PDA

View Full Version : How willing are you to relocate for that first job.

che turner
2nd Nov 2007, 08:56
Hello to all. How willing are you to relocate for that first job.

It has been a long time since I made my last post, I am going to start my integrated atpl,s in the us in 3 mouths. Just like to ask a question to all out there who have finished there atpl with 500hrs or so, How willing are you to travel to get that first job? As the marked in Vietnam and that part of the world seams good for low hour starts.

Thanks for you input.

veetwo
2nd Nov 2007, 10:49
I think at the end of the day, especially in today's cruel environment for low hour newly qualified guys, you have to be prepared to consider moving anywhere for that first job.

That said, I wouldn't go to some places...Iraq being one !

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 11:55
That said, I wouldn't go to some places...Iraq being one !Why not the pay is good and with Saddam International being the only "friendly" airport in Iraq to land at, you're guaranteed some good hours. :E

Superpilot
2nd Nov 2007, 14:10
Does the STAR still involve a dive bomb from FL300 at 30 miles ? :\

Leezyjet
3rd Nov 2007, 01:59
I'll pretty much go anywhere and fly anything. Think you almost have to be prepared to do that these days. Thats probably another reason why there are so many unemployed new f/atpl's on these forums. It certainly ain't because there are no jobs out there. But if you don't want to move away from your mates/mummy and daddy/gf/bf etc. then you are only shooting yourself in the foot. You don't have to move away for ever either, maybe take up an offer at an alternative base and then once you have that foot in the door, apply for a transfer to the base you actually want.

I was offered a job in India flying A320's and I hadn't even done the ATPL's then (well still haven't actually but working on it !!) !!. Was told to come back when I was fully qualifed. So there are jobs out there. (also not what you know as they say :ok: )

Nigeria are desparate for pilots too with alot of new airlines with shiny new a/c sitting around. It isn't actually as bad as people imagine out there either and t&c's are not that unbearable for a year or so to get some experience under the belt.

:)

che turner
3rd Nov 2007, 09:42
Hi

I did think that this was the way. There are a lot of jobs out there, but you need to travel. I will be looking in to spending 2 or 3 years overseas on a new jet, sounds a lot better then 3 years instructing in a 156 over here, and you will get to see and gain a lot more jet time, so when you come back with 2000hrs you will have more chance get that dream international job.
Thanks

Lembrado
3rd Nov 2007, 11:08
Chaps,

Wow! I don't think any of you fully appreciate how hard things are when newly qualified.

che turner - You are way wide of the mark Sir! There are lots of jobs out there for guys with experience only. Instructing in a C15(2) may be your only option. For example, on my travels I have met many pilots now from around the world. A good mate of mine from India has a new CPL/IR hot off the press! He says that the Job market for newly qualified guys/gals in India has completely dried up and that he may now have a long wait to get that first job. How things change in only a year.

Superpilot - Please, if you get offered a job which involves moving, take it and don't hesitate. You never know when the next job offer may come!

Look chaps, I'm not getting at you - just making you aware of the current job market. I'd hate any of you to get a nasty shock.

L.

EpsilonVaz
3rd Nov 2007, 11:25
I'm still in training and I am continuously flabbergasted by the number of students that don't want to move away from their home country to find "that first job". I know so many people who have qualified, and have been sitting at home for months doing nothing just because they are only applying for jobs in [enter home country of choice].

As said in a post before, it doesn't have to be forever, just a few years, then you can come back to mummy.

ReallyAnnoyed
3rd Nov 2007, 11:50
It is a myth that there are jobs in abundance if you are just willing to move for them. There certainly is a demand for expatriates in many countries, but that is for experienced, and often rated, pilots. But yes, of course you will be even more disadvantaged if you are not willing to leave the local orchard.

I find it more than questionable to claim that operators in India are desperate to get fATPLers on their 320s. The oldtimers often come with a quote, but since they haven't arrived in the thread, I will steal their words: There never has been and never will be a shortage of inexperienced pilots.

My advice is to network and try to get the foot in the door whereever you know someone. Often, opportunities arise in odd places and luck stands by the keen. An operator will most likely prefer a local wet fATPL than a foreign one, as there is a chance that the local will stay while it is almost certain that the expat will bugger off at the first given chance.

Oh yeah, apply to CTC if you are an EU citizen when they open up for applications again. Long shot, but if it works you'll be on a shiny jet with less than 200 hours.

AlternativeProcedure
3rd Nov 2007, 18:42
Have to agree with ReallyAnnoyed, its not always easy to turn up to a foreign (maybe 3rd world) country and get those jobs, most countries often tend to protect their markets by allowing only experienced type rated pilots through the net. After all, they can be put straight to work without much flight traininig compared to a new Fatpl.
Having said all that, its not impossible, I have seen it happen many times where guys turn up and are just lucky enough to be put straight onto Jets/heavy TP's. When I finished my frozen ATPL in the UK, the market wasnt very good and I chose to relocate. I'm currently gusting 1500 hours with at least 1200 TP time. Thats got to help me somewhere along the line. Just remember though, relocating to a third world country might not be for everyone. Im still finding it very hard to adjust. Oh yeah, CRM may not always be as they taught you on the MCC.

Fly Safe
AP

Leezyjet
4th Nov 2007, 23:44
I find it more than questionable to claim that operators in India are desperate to get fATPLers on their 320s.

Not sure of you were referring to my reply there, RA. I never said they were desparate.

My advice is to network and try to get the foot in the door whereever you know someone. Often, opportunities arise in odd places and luck stands by the keen.

It was due to my 15 years of "foot in the door" in the airline industry and meeting lots of people along the way over the years, that I was made the offer. It was just unfortunate for me that I still have too much training left to do to be able to take it up.

As I said, not what you know as they say :ok:

:ok:

AlphaMale
4th Nov 2007, 23:48
I'd have no issues relocating ... when I qualify :bored: