View Full Version : Highland Airways

Yak97
1st Nov 2007, 18:49
I see from their website that Highland Airways is getting a Beech 1900. Are they moving away from the Jetstreams or is this for longer routes (quicker than J31?).

we_never_change
6th Nov 2007, 09:00
The Be1900 could be for the Cardiff - Valley route with the Jetstream moving back upto Inverness

WNC

CRX
11th Nov 2007, 13:23
It is an ACMI lease to evaluate the aircraft. It's exact disposition is yet to be determined, but it will be put to good use.
The Jetstreams are still going 'strong' (!) and recruitment onto type is still happening so unlikely to be binned just yet...

captainyonder
17th Nov 2007, 15:00
Is there a crew base at Cardiff or do Highland just rotate the crews between Cardiff and Inverness?

silverknapper
19th Nov 2007, 08:37
No there is a crew base at CWL.

mathers_wales_uk
19th Nov 2007, 11:09
with a crew and aircraft based at Cardiff, i'm very supprised that they haven't opened up another route for 2 sectors which they could do as Eastern Airways did with the BRU and the NCL.

I wonder if Highland would stick around once the 3 year funding has gone

NorthSouth
19th Nov 2007, 14:22
Has Hiway got its Islander for the Hebridean services yet? I see they aren't advertising for an Islander pilot any more.
NS

CRX
20th Nov 2007, 16:25
An aircraft has been located and is being surveyed. A pilot has been recruited for the role, subject to a probationary period.

iflycwl
21st Nov 2007, 10:36
Highland route to Angelsey from CWL is doing very well - higher than ever anticipated. Average load of 12 passengers per flight with majority operating to capacity.

A larger aircraft would benefit this route such as a J41.........this will then give the range for additional services ex CWL. You would have though they would have looked at CWL-GCI or CWL-IOM especially on the weekends as these two destinations are not served direct from CWL.

Lets hope they spot this market for the Summer 2008 season !!!

NorthSouth
21st Nov 2007, 11:09
The Cardiff-Valley service originated from a political imperative from the Welsh Assembly that there should be better transport links connecting North and South Wales, backed by a hefty subsidy from the UK taxpayer, not from any commercial considerations by Hiway, and their commitment to the publicly-funded Valley service will always take precedence over any other use of the aircraft.
NS

virginblue
21st Nov 2007, 12:06
Is Angelsey - Cardiff purely an outbound market or is there reasonable traffic at the CWL end as well?

iflycwl
21st Nov 2007, 12:35
Loads are good on both sector - average 130 passengers per Mon-Fri on outbound sectors ex CWL - this is what I have been told by someone in the know !!!

virginblue
21st Nov 2007, 14:43
Nice. That's a 72% load factor.

s_insania
11th Apr 2008, 20:46
Hi Guys,
Can anyone update me on the fleet information for Highland, are they still using all the Jetstream 31's?
They have received 2 Jetstream 41's with 2 more to come, anyone know what for?
Also, what routes do they operate apart from the scheduled ones? (i.e flights for BAE Systems etc) I've found the Warton - Filton...are there any more?

Cheers,
Sam

simoncorbett
12th Apr 2008, 06:16
they also fly cardiff to angelsey twice daily m-f with jetstream

Lima Foxtrot
12th Apr 2008, 07:12
Hello,

From what I can gather from G-INFO and various other places they have:
6x J31s (G-BTXG, G-CCPW, G-EIGG, G-JURA, G-LOVB, G-UIST)
1x F406s (G-LEAF and they also operate the 2x on behalf of the SFPA (G-SFPA and G-SFPB)
1x BN2 (G-SEIL)
1x J41 (G-TEXA with another arriving in the near future)

As far as routes go:
They do the newspaper runs for the Northern and Western Isles flying to Stornoway, Kirkwall and Sumburgh.
They have a PSO contract flight running between Inverness, Stornoway and Benbecula
They have another PSO contract flying between Anglesey (Mona) and Cardiff using a J31
The Islander will (eventually!) be used for flights between Oban, Coll, Colonsay and Tiree.
I think they also have 2x J31s flying for BAe beteen Warton and Cambridge and also do Oil exploration flights to Ireland (Cork, Shannon, Waterford) as well as to Norway (Bergen, Stavanger) and the Faroes (Vagar).
The J41 as far as I know will be used for BAe on the same flights as the 2x J31s (more pax!)

jetstreamtechrecords
12th Apr 2008, 07:22
according to latest EBAN they have two J41s on order. Basil quoted as saying "a 12 month contract is lined up to provide a corporate shuttle from Scotland to the South west". Starting early summer. Eastern are bringing on more SAABs to replace the 41s:ok:

Wellington Bomber
12th Apr 2008, 14:08
Jetstreamtechrecords

I believe that Eastern would like to get more Saab 2000's but there are none available, there was only ever 54 built and 1 of them was written off. I do believe however that the INV-AMS codeshare is now back on, watch this space

I do believe that G-MAJN is at this minute been checked out by Highland at Eastern, this aircraft was operating in Norway and was due to be sold to the Norwegians but the route on which it was operating for some company has decided to close it, and therefore a/c not now needed.

virginblue
12th Apr 2008, 14:39
Just for the record, 63 Saab 200s were built. 2 have been written off.

Indeed there is almost zero availability. The last examples that came on the market were the ex Régional aircraft and they were quickly snapped up.

s_insania
12th Apr 2008, 20:44
Cheers guys, I knew about the scheduled flights (eg what's on the website) BAe flights are hard to find information about. Can anyone tell me what sort of frequency/times the BAe flights are/or the newspaper runs.
So if the J41's will take over on the BAe flights from the J31's where will they put the extra 31's?

Exasperated
12th Apr 2008, 23:11
Highland were advertising for type rated crews to be based at INV and EDI recently so this may provide a clue as to where the aircraft will be based.

Ex

Morrihell
13th Apr 2008, 01:22
<quote>according to latest EBAN they have two J41s on order. Basil quoted as saying "a 12 month contract is lined up to provide a corporate shuttle from Scotland to the South west". Starting early summer. Eastern are bringing on more SAABs to replace the 41s<quote>

G-LOVB (and other JS31s) have been flying Glasgow-Filton-Plymouth and back for some months now.........

Richard Taylor
13th Apr 2008, 09:38
Are Highland looking at more scheduled routes beyond what they currently do, eg. INVCWL for example (given their interests at both)?

And are they wise to, given the current economic climate? Guess however there is always an opening for someone, somewhere - good on them.

Dash-7 lover
13th Apr 2008, 12:59
J41 destined for GLA-EDI-FZO-PLH

OliWW
13th Apr 2008, 17:22
Does anyone think that Highland might operate Newquay - East Midlands?

Would be a perfect operator for the route

Exasperated
13th Apr 2008, 19:26
J41 destined for GLA-EDI-FZO-PLH

If this is the case, probably originate in EDI as crews are based there.

Ex

Richard Taylor
14th Apr 2008, 12:38
My Q at #10 not directly linked to this, but rumour that Highland may be looking at the ex-City Star routes, or some of them.

Dunno how substantiated this is, may be a case of "my friend was hearing that his friend's brother's cousin said..." :rolleyes:
:}

jimbo canuck
15th Apr 2008, 19:06
Highland have been operating this route for some time now with a J31 so the J41 would be a capacity increase, not a new route.

virginblue
10th Aug 2008, 15:29
I note at Jethros that Highland have acquired three additional Jetstream 31/32s from Norway/Sweden, bringing the fleet to 9 examples. Those plus four Jetstream 41s makes a pretty impressive fleet of 13 Jetstreams. How do they keep them busy - the schedules only require two Jetstreams, and the corporate shuttle another two, if I am not mistaken?

EDIT: As we are just at it - when did they drop the direct INV-BEB flights? I took one of those about two years ago very soon after their inaugural and they seemed to be reasonably patronized back then.

Richard Taylor
10th Aug 2008, 15:39
They do a few oil charters, although I've not heard them in Aberdeen of late - they were around earlier in the year. Likes of Stavanger, Bergen, Ireland.

scr1
9th Jan 2009, 18:57
BBC NEWS | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Airline secures Finnish contract (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7819686.stm)

will they get more 31s for this route/ use the ones they have parked up for long periods

GusHoneybun
9th Jan 2009, 21:28
there a some very good reasons highland wont setup a lunchtime run out of plymouth using the 41.
first, the crew are on a split due to working a max duty day already, so there is no-one to fly the wee beasty.
second, the charter client have stated that they want the aircraft to be available whenever, and wont be too happy seeing the aircraft disappearing off downroute everyday. this charter is a nice little earner for highland and they don't want to rock the boat after what was a shaky start.
finally, highland don't like to do schedule flying. when they do, it's only PSO routes and there aint many of those out of plymouth.

fraid your stuck with AirSouthwest.

as for the finnish contract, rumour has it that there will be two jetstreams based there to reduce any downtime due to potential tech problems. however, trying to crew this route will stretch an already strained roster. :{

WHBM
9th Jan 2009, 21:50
I'm probably one of the few on here who has actually flown into Lappeenranta, near the Finnish border with Russia (even looked at renting a PA28 from the local aero club for a jolly but that's another matter). A few years ago it was on the Golden Air network in Finland, with about 6 SF340s to Helsinki a day, then they gave it up and there was nothing for a while.

Fly Lappeenranta (a sort of local Chamber of Commerce-type initiative) started up and chartered an SF340 themselves for just 4 a day, but don't seem to have had much success, probably because they don't have the interline arrangements with Finnair that Golden Air had. So they are downsizing again, to a Jetstream.

Typical loads a few years ago on the Saabs were about a dozen passengers, in fact never more, and I guess have gone down since, which would fit the Jetstream nicely. Hope the crews manage to enjoy Lappeenranta hotac - have to say it's no Las Vegas !

alphaadrian
11th Jan 2009, 21:30
I believe G-GCPW will be going to Lappenranta. G-FARA has already gone.:ok:

s_insania
18th Jan 2009, 13:06
With CCPW and FARA leaving for Finland to fly for Lappenranta, that leaves just 4 Jetstream 31's.

2 based Warton for BAE (EIGG/UIST)
1 ops PSO Cardiff-Valley (BTXG)
1 ops PSO Stornoway-Benbecula (JURA?)

What will then operate the mail contract they have that operates between Kirkwall, Sumburgh and Inverness on a morning? (HWY4A/B/C)
Is G-NOSS ready to be put in to service yet?

Cheers,
Sam

Report@Boddam
18th Jan 2009, 13:54
What will then operate the mail contract they have that operates between Kirkwall, Sumburgh and Inverness on a morning? (HWY4A/B/C)

That contract is for newspapers and it was G-PW this morning:ok:

R@B

s_insania
18th Jan 2009, 20:30
What will happen when CCPW leaves for Finland? Is it due to go when Highland bring the next in to service (G-NOSS)?
Also, what's to happen to the other Jetstream 41 G-TEXA?

scr1
25th Mar 2009, 19:28
all highland a/c are currently being followed when taxing/taking off and landing at inv by an airport car from the fire section or the ops dept to check for fod after some incedents including tools found on runway and bits of metal falling off

scr1
27th Mar 2009, 20:03
the airport have now stoped following them

ifu05596
8th May 2009, 14:50
I frequently fly with Highland on the Stornoway - Benbecula route and the service is not very good. I have on occasions been sitting around the airport expecting the be called and the staff have the binoculars out looking for the plane that has not even left were it was coming from yet. A simple phone call to a. let the staff know and b. let the pax know would only be common courtesy.

The fares are a joke too. Stornoway - Benbecula £120 economy return (if you are lucky) for being on 15 minutes and they normally have decent loads and that is it with government subsidy apparently. When I fly Benbecula - Inverness I normaly change onto Loganair (Flybe) in Stornoway as its much cheaper and the cabin is clean, tidy, your hand luggage doesn't get confiscated from you!

Also I was on when an elderly woman was travelling for a hospital visit who was unsteady on her feet and they refused to use ambulift, which I believe the lady's doctor requested. The lady fell over the deathtrap of a step and was hurt badly. Not an infrequent occurance from what I hear.

Even without subsidy I think Loganair (Flybe) would make a better go of the route. It would allow interlining services to Inverness and Edinburgh and also be more useful to Barra pax. It would also have cheaper connection to Aberdeen/Sumburgh.

silverknapper
8th May 2009, 15:19
Hmmmm let me see 2 posts in your entire pprune career. And you're so lazy you just copy pasted the first one. Well done!

ifu05596
8th May 2009, 15:43
I am one of those people who only post when there is something to be said! I fly with Loganair when I can but have to fly Highland sometimes. I may not have posted often but are the point I have made not valid?

Can you name another airline that refused to use an ambulift (no weather issues) and takes the patient out to the aircraft in a rusty wheelchair covered in bird excrament? Since been replaced I believe as a result of numerous complaints from health authorities, but did it really need to get to that stage.

I flew back with the same woman the next day and only after much complaining by her family was something done about it. It is a sad day when it takes someone to complain to help a struggling 80+ cancer patient onto an aircraft.

As for the lazy comment I resent that! I was on a rant and wanted to see what the franchise partner readers had to say afterall the Flybe thread is much bigger than this one.

Kiltie
8th May 2009, 17:28
The Jetstream 31 cannot accomodate an Ambulift by way of access door / steps design. When I flew this aircraft (not with Highland Airways), wheelchair passengers were unfortunately denied travel. This was always made clear at the time of booking. Before anyone jumps on the wagon of discrimination, the policy was accepted by the CAA and airports from which we operated.

Too often we see passengers booked on flights who do not declare pertinent disabilities prior to checking in. I once gave in to a paralysed passenger who politely insisted on being allowed travel on a J31 flight. Despite the crew's best efforts to assist the gentleman on board, the narrow rear galley precluded this and he had to crawl unassisted from the step along to his seat. On this occasion I broke several rules and left myself wide open to prosecution should we have had to evacuate. In hindsight I would now stand firm in denying travel for this very reason.

GusHoneybun
8th May 2009, 18:02
The Jetstream can use an ambulift, and I used to use one almost daily in Highland. However, on the western isles, the service is provided by HIAL's fire service, not Highland Airways. They have some very strict rules about when the ambulift can be used, which, if I recall is no more than 15kts of wind. Try and find a day with less wind than that in BEB or SYY and you begin to see the problem.
The health board and local doctors have no idea when booking pax on travel for hospital. How are you supposed to board pax who weighed well in excess of 130 kgs, only have with one leg, are blind and completely immobile. I don't think that a Saab crew would have an better luck that the HWY crew.

Personally, I would be deny boarding to any pax who could not carry themselves from the ambulift to their seat, or if it was too windy for the ambulift and they could not climb the steps unaided. It's not the ground or flight crews job to physically manhandle pax into the aircraft. If they need that level of assitance, then get them on the air ambulance or send them by road. Its safer for all involved.

ifu05596
8th May 2009, 21:17
From talking to the family air ambulance travel was denied and the ambulift was used when disembarking on the return leg when the weather was similar. She has been travelling by air ambulance since the incident. The pax was able to move from lift to seat but she was not told about the step in the middle of the plane and tripped.

I don't really know what you mean by not their responsibility. It clearly states on the website of most airlines that assisted boarding is available. If you ask for it and it is granted surely then they are responsible?

WHBM
8th May 2009, 21:45
Can you name another airline that refused to use an ambulift (no weather issues) and takes the patient out to the aircraft in a rusty wheelchair covered in bird excrament?
Special handling of disabled passengers at the airport is the responsibility of the airport owner under European Regulation 1107/2006. If you don't think the procedures put in place are appropriate or compliant please take it up with the airport operator rather than attributing this to any of the airlines who operate through there. The same goes if you don't like the car parking charges or anything else about the airport facilities.

If the health authorities are booking space on aircraft which are inadequate for the condition of patients, cannot dock to the ambulift, etc then that is something to take up with the health authorites, to ensure that they book space on or charter aircraft of adequate capability rather than the cheapest option and hoping the poor crews will somehow work it out on the day.

silverknapper
9th May 2009, 13:05
staff have the binoculars out looking for the plane
HA Staff in Syy do not possess a pair of binoculars - stop making things up.
they refused to use ambulift, which I believe the lady's doctor requested.
Had one been requested and it was serviceable it would have been used. Staff do not 'refuse' to help passengers.
The lady fell over the deathtrap of a step and was hurt badly. Not an infrequent occurance from what I hear.
If this is true PM me the date it happened. I don't recall this happening but will check. In 4 years of operating the route it has never happened to me so I would say it's a very infrequent occurence.

You seem to have it in for Hwy for some reason. I don't care, anyone who sees a one post wonder disregards them anyway. However I will not watch you denegrate or call in to doubt the commitment of our staff out West. To a man they are excellent, and often go beyond the call of duty assisting pax who quite frankly should be on a stretcher in the back of a King Air.

Mind you I doubt very much you've ever seen the inside of a Jetstream never mind actually travelled with us. :mad:

Kiltie
10th May 2009, 07:24
How did you get the ambulift ramp to fit against the cabin floor of a J31? The check strap and handrail of the door were always in the way as far as I can remember?

mad_jock
10th May 2009, 08:40
They have a extension which tapers which fits quite nicely between the door sides and avoids the rails.

The extensions are present on the SYY lift which is the self propelled van and Ben which is the trailer version operated by the fire men.

If you want a look at one there is one fitted to the ambulift trailer parked beside the fire station in Inverness.

To be honest HWY must shift 100's of NHS patent's between the Islands and all the pilots get to know the regulars pretty well. And certainly getting called love or your first name by the pax is the norm while boarding. And long may it continue for the guys who continue to fly the route. I must admit I had a bit of dust in my eye when the blind lady with leukaemia from BEN passed on.

Also you seem to forget the staff on the ground have lived on the islands for years and know virtually all the locals since they were children. Which does produce some amusing conversations when ID is requested "What do you want that for hen, I used to change your nappy"

As for tripping over the main spar unfortunately its an on going problem with the J31/32 series I think every operator of them has had issues with people who trip on them even after being warned verbally, a high viz cover being placed over it and a warning light on the cabin ceiling telling you it's there. I can't really see how a ambulift pax would get that far up the aircraft as they were normally seated in the second back double.

As for the state of the ambi seats they were all replaced about 3 years ago.

Is this a bitter and twisted poke at highland because the Heath Board have refused the King Air for transfer?

Your really must tell us the date and sector which this event occurred on. The posters that have replied to you from Highland are either ex Captains or Current ones stretching back over 4 years of operation of that route. Between us we have several thousand flights on that route. If an incident had occurred we would either have been involved or received paper work informing us of the event.

And re-reading your post I see the family have got their wish of the King Air transfer, good for them. But next time you sit down to read the newspaper and think the weather is blowing a gale and you can only see 750 meters down the road. The HWY pilots brought that newspaper to you and for all its faults the Jetstream is a superb ship for dealing with everything the west coast of scotland can throw at it.

jetstreamtechrecords
10th May 2009, 14:40
well said that man. Bl00dy good aircraft the Jetstream for flying when the high wingers are checking their X wind limits:ok:

Riverboat
10th May 2009, 16:42
Nice one mad_jock. I have always been very impressed with the service, and I can't imagine where ifu090556 is coming from, except perhaps the competition.

HighlandBoy
10th May 2009, 17:09
Oaki seems to be on the west lately :ok:

Shes a bit Phat with the autopilot though

mad_jock
10th May 2009, 18:12
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HRkjZn-kw4Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HRkjZn-kw4Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8f46HHz_PQM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8f46HHz_PQM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I thought some would like to see a couple of different faces of the western isle route which was filmed by one of the other Pilots.

s_insania
25th Jul 2009, 14:53
What's happening with the contract in Finland at the moment. Has it been temporarily suspended for a while as it doesn't seem to have been flying for a while. Looking on Lappeenranta's booking system, flight's seem to start again mid-way through August? Are they waiting for G-EDAY to be ready for service? Seems to have been in INV for a while
Also, seems like G-NOSS is operating for Highland now, was on the mail contract this week in Scotland. Has this got a similar coat of paint to FARA or is it still in Coast Air's livery?

Regards
Sam

runway30
24th Jan 2010, 22:54
Is Highland Airways having technical difficulties with the website or does it signify something more serious?

planenut321
24th Jan 2010, 22:57
Rumor has it that staff are being tolds whats happening tomorrow :confused:

runway30
24th Jan 2010, 23:02
Are flights still operating?

cpt bligh
24th Jan 2010, 23:50
I tried the website too and it says 'sorry flight full' to all flights as far ahead as you can book. Technical problem or...?

TSR2
24th Jan 2010, 23:59
The note on their website says:

"Sorry! we are currently unable to take any bookings ... please bear with us whilst we resolve technical difficulties."

ecj
25th Jan 2010, 06:33
Meeting called for 9am this morning............

HH6702
25th Jan 2010, 06:49
doesnt sound good, good luck to everyone who works for them

dontdoit
25th Jan 2010, 07:48
BBC reporting on this story here :

BBC News - Concerns over future of Highland airline (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8478134.stm)

I did it HWY
25th Jan 2010, 08:07
Yeah Inverness getting told at nine am but SYY and BEB ....10am just shows you what they think of us who have been worrying for over a week now in the outstations!:mad:

madlandrover
25th Jan 2010, 09:52
With all due sympathy HWY: it's common for the furthest away to be the last to be told I'm afraid. There are a few other companies waiting for news on this one, not least the other aviation companies who want the cash from a potential large investor in HWY - it's you or them. Harsh but true. Someone's got to lose, but I think the industry as a whole (as well as the outer isles!!) would rather keep the Highlands' airline alive...

Captain Caveman
25th Jan 2010, 10:37
So what is the official line ? Is it in receivership, downsize ? some parts of the business remain ?

Thanks in advance

Airbus321-200
25th Jan 2010, 10:51
I really hope they survive. Its small regional airlines that give the aviation sector its character.

I recently read an article in Airliner World about HWY which got me worried. Everytime i read an article in Airliner World about small airlines they go bust. Do they get magazines in for free advertising or am i the kiss of death??

Good luck to all the HWY staff.

Potential
25th Jan 2010, 12:23
They have released a statement on their website: Highland Airways | Press centre (http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/cgi-bin/airkiosk/I7/191003?100125132057.86.134.79.235.18966+/highland/I7/EN/static/presscentre.html)

Fernanjet
25th Jan 2010, 13:28
is it just me or would that press centre release make people not book a flight with them at all at the moment?

it really can't help can it?

Mr Moustache
25th Jan 2010, 14:10
I wonder why the Highland Airways Press release is dated 26th, ie tomorrow. Hopefully they will survive even if the management do not appear to know what day it is.

ab33t
25th Jan 2010, 15:38
This is sad times , everytime so far that these staements have been issued the trouble just got worse . Hope they stop the booking

Airbus321-200
25th Jan 2010, 16:31
What was the outcome of the meetings today??

That press release doesnt say much and you still cannot book flights online.

Wellington Bomber
25th Jan 2010, 16:39
I heard an Eastern Airways J41 go to Warton this morning, was this covering for Highland by any chance?

parkfell
25th Jan 2010, 17:02
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts, and Jersey based investment companies !

maxpower2010
26th Jan 2010, 02:38
Hope something works out for all the folk at Highland! It's an interesting place to work for a variety of reasons good and nearer the end bad, but those who have worked with Highland and truly invest (not monetary sense) in keeping the fleet flying and going that extra step above and beyond the call of duty will know what I'm talking about!

Flying to some remote but stunning places and meeting a variety of different people did make it special! But what really made Highland (IMOP) was way back when there was the family feel that the airline had. It gave staff the feeling that they were part of something where the company was not too big where you cannot voice an opinion and it would not be heard. The man AM himself I have a lot of time for. But I feel that as the company grew beyond it's small 'local' contracts, that 'family feel' was starting to dissapear, being driven by certain people wanting to 'manage' so that they had their own little empire.
Now 'that' voice which had an opinion was no longer being heard.

As an employee working from days when we used the daks and with the 406 and j31 doing most of the contracts u did everything you possibly could to keep the aircraft flying and it was appreciated that you went that extra mile, as i'm sure we are all aware any contract was welcome (no matter how diverse). As the company grew at a steady rate it retained that 'family' feel employing people who also seen what Highland had to offer. But as the company began to spread and the mangement buy-out was all done with the company changed as the rapid growth which Highland was not used to started to kick-back. It appeared to be that whatever you had to say did not count anymore, unless it meant getting them out the S**t. Again.

Whilst the additional income was welcomed it was never properly thought through. And when being told face-face not to do certain things, they continued to do so only to be left further out of pocket. To continue in such a manner was bound to end in vast losses. For a period of time highland was growing at a nice pace and there was a good feeling that things were getting better. But people I used to work with felt that any extra mile they had went to help the company out before was now expected the norm and add an extra 20 miles on top, with no extra thanks. When were these people going to wake up and realise that key and experienced staff were leaving being driven away by them and not answering the cries for help? Do they realise now? Prob not. Whilst this may appear exhaustive and a bit of a rant I feel this current situation could have been avoided. I know for a fact people who have left ,would still be there right now.

Again I hope that Highland does get the investment it needs (maybe get rid of a few j31's to help) and that the current staff can keep on in their jobs and get that same spirit which kept Highland going through the troubled times before (don't mention ATR) will get the airline back on its feet again as it has done before in the past. I don't see AM re-mortgaging his house this time to pay the staff.

Good luck to all!

runway30
26th Jan 2010, 13:09
It is now being reported that an investor will be announced within 48 hours and reservations are being resumed later today. Crisis over?

Fernanjet
26th Jan 2010, 13:14
It is now being reported that an investor will be announced within 48 hours and reservations are being resumed later today. Crisis over?

i think it's probably just the start of the crisis....

placing a block on your website so as not to allow reservations is hardly enticing people to book again in the imminent future is it?

matkat
26th Jan 2010, 13:21
Not wanting to p$$s on anyones parade but that was exactly the same statement that came from flyglobespan, and look what happened there, hope I am completely wrong.

james brown
26th Jan 2010, 15:30
placing a block on your website so as not to allow reservations is hardly enticing people to book again in the imminent future is it?

Alternatively one may choose to view the fact that Highland withdrew the reservation function whilst it appeared they were in trouble as an entirely honourable action.
As a consumer I think that turning down income voluntarily to avoid the possibility of being unable to fulfil their part of the contract is to be applauded. It would have been all too easy for them to continue taking cash, fully aware that it is not with the best of intentions.
Perhaps other airlines acted like this in the past.......but I would propose that most keep taking money right up until the moment the doors are locked behind them.
Good luck Highland, you carry my best wishes and hopes for the future. Maybe for once we have an airline with some integrity in the upper ranks?

Fernanjet
26th Jan 2010, 15:37
i too applaud the thought process, however acting with integrity could also be a little naiive in believing the public will return to the airline with open arms.

would you seriously book a seat on an airline openly stating that they are facing difficulties, have already stopped accepting bookings for a limited period, and have not yet 100% secured financial backing that is required to keep them afloat?

my money would stay in my pocket if i'm totally honest, even though i wish them all the best i would not want my money "trying" to keep them afloat.

it's bad enough trying to keep yourself amount with Mr Brown still "in charge"

xtypeman
26th Jan 2010, 15:50
More likely CAA Kingsway has a hand in this. They proberbly told Highland that until they have secured further funding they could fly but not accept further bookings. In a way it lessons the impact on stranded passengers if the company fails. Scheduled passengers are not protected by an ATOL. However it is also killing off the main revenue stream and if that stays off too long then there is know money to pay the bills.

silverknapper
26th Jan 2010, 18:00
More likely CAA Kingsway has a hand in this. They proberbly told Highland

Absolute Rubbish.

clear prop!!!
26th Jan 2010, 22:12
Alternatively one may choose to view the fact that Highland withdrew the reservation function whilst it appeared they were in trouble as an entirely honourable action.

Trading whilst knowingly insolvent (if indeed they are), could land the Directors in Jail…(breach of fiduciary duties and all that), so ‘perhaps’ a little self-protection rather than an upstanding moral standpoint here!!

I do hope that Highland can get themselves stabalised, we’ve had enough bad news up here North of Watford, and the Highland folks deserve a break.

Good luck to you all

Bus429
27th Jan 2010, 06:16
Clear prop's about right; in English law (as far as I know), you can continue to trade while insolvent if you are in negotiations or believe there is some way out. I hope HAL sort it all out (for a variety of reasons: not only for those at HAL but those in remote areas of the UK who rely on them).

DB6
27th Jan 2010, 09:48
Highland is probably subject to Scottish law :E.

Bus429
27th Jan 2010, 10:41
DB6 - sorry, yes; I should have made it clear that I was comparing. Unlikely Scottish law much different?

G-AWZK
27th Jan 2010, 15:13
Scottish law is much harsher on directors who are incompetent or deliberately corrupt, compared to English law.

cpt bligh
27th Jan 2010, 17:42
I see their website is now taking bookings (but only two days ahead until Fri 29). Is this a positive sign?

runway30
28th Jan 2010, 01:37
I see their website is now taking bookings (but only two days ahead until Fri 29). Is this a positive sign?

No, it just means we know they'll be in business until at least Friday

runway30
28th Jan 2010, 13:09
A statement released by the company states that they are in ongoing talks with potential investors but won't know if the future of the company has been secured before Sunday 31st January. Bookings are now being accepted up until that date.

ALLMCC
28th Jan 2010, 20:28
Wonder who this could be, Loganair perhaps?

Other airline ready to step in if Highland Airways folds - Press & Journal (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1580355?UserKey=)

clear prop!!!
28th Jan 2010, 20:42
Wonder who this could be, Loganair perhaps?

I suspect that the article (if correct), would not be an 'investment' by Logan, more of a take over the routes and government subsidies at no cost!!

The article talks about Logan Air stepping in to 'help' rather than investing.

If this happened, it would not be a take over or merger, so TUPE rules would not apply....NOT a good situation, so lets hope an investor can be found by Sunday.

Sounds like Scottish Government covering their arse rather than helping Highland:rolleyes:

jetstreamtechrecords
29th Jan 2010, 08:35
All Loganair will want is to pick up the routes, not pay for them. They do operate Twotters and Islanders so no problems there on the island routes.

Flightrider
29th Jan 2010, 11:14
Sounds like Scottish Government covering their arse rather than helping Highland

That's a pretty outrageous comment to make given that Highland is backed by a public enterprise company (i.e. taxpayer money) which funded the buyout and that, amongst others, it apparently owes money to Highlands & Islands Airports (government owned) and presumably others like the taxman. How much more help do you want, bearing in mind that state aid to airlines is illegal in the EU?

runway30
31st Jan 2010, 00:00
Post on another forum states that the wages haven't been paid. However a statement issued by the company is confident about negotiations over the investment and reservations can now be made up until the end of February!!!

jetstreamtechrecords
31st Jan 2010, 20:41
The company cann bull:mad: all it likes. The BAE contract has gone The newspaper contracts are being touted and the Welsh PSO finishes shortly.

Its the Campaign Against Aviation that calls the shots now. As airlines dont pay into the ATOL fund the CAA has to repay pax if airlines go bust so theyre not too chuffed to see airlines taking bookings when they may not be able to operate the flights.:eek: Their normal course is to suspend the AOC till funding is sorted out.

uncle dickie
1st Feb 2010, 06:31
If the airline goes bust [without ATOL], the credit card companies [insurance] would refund the customer if the amount paid is £100 or more, and not the CAA. Section 75 Consumer Protection Act refers.:{

parkfell
1st Feb 2010, 07:10
The proof of the pudding, as they say, will be in the eating.

I think an acid test here will be if the January salaries are paid in full. It is always the staff who suffer the most when airlines go bust. Not gentle wind down; just a sudden stop.:ugh:

No doubt word will filter out in the not too distant future.

HWY4A
1st Feb 2010, 08:54
TechRecords,

The BAE contract has gone The newspaper contracts are being touted and the Welsh PSO finishes shortly.

That's a really helpful post for all HWY employees. The BAe contract has not 'gone' (BAe's own internal booking system is taking bookings for flights), the newspaper contracts are running as per normal and have been without any disruption, and the you're right that the Welsh PSO does end shortly as it was up for tender. Only 1 airline submitted a tender (guess who?), and the result will be known within the next 3 weeks.

I realise this is a rumour network, but writing complete tosh like that doesn't help anyone, least of all the 100 odd staff, all in danger of losing their jobs.

airscooter
1st Feb 2010, 11:35
Well said HWY4A, there are to many idiots sitting back and scanning these pages looking for problems , I for one am sick of this current situation the Aerospace industry finds itself in. We see billions being passed to Banks – Millions pumped into the automotive industry and quite rightly – but what about the Aerospace industry??? What has the government provided in the way of assistance and support? How pathetic to see a company go under and thousands forced onto the dole at the tax payer’s expense when a support loan could save the situation, yes there are companies run badly but in some cases we have sat back and seen good British airlines go to the wall. Enough is enough I for one believe Highland should be the turning point, no more roumer mongering no more B***sh**, its time the government said how can we help, and to hell with EU rules.

NorthSouth
1st Feb 2010, 12:52
airscooter: You only need to look back through this thread to see that Highland Airways probably wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't for public money. Granted, most of that is in the form of contracts for the provision of services, rather than handing over taxpayer's cash just to keep the airline afloat, but don't forget there was also public support for the management buy-out. But I can't think of another airline which is so dependent on public sources of revenue.
And no, that doesn't mean I think Highland should fail; just that we need to be a little less emotional about who should be responsible for its commercial performance.
NS

machone
1st Feb 2010, 14:09
The problem is the management. It always is,always will be. Changing things for the sake of change does not help anyone ( just peoples egos in the short term). the company took over contracts that ran on rails generated good cash flow and income. Now they look like they have nothing. People whose income should be protected by the contracts are having salaries not paid.
If this goes wrong there should be a lot of questions asked in ceratain circles!

fredtheanorak
1st Feb 2010, 15:54
i cant book my summer flights on HWY so why is there this stupid claim that on line booking is restored. :confused:Discussions are not new cash and it looks like no bookings will be allowed beyond February without new cash. CAA wont allow it and credit card companys are not stupid:\

CaptainCurmudgeon
1st Feb 2010, 16:22
Bang on "machone".

:ok:

HWY4A
1st Feb 2010, 18:05
Well said Machone. Hopefully, any takeover will include the proviso of a very large broom

plaincrazy
1st Feb 2010, 21:24
Fred,

You wont be able to book summer flights yet as the tender is up on the route and its not been confirmed yet who will be operating it.

runway30
15th Feb 2010, 15:38
It has been reported that the financial restructuring is imminent. Does anyone know any more?

jetstreamtechrecords
16th Feb 2010, 14:46
It was imminent 4 :mad:weeks ago. Warton has gone and still cant book any travel beyond end of the month. Newspapers to go next:bored:

clear prop!!!
16th Feb 2010, 15:04
The latest press speculation...

Troubled Highland Airways set to announce rescue package - Scotland on Sunday (http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business/Troubled-Highland-Airways-set-to.6070414.jp)

As to the logic behind Air Charter Scotland:confused:...I'm sure there's a plan!

NorthSouth
16th Feb 2010, 16:24
part-owned by HIE and Scottish EnterpriseNow that I didn't know. So this is already (before the "refinancing package") another taxpayer bail-out while billing itself just like RBS and all the rest as being a cutting edge entrepreneurial company.

Why not just go the whole hog and nationalise it? You could call it, let me see, British European Airways? Maybe they could pick up a few Viscounts for old times sake.

If Air Charter Scotland's involved, look out for pilots being expected to work for no pay.

NS

Bus429
16th Feb 2010, 16:49
You want to try being a bit more positive, NorthSouth...

sk8erboi
16th Feb 2010, 19:17
You seem terribly high on your horse NS. You seem to dislike Highland intensely. Why? Do you perceive them to be the only ones receiving public money to provide services? Loganair? Eastern in Wick? And thats only Scotland. And Logan received plenty of subsidies over the years through various buy outs and debt write-offs, we haven't always been in the decent state we are in right now, and probably wouldn't exist were it not for subsidy and assistance.

A few real :mad:heads here. Would be interesting to see how the would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. And let's face it Mr Jetstreamtechrecords you could have easily been were it not for SCS saving you. You really are an unpleasant individual, rubbing your hands together in glee at 120 people staring down the barrel of unemployment. And as for your forecast of a suspended AOC - where is that then?!!!!!:mad::mad::\

Good luck to all at HWY, things seem to be on a positive foot now. I believe you have nearly been paid a full salary for Jan, and will be by Friday fingers crossed. :ok: Hopefully it will all work out.

scr1
18th Feb 2010, 16:29
looking hopefull?

BBC News - Airline 'cautiously optimistic' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8522244.stm)

runway30
18th Feb 2010, 21:03
Is the purchaser Air Charter Scotland?

mad_jock
19th Feb 2010, 12:20
Well it seems like the down sizing has been starting lots of jetstream crews have been made redundant.

The apparent glee by some posters about Highlands current situation I don't think is really aimed at the rank and file company employee's.

Its purely aimed at 2-3 people who were the route cause of the change of managment style at Highland and ultimately the situation they are in now. They still haven't learned apparently that respect from employees is earned not a right of a job title. And since the problem managers are now generally refered to as the "toddler" and the "dog god" I don't think any respect has been earned recently.

The posters that have personal issues with the way that they were treated, just bear in mind that the continuation and success of Highland without the current managment will be a far better vindication that you were right and they were wrong. It never was a problem with the "staffs" attitude it was purely down to them being in a job that they wern't competent or mature enough to do.

I wish Kevin and all the rest every success in the future and the post holders that a refusing to move into different roles out of self interest. Do the decent thing and for once in the last 3 years admit that your wrong and let highland move on and develope under new managment. Are you really that pig headed and selfish that you would put 100 plus staff out of work just for 2-3 peoples gain?

O aye its a strong rumour about ACS

But as personal opinion now that Finland and Warton are gone and they are down sizing crewing levels. Only one plane is away at a remote base so most of the hour plus positioning flight when things are tech will have stopped. The complexity of coordinating plane swaps and fire fighting issues will be greatly reduced allowing ops to maybe even get ahead of the game. No paying an extra 3k a month to have out of base crew postioned south. The reduced number of aircraft will allow the engineers to get on top of the aircraft maint and do the quality job that they always wanted to do. Hopefully they will be able to repair the relationship with the oil folk in Aberdeen to start getting charter work for the J41 and any spare J31's.

Change the post holders and Highland could rise from the ashes. But this isn't much help for the people who have been made redundant so far. Fingers crossed that in 6 months time things will require them to be taken on again.

All the best to the rank and file of Highland.

silverknapper
10th Mar 2010, 14:40
Mad_jock

You almost sound like someone who worked for Highland for years, including back when it was a wee outfit. Not someone who worked there on and off for a wee while and who had well publicised personal issues with some of the management:ok:

jabba the c
12th Mar 2010, 09:40
Highland airline lays out its cash problems - Press & Journal (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1643464)

mad_jock
12th Mar 2010, 17:51
yep your right off and on since 2003. It was pre the latest Warton contract I don't know if you would class that as wee. 2003 I was in ops while I was working as a FI in the old sharky days.

And I throughly enjoyed my last stint at Highland as a contractor. It was a good setup where I was working thanks to all your hard work setting it up. Just like the old days. Good crew, cracking team spirit.

Highland Airways (Inverness) was nearly £411,000 in the red in 2008, while turnover in the year was just over £10.5million.

It had made profits of more than £383,000 in 2007 on turnover of £8.1million.

Says it all really about the changes in 2008.

edinv
25th Mar 2010, 09:26
In Administration with immediate effect. (info from BBC Scotland News) - My sympathy to the staff involved if this news is correct

sam1993
25th Mar 2010, 10:45
The news seems to be true:

Highland Airways Administration (http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/cgi-bin/airkiosk/I7/181002i?HWY=2&LANG=EN)

Best wishes to all the staff at Highland Airways!

G-AWZK
25th Mar 2010, 11:14
Sadly the news is true and the issue of Scottish aviation is likely to be the subject of First Ministers Questions in the Scottish Parliament today.

thoughts and sympathy to the staff at Highland.

planenut321
25th Mar 2010, 13:30
HIGHLAND AIRWAYS LIMITED (IN ADMINISTRATION)

J B Cartwright and G D Frost have been appointed as Joint Administrators of Highland Airways Limited and Highland Airways (Inverness) Limited to manage its affairs, business and property as its agents. J B Cartwright and G D Frost are licensed in the United Kingdom to act as insolvency practitioners by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. The companies entered into Administration on 24 March 2010, having suffered ongoing liquidity issues.
Unfortunately, the Joint Administrators have been unable to continue trading the companies and therefore all flights operated by Highland Airways Limited have been cancelled and the aircraft grounded.

Hansard
3rd Apr 2010, 17:40
Sad to see Highland go. Who's operating the Welsh flights and the newspaper runs in the interim period?

Welshtraveller
3rd Apr 2010, 17:58
No one is operating the Cardiff to Anglesey route at the moment but the Welsh Assembly hopes another airline will take over the route after Easter. An announcement should be made shortly.

mathers_wales_uk
3rd Apr 2010, 18:04
Is there any news on when the aircraft will be moved? I am suprised that G-UIST is still at Cardiff