PDA

View Full Version : GA and starting a family

glekichi
3rd Nov 2007, 01:42
Gday,

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone might have about starting a family whilst working in GA.
(Other than dont do it:})

My current situation is that I am working in NZ as an instructor and have just recently started some single engine charters too. Ive been working here for 18 months, but have sacrificed a lot of flying to help out teaching theory and my total time therefore lags at only 500 :ouch:

The problem is that I plan to get married sometime next year, and really need a reasonable income to do this. At the moment Im on NZ$31k, which isnt all bad for a single guy (and unimaginable a year or so ago in NZ GA), but is just not enough to raise a family on.

Instructing can pay quite well at some of the major schools, but I am worried that a lot of single engine instructing hours wont help my career much in the long run.
Twin charter jobs in OZ seem to pay quite well (or are my rose-tinted, grass is greener, glasses working overtime here?), in fact, well enough to not have to rush off anywhere for a few years at least, but Im not sure if I have quite enough time in the logbook to find a twin charter position.

Would I be better to stick it out with the current company and wait for some twin hours before heading over to OZ, which could be very slow and painful, or do you think that with 500tt I would be able to find something more long-term with better conditions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bendo
3rd Nov 2007, 04:48
I don't know how old you or your partner are so I don;t know how loud the biological clock is ticking.

y advice is: Wait a couple of years and enjoy your married life together before having kids.

My personal experience is that kids aren't a real problem in your career, but owning real estate is. We have no.2 a-comin' and would go to a regional job tomorrow EXCEPT... we can't sell the $%^& house and can't afford to rent AND to service the mortgage until we do sell it. :{

Go forth and multiply. Move to Australia and you will get $6000 per sprog when they do arrive! :D But remember your family always come first... you are doing it for them.

Good luck :ok:

The Bunglerat
3rd Nov 2007, 08:35
I was in my late twenties when I finally got my CPL ticket. I was also married with one child - and another on the way. Two eventually became three - and my better half would actually like to add some more, but I've learned my lesson.

Embarking on such a career with family in tow might have been considered foolhardy. It definitely hasn't been easy. In fact it's been extremely difficult for a good portion of it.

Nevertheless I love my family - and I love my flying. Maybe I'm just greedy and want my cake whilst eating it too, but I figure if it's really that important to you, you'll find a way to make it work.

Of course, it takes an incredibly understanding woman to put up with such hardships in a GA career (especially when kids come along). As much as it pains me to admit it, I doubt I would have been as supportive if the shoe were on the other foot. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

bushy
3rd Nov 2007, 13:43
We raised and educated three kids while flying GA in the outback. It was a reasonable thing to do.
In recent years, it appears that some one, something, or a flood of pilots has really destroyed that.

Captain Nomad
4th Nov 2007, 01:54
Some rare good advice on PPRUNE... :}
If it is just you and her and you are both working it is actually cheaper to be married and sharing life's expenses.
I married while working two jobs - a not so flashy job outside of aviation, and a poorly paying GA job. In hindsight we wouldn't change a thing. Sure it can be tough at times but if you want to share life together and she has a realistic idea of what an aviation career entails and is willing to go with you then you are a lucky and happy guy. Some of the things I've been through I couldn't have done without her support.
We have managed to avoid rugrats for quite a number of years of marriage but the time will come! Just try and bear in mind your timeframe (or perhaps hers) when making job decisions...!

neville_nobody
4th Nov 2007, 01:37
"A man who is not a father to his children can never be a real man"

boofta
4th Nov 2007, 01:57
We decided to have one child no matter what during a period of
un-employment in GA, figuring we could afford one no matter what.
Then after getting into more stable/secure employment had two more.
These decisions are economically based really. Aviation unfortunately
used to be 90% luck and 10% management- in achieving a career.
The kids don't appreciate the relative ease of finding employment
nowdays available, long may it last.

You are not a man until you have held your first child!

glekichi
4th Nov 2007, 02:27
Thank you all very much for your helpful comments.
I am extremely lucky to have such a supportive partner; she is willing to move anywhere that the job takes us. She does aromatherapy and reiki, so can work from home which is great, but it will take a long time to build up a customer base in a new town, and I dont want to be moving all over the place anyway. Im 27, she is 29, so its not a real rush to have kids but we both want one (She wants 5:uhoh:) and just want to settle, for the mid-term anyway.

empacher48
4th Nov 2007, 03:31
I would say go for it, as if having kids is something that you both really want, then you'll find ways to make it work for you. I'll be honest and say that I don't have kids, and probably won't have kids (Mrs Empacher passed on a few months ago, and there are times I wish we did have kids).

Bendo
4th Nov 2007, 04:06
Captain Nomad
...I am sure you mean curtain climbin' rug rats... not carpet munchers, which in my experience means lesbots. :uhoh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Nov 2007, 04:14
"Im 27, she is 29, so its not a real rush to have kids"

This is the great myth of the new millenium!

All jokes aside, may be hard to believe, but I actually do have some expertise in this area!

The reality is that women's fertility declines rapidly from age 30. There is also increasing evidence that male fertilty also declines from a similar age.

My advise to you if you want a family is: get off PPRuNe and get on the job - NOW!

Dr :8

Monopole
4th Nov 2007, 04:35
Kids and GA aint that bad (that being said, mine is not at an age that is costing a fortune just yet) :}

Just remember that if it all gets too hard, it's the kid that should go first first :eek::=:=

No seriously, as much as I love what I do, I would give up my career in a flash for my family.

sprocket check
4th Nov 2007, 05:29
bushy:

In recent years, it appears that some one, something, or a flood of pilots has really destroyed that.

Just wondering, without hopefully being too inquisitive, what exactly you mean. Are you saying it is no longer acceptable/viable/safe? Are you saying there are too many pilots in the bush?

FTDK:

Mrs SC is 39 and we are about to have numero uno. Much depends on individual there I think. Doctors, in our experience, seem to have a propensity for putting the scare on: this disease, that disease, statistics this and that. At the end, if you want to have a kid, have it. Sooner the better IMHO, it will change your thinking and the sooner your thinking changes, the better. I am happy now, but would have been equally happy earlier.

Bendo:

even with my limited command of the Australian language I know what Captain meant. Very funny and I enjoyed it regardless...

SC

Mr. Hat
4th Nov 2007, 06:19
I'd wait - you are still new to the career, will be new to married life and then you'll aslo have a new person joining you clan. One thing at a time i say. Don't put yourself under too much pressure at once.

There seem to be some attractive instructing packages offered on the east coast of australia at the moment...might be woth a look mate.

Captain Nomad
4th Nov 2007, 07:00
Sorry for any misunderstanding - been in the land of the unexpected too long maybe! I was fairly innocently referring to kids... Snot gobblers, rugrats, curtain climbers or whatever you prefer! :}

Altimeters
4th Nov 2007, 07:08
Ok, so having kids may not be a problem, but how about after you have kids? How will that go with the career we've chosen? You hear all the time about pilots having one of the highest divorce statistics out of any profession. Think about all the birthdays, anniversaries, etc, you're going to miss. I love my job, however like many others I am willing to give it up for my family if it came to it.

Outkast
4th Nov 2007, 07:52
To be eligible for the baby bonus you have to be an Aussie

glekichi
4th Nov 2007, 09:18
Im Australian, and want to return to raise the family there.
Partner isnt though... I wonder how that works with the baby bonus.

FTDK:
get off PPRuNe and get on the job - NOW!
Dont have to tell me twice! :} Unfortunately she is overseas at the moment.

Mr. Hat
4th Nov 2007, 10:33
There is always practice on your own mate!!:ok:

Re the divorce thing. I do know a few that GA was a factor in. Howeever that was back in the day when getting a job on a 210 required walking on water...

times have changed you'll be in a descent job pretty quickly

Towering Q
5th Nov 2007, 05:04
What's a 'descent job'?

Is it a job that involves going down?:E

Jabawocky
5th Nov 2007, 06:00
You want a decent job, wife and kids......:}

I'll give you mine, the lot!!!! Where do I sign?:E

J:ok:

PS. No simple answer here mate......Forkie does have some sound advice I think........I just wonder about the age of 30......thats a mighty old heifer!:uhoh: