PDA

View Full Version : qantas questions needing answers

tomcat 406
3rd Jul 2001, 10:23
1- do you have a choice as to contract or casual
2- can you live on a casual wage-what is an average wage on casual rates versus contract as virgin blue offer 36,000 per year
3-if u take casual do they have to offer you permanent after a number of years ?
4- can you negoiate contract ie forgo perks for permanent position?
5- can anybody tell me where i can find a list of questions they may ask me on my second interview with qantas
6- thankyou for any response to these questions as i hope it answers other people queries!

Mr Seatback 2
8th Jul 2001, 13:52
Hey Tomcat

No you don't get a choice between contact or casual. They offer you one or the other - no choices.

You can survive off a casual wage - at the moment. As more and more casuals join however, the hours available with conversely drop.

QF will not make you permanent in exchange for withdrawal of perks. This undermines the EBA.

The second stage is a group interview and nothing too drastic. Brush up on your knowledge of QF and just be yourself and relax. No questions asked directly to worry you at this stage. They save that for the 3rd stage.

Hope this info helps!!

Evacu8
14th Jul 2001, 08:03
1. No, you wont get a choice between casual and contract... casual would be preferred though, as it is permanent....they dont seem to be renewing any contracts at the moment.

2. As long as there are plenty of hours available, the money is good....you would currently earn more than VB. But there is no minimum guarentee of hours, so if the flying dries up, or they hire too many casuals.... the money will obviously drop.

3. No. they have been known to recruit permanents while they have casuals on the books. They dont have to offer full-time to casuals. But I believe casuals can apply for permanent externally advertised positions if they choose. If they are successful I think they keep half their seniority. ie if they are employed for a year as a casual, they get a seniority number reflecting six months service. The way QF views casuals and contractors, is you applied to be casual/ contract - this means you don't want permanent (that's why they say if you are after permanent employment, dont apply for the casual/ contract possies).

4. No, flight attendatns are covered by an EBA, not individual contracts. If you tried to do that, you might find it hard to find other crew who would fly with you!!. The FAAA would not support you on that, and the FAAA is a group you want to have on-side, particularly if you are casual or contract.!!

5. The second stage of interviews is a group interview. I believe they wont be hitting you with hard questions in this stage !!

6. Good Luck - it's a good company to work for.

I believe they will be interviewing for permanent full-time PER based L/Haul crew sometime soon.