PDA

View Full Version : Expired PPL can I start full time ATPL ground school?

maccers
2nd Nov 2007, 16:13
Greetings,

I have read in Lasors that to start ATPL full time ground school you require a PPL, but its a bit vague in stating if it needs to be current.

My ICAO PPL has just expired and I wanted to know if it is still possible to start this course? And if it is possible to renew the PPL once the ATPL course has started?

Thanks in advance....

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 16:18
Best thing to do is contact the CAA via E-mail.

[email protected]

WeeMan18
2nd Nov 2007, 16:36
LASORs say you need a PPL. They do not say you need a current PPL. If you start groundschool now, you are complying with LASORs as far as I can see. If you want to be squeaky clean you might want to phone CAA-FCL or ask your school directly, but I don't think it's necessary.

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 16:59
LASORS is NOT a legal document!

Re-Heat
2nd Nov 2007, 18:29
It doesn't matter if it is legal - it is as good a guide as one can use here for these purposes.

I would imagine that holding a PPL would mean a current PPL - an non-current PPL does not permit you to fly, and I would have thought that their intention is that you have sufficient recent experience...?

Who knows?!

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 18:54
It doesn't matter if it is legalOf course it matters, if its wrong and he attempts to sit the exams only to have his application rejected then he has no real grounds to appeal and has just wasted 3 months of study.

Who knows?!The CAA!!! Ask them, their advice is official and its FREE (unlike anything else that they do)!

WeeMan18
2nd Nov 2007, 19:40
Well, my opinion was based on the fact that I'm currently going through the sausage machine at one of the more reputable flying schools and a couple of blokes on the groundschool had lapsed PPLs. Both had undertaken the first half of the exams without any snags from the CAA, and one had recently flown a check ride with an examiner to get his PPL current again. The examiner had no issues with the situation.

Thanks to my new found love of Air Law, I can tell you that you hold your licence (PPL, CPL or ATPL) for life, whether current or not and even if factors such as age or medical prevent you from exercising its privileges. Therefore not having a current PPL is not the same as not having a PPL. I suspect that if the CAA meant current PPL, that is exactly what they would have written in LASORs. As many have said, the definitive answer is only a phone call away!

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 20:30
While I'm not disagreeing weeman, my point is that LASORS is not a legally binding document and I've twice seen people shafted because they took LASORS as gospel only to find out that the rules under JAA were different.

Also, I recommend E-mailing the CAA. If the issue comes up at a latter date, you have written proof and a name to put to it. Usually they get back to you within 48 hours (except Fri-Sun).

Thanks to my new found love of Air Law, I can tell you that you hold your licence (PPL, CPL or ATPL) for life

Really? Has this changed under EASA or something? All my licences are JAA and are only valid for 5 years.

WeeMan18
2nd Nov 2007, 21:02
It's a subtlety but one that one particular instructor made quite a big deal of. To exercise the privileges of the licences you need to keep current, maintain the medical, be within the age limits, give the CAA a wedge of notes every so often to revalidate, etc. However, you hold the licence for life apparently. If you reach your hundredth birthday, you may not be able to exercise your ATPL, but you are still an ATPL holder ... or so I am told.

I would try to dig out a reference but actually, when I said I love Air Law, I was lying.

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 21:07
when I said I love Air Law, I was lying
What!?! You mean you DONT think it's the absolute most exciting subject ever invented???

Seriously though, It's the absolute perfect remedy to insomnia! :zzz:

Good luck with the exams

MP

:ok:

mikejwright
3rd Nov 2007, 12:48
I have recently studied for the ATPL exams and and have booked up on the exams at gatwick. My PPL lapsed in 2006. They're not bothered if its current or not as long as you hold one. By the way my license was issued in 1999 which was the last year of the lifetime licenses before they became either a 5 or 10 year license validity.
Hope this helps.

Prophead
4th Nov 2007, 15:22
I didnt even think you needed a PPL. I hadnt even gone solo when i started mine:ooh:

Re-Heat
5th Nov 2007, 19:23
You missed my point - I meant that it is far better to have it current anyway for the training (recent experience etc), so get it current, and it won't even be an issue.