PDA

View Full Version : MCC or not ?

VNA Lotus
2nd Nov 2007, 00:10
Hey Guys,

Is it really important the MCC for any jobs ?

I am wondering because even with a MCC, we have to do it again with the type rating of the company for example...
A friend of mine had a MCC and when he has been hired by a company he had to do the mcc during the type rating.

So today I hesitate with a FI course...

Well I guess a MCC does not guarantee any job like a TR whereas with a FI rating, a job can be found really fast before being in the rightseat.

What do you think ?

cheers

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 06:48
Well I guess a MCC does not guarantee any job like a TR whereas with a FI rating, a job can be found really fast before being in the rightseat.

I think that statement is a totally wrong. There are many type rated-no-time-on-type people still looking for the first job. A Type Rating guarantees absolutely nothing.

Most Airlines will expect you to have an MCC before applying so you do really need to have completed it.

VNA Lotus
2nd Nov 2007, 09:12
No no, sorry I meaned a TR does not guarantee any too (like a MCC). :)

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Nov 2007, 12:02
Apologises, I misunderstood. :)

If you look at most airline requirements, they do state that they expect the MCC completed. All airlines will retrain you on CRM/MCC anyway (which is why I think the MCC course is a pointless and unfair waste of money for pilots) but that's the system so unfortunately you will need to "bite the bullet".

apruneuk
2nd Nov 2007, 18:17
You've two chances of getting a multi-crew job in the UK without doing a stand-alone MCC prior to a type-rating; "...and Slim's out of town".

The Authorities would prefer MCC to be included as part of an initial TR but the training industry has been so successful at selling it as a separate course that time is no longer allowed for it allowed for it in the standard TR. If MCC were to be included as part of the initial TR, however, not only would it be infinitely more relevant but it would save a significant amount of money (due to the reduced hours requirement if done this way).

Jinkster
2nd Nov 2007, 21:08
I'd personally say - do the MCC course because if you dont the next guy will!!
Good luck!

moggiee
3rd Nov 2007, 22:57
The Authorities would prefer MCC to be included as part of an initial TR but the training industry has been so successful at selling it as a separate course that time is no longer allowed for it allowed for it in the standard TR. If MCC were to be included as part of the initial TR, however, not only would it be infinitely more relevant but it would save a significant amount of money (due to the reduced hours requirement if done this way).

Quite right that the JAA wanted it to be part of the TR - but it is the fault of the airlines that it usually isn't. I was in "the training industry" at the time that MCC came in and can assure you that we only started doing them because the airlines asked us to. They did the cost analysis and decided that it was either cheaper to subcontract (airlines like BA who sponsored cadets) or even cheaper to get the student to pay (Ryanair).

Think about the cost - 2 days of groundschool and up to 10 additional hours in the sim - how much would THAT cost at a TRTO? BA, for example, subcontracted the Jet Orientation Course (incoporating MCC) and saved about £1.25 million per year as a result.

BillieBob
4th Nov 2007, 01:14
Predictably, moggiee, as the provider of a modular MCC course, will champion that option, since that's how he earns his living. However, the fact is that MCC training is better given by a current TRI, irrespective of the type that the trainee is going to fly.

The 'Authorities' (i.e. the JAA) would prefer MCC training to be combined with the type rating course because that option provides the most relevant instruction by the most current instructors.