PDA

View Full Version : bmi longhaul @ MAN & bmi @ LHR

theunknown
16th Aug 2001, 22:36
Typical roster, number of nights downroute, hotel quality, allowances, more routes...whats it like there?

Also pretty much the same questions above directed at bmi LHR base...with the addition of..can you request min/max nightstops and how long do maximum nightstop trips last?

Thanks!

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: theunknown ]

euroboy
17th Aug 2001, 19:37
I was with BM from 1988-1998. Things may have changed but looking back I found it a negative company. Management always looking to fault rather than praise.
I hear the flight pay has gone up from the £1.07 per hr when I left, so some what more decent.

Crews work very hard. LHR cabin crew usual 4 or 5 sector days.
What I hear of the long haul crews will operate a mix flying duties in the next few months.
Good concessions and pension if you manage to stay.
LHR crews get London weighting.
High cabin crew turn over.

Believe B.Med, BA, GB are recuiting.

j2000
17th Aug 2001, 20:31
I've heard from a relible source that the ORD & IAD flight at BMI are organized chaos.....due to the fact that the crew have, in there opinion not recieved adequate training for delivering a long haul product, and seem to still think that they are on a MAN shuttle.
The product is supposed to be very good though with good quality equipment etc.
I don't know where they stay in ORD or IAD, but they are both great cities so if they are down town it should be enjoyable.
I currently fly with lots of ex BMI crew and they say that it is a good airline to work for and most of the crew are very nice.

MinimumRest
17th Aug 2001, 21:28
The flight pay is, I believe, 1.15 for domestic and 1.70 ish for International, and the basic salary about 9000 (I have no pound sign, sorry) You won't get onto long haul for a very long time - 12 months with no experience, 6 months with, but then there's a huge waiting list of crew waiting to transfer fleet. All flights are bullets, MAN short haul crew spend most of their time doing Airtours charters.
Try the other companies that EuroBoy suggested first, and KLM/Buzz if you're near STN. Unfortunately, bmi has a :( eftect on most of it's staff.

euroboy
18th Aug 2001, 17:13
j2000 with the greatest respect I have to ask this question.

If BMI is such a good airline to work for why is it that they are now ex BMI crew?

The crews are nice and that is what makes BMI, however, as they reach that giddy height of Management they change and boy have I experienced some of that!

I did some 10 years there LHR and BHX based, since leaving I have worked for two other airlines- believe me I was/am treated 1000 times better than at BM.

deepvainpain
20th Aug 2001, 14:34
I did a brief stint at Midland in between working for Britannia and Virgin, and I have to say I would never go back. I was based at EMA and was bored out of my mind plus the money was crap. My house mate still works for them and has recently transfered to MAN to do longhaul. All i can say is that she is not overly happy. Its true that there longhaul product is good and also true that at the moment it is organised chaos, but this will improve when they have got used to what they are doing. This is not the major problem though, she has got her rosta for this month and has only been rosterd one flight and three solid weeks of stby, how crap. There is also the fact that they have been put in hotels down route that are miles outside of both Chicago and Washington. She comes home most of the time having done nothing, where is the fun in that. The point of flying longhaul is that you atually get to see something of the places that you fly to. Apparently they are looking into moving them.
She is thinking of staying with them however as their route network is supposed to be expanding soon to include flights to Canada and possibly Hong Kong. We will have to wait and see though as so far they have feed them loads of crap to get them to do longhaul, she is not earning nearly as much as she was told she would. If I were you I would steer clear of bmi and go somewhere else. I had mush more of a laugh flying charter than workin for Midland!!!!

Cynthia Strapin
21st Aug 2001, 21:25
I'm with Euroboy on this one. (Ain't that the truth, my friend!)

Flew for BM for while in the e/m 90's and the day I hear of someone who was genuinely happy I suspect there'll be plenty of skiing going on in Beelzebub's pad..

As for the chaos thing..nothing changes then.

** heavy sigh **
:p

euroboy
21st Aug 2001, 23:52
The hotels they stay in are all good, but they are ALL in the airport area, never in town. In europe n/s Bed only and on Domestic n/s Bed and Breakfast (or it use to be).

Please believe me regarding my postings and bmi, looking back (never do) I was never so unhappy. There was a cow of an FSM at one base I was at, bulling comes to mind, now at MAN doing long haul.

Cynthia Strapin
22nd Aug 2001, 15:51
I believe you!! I believe you!!!

Been there, done that, probably know the "cow" very well myself. (Practically had my own seat in the office!!!)

Keep smiling..all better now!

:)

MinimumRest
24th Aug 2001, 22:15
Deepvainpain are you who I think you are? If so Ive not seen you since BY! Intrigued??? :D :D :D