read Numero's post.

Or the abridged version is : most basings are either filled or will fill shortly. The bases will stay full until either the co. decides to add more based FO slots, or the pay packet goes up in Hong Kong !! It appears at the moment you can stay on a base as an FO and make the same money (or close enough that the agro won't make it worthwhile) as a HKG Captain but work hmmm about 11 days a month less !

Not to worry though, just get in now on the freighter and you can be check and training Captain within two years, and then you can have any base you want, you just can't have any leave !!

Roll on 65 !!!

NewEssO
5th Nov 2007, 05:51
I must say that this is really not encouraging. I have recently been offered a DESO position but we are doing our due diligence on whether or not this is a right choice

If I have the intention to get on a base as soon as possible, with the new COS08, and what Crunchero has precisely pointed out, It does not sound like I will be able to get back home for quite some time :ugh:

The Mrs Will NOT like this, :mad::mad::mad:and :mad::mad::mad::mad:

NEO

icarusone
5th Nov 2007, 07:51
Well, I am a little in the dark based on the dynamic situation with COS '08. I was originally hired for a DEFO Freighter position.

From what I have inferred, it is still a freighter position as long as the company is hiring SO's. There are financial repercussions awarded to the SOs if I were to fly as an FO on the passenger fleet !? (Am I reading that correctly?)

I am assuming that under COS '08 I would still be hired as a Freighter FO on a unified scale. It still leaves me with many questions. Namely, the fact that I was planning on being able to swap (in the Freighter) from the US to EU bases and back again in the matter of a few years. Have these prospects been cut short, even between the Freighter bases now?

sizematters
5th Nov 2007, 08:51
it all depends on you DOJ........before 1st January you will be a freighter F/O based wherever and can bid across to any other base you like..............after 1st January you will be a "Unified" F/O and base swaps will be a murky swamp of doubts and vague possibilities until the rules are sorted out and they decide who can do what ............................

clear as ........................????

bobrun
6th Nov 2007, 03:33
I must say that this is really not encouraging. I have recently been offered a DESO position but we are doing our due diligence on whether or not this is a right choice
If I have the intention to get on a base as soon as possible, with the new COS08, and what Crunchero has precisely pointed out, It does not sound like I will be able to get back home for quite some time
As a new SO hired after Jan08, it is important also to realize that after you will take a base (at least three to four years after joining, possibly more), you will be paid according to the DEFO payscale! The difference between the current scales on bases and the new unified DEFO scales on which you will be is quite large...around 30 000$ the first year in one case.