PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista + TomTom Sat Nav. Issues?

A2QFI
1st Nov 2007, 22:06
Earlier this week I bought a TomTom Go 720. Got it home, ran the software and Updates on my Windows Vista laptop. Carefully used Safely Remove Hadware and then the device, when switched on showed me a screen with a Big flashing Red Cross and was locked/crashed. Went back to H**fords and was given a new one, took it home and was back at H'fords again within 2 hours with the replacement similarly locked up. Clever man there managed to use my laptop to unlock one and reboot it. I have now installed the software in my Windows XP desk top and even the start up screens for TomTom are different. I am very leery about making any connection for updates or registration on either computer, as I don't want get locked up again. All this leads up to asking if anyone has had compatibility or connectivity problems with the newest TomToms and Vista fitted computers. Thanks for any input.

dazdaz
4th Nov 2007, 16:18
I've had a Tom Tom 300 for the past 3 years, never really botherd with updates, mine never came with the speed camera locations (is that why you want updates?) UK and RoI are only updated on the tomtom data base about every two years. Unless you want to add voice updates such as John Cleese.

Dam good sat nav though....Only one complaint, got lost at LCY airport, update might have helped.

Daz

Senior Pilot
5th Nov 2007, 05:49
I've got TomTom Rider 2, a great piece of kit: which locks up on XP at the drop of a hat :rolleyes:

Quite used to it now, I reset the satnav with a bent paperclip in the little hole next to the data card: it doesn't seem to have any effect on the memory, thank goodness. Not the most stable bit of software, but a really nice GPS for the motorbike :ok:

spannersatcx
5th Nov 2007, 11:36
I've had this before, and I think it's to do with the way you connect/disconnect. When you connect it to the pc and switch on is says connect to computer yes/no. Select yes, pc detects it. Then launch TTHome. when you have finished whatever you are doing, press the disconnect icon in home. It will do it's stuff and then it should say connect to pc yes/no again. Select no and your TT should start up as normal. The trick is to wait until you've done it all and let it do it's stuff rather than connecting it as a usb device.
Failing that a hard rest with a safety pin/paperclip usually reboots it all, but I think it is the way you are disconnecting that is causing the problem.
The only time I connect it as a usb device is when installing speedcams from pocketgps (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php).
The idea of the new TT 720 is something called mapshare which allows you to get roadblocks and such like to update the maps. Also I do the GPS update once a week, as the satellites move each week it takes longer for the device to find them, with the gps update every week, the capture is almost instantaneous.

edit:

Just updated to the latest TTHome and new V7 application for the unit. The big red X is on when the sat TT is connected to the pc and you are in TTHome. When you finish TTHome it minimises to the task bar (running programs RH side in XP) then right click on that to exit TTHome completely, then the big red X goes from the TT screen, then disconnect the USB device and TT should reboot. This is with xp though I imagine Vista should be the same. If not might be worth a look at the forums on pocketgps.

A2QFI
5th Nov 2007, 18:34
Many thanks for the comments and especially the useful connect/disconnect proecdure from Spannersatcx. I am using TT to go some obscure village, in the hills behind Marbella, from Malaga airport, in the dark, with a passenger who doesn't do map reading so I am not going to do ANY internet stuff until I get back. When I do I will follow the suggested procedures and report back on their success or otherwise!

Senior Pilot
5th Nov 2007, 22:03
I agree with spannersatcx, it is a very cumbersome connect/disconnect procedure, and one that contributed to early lock ups with my Rider2. But even following the correct procedure, I still get freezes, sometimes even when programming whilst in the cradle on the bike :rolleyes:

Paper clip = essential spares :ok:

spannersatcx
6th Nov 2007, 07:18
Paper clip = essential spares
Absolutely, had a few occasions when it just won't switch on, quick reset and away you go (in the right direction:ok:)