PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew & Pregnancy

Mach Tuck
17th Aug 2001, 12:41
What is your employer's policy regarding Cabin Crew and pregnancy?

MT

ROGER Co-J
17th Aug 2001, 16:39
You read my mind MT.Wondering about the same thing.

Here at KQ, apparently they hire cabin crew on 3 year contracts during which pregnancy will lead to dismissal.A few who were fired have sought legal advice, but are still suspended.

What's yours?

Mach Tuck
18th Aug 2001, 09:48
RCJ,

The reason for asking is that, as yet, my employer doesn't have one. Who's KQ?

MT

PURPLE PITOT
18th Aug 2001, 14:35
Is there something you would like to tell us H?

bullshit
19th Aug 2001, 11:32
Firstly, being pregnant is not an illness. Secondly, a FA is on the a/c for safety purposes and should be able to carry on those duties as long as she is able to do so.
It seems strange that your company employs females and does not have a policy for when they become pregnant. Does your company have any employment policies? Does your company have any policies?
If there is no pregnancy clause in their contracts of employment, then dismisal because of becoming pregnant is wrong and the company should be taken to court.
This company sounds has if it operates in the dark ages.
MT, as your profile is aircrew, is there some other motive to your request for info?

moosey
22nd Aug 2001, 17:25
As have recently returned from having a baby am pretty clued up on this. We are grounded as soon as we tell the company we are pregnant and are given duties on the ground. We are allowed time off for antenatal appointments.
After maternity leave we can return to work on a partime basis for the first 2 years, 50% for the first year, 75% for the second and back to full time in the third. I am really pleased I decided to return to flying and would recommend giving it a try. It's one of the best jobs for parents.

Mach Tuck
22nd Aug 2001, 21:44
Bull**** (an entirely fitting monicker, methinks), RTFQ.

RCJ & LHR, thank you for reading the question and your useful contribution.

PP, Just thinking ahead, M, just thinking ahead.

MT

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: Mach Tuck ]

GalleyWench
23rd Aug 2001, 01:53
Mt, At my carrier we have 3 options when pregnant- if the doctor clears us we may fly I believe until the 26 week of pregnancy ( I think they recently make it 28-30 weeks but am not up to speed on that) then you go on 'sick leave' until 3 months after delivery. The doctor can sign you off for an additional 3 months- you use your sick bank for pay during this period. You also have the option of not flying at any time during your pregnancy- you MAY use sick bank for this time or just remain unpaid. You may also work in a non flying job until your due date- the same pay rate and hours per month you would work normally.