PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Airways Thread Closure????

Crash Barrier
28th Jun 2001, 14:08
Why on earth has this thread been closed???
I thought this forum was all about free speech and discussion. Sick Squid why do you feel it necessary to do this?? What kind of legal action could be taken against a forum that is only discussing a past matter, such as a new start up airline that never was??
Squid, are you a personal friend of whoever was resposible for Freedom Airways?

Surely if someone is going around and ripping people off then it is worthy of discussion.
Squid, you are too quick to judge! The thread didn't exactly contain names or swear words now did it!!!!!!!

SussexPSR
28th Jun 2001, 14:27
Sick Squid is quite correct....I shouldn't have named names, although I have to say that when the original posts were up a few months back the name & the airlines remained posted.
Whilst the guy in question has not been cabin crew for the last 5 yrs or so (from my knowledge...) I felt it necessary to name him as newer c/crew may not be familiar with his antics as he has ripped off several airlines & many nore c/crew colleagues in his time.

Sick Squid
28th Jun 2001, 22:37
There were 2 reasons why I closed that thread... the first is simple, and Sussex Purser agrees I see... you DO NOT NAME NAMES IN HERE. Particularly attached to accusations of criminal behaviour, as was the case with the post in question. How many times do I have to remind people of that? Rogue or Prince/ess doesn't matter, don't name them .

The second reason I closed it rather than edit and explain my reasons in another post is more pragmatic, and was the simple fact that I had to deal with a post naming names at 7;00am on the day of my final exam on a new Aircraft type, to be followed by a licence medical, and only had 10 minutes to spare before hitting the M25. Sorry, but I chose thread closure as the simplest way to deal with that, hoping I'd be back home before the "You are stealing my freedom of speech, " threads started. I wasn't.

Let me nip that "Freedom of Speech" one in the bud. PPRuNe is a moderated bulletin board; when we ALL signed up to become members we agreed to certain things, and to keep our posts within certain broadly defined boundaries. When posts transcend a boundary it is up to us moderators (who are punters like yourselves, only we have gone over to the Dark Side) to act. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we get it wrong, sometimes our tone is misunderstood; what exists here is free speech within those defined criteria, and that post didn't meet the criteria.

No he is not a friend of mine, I have never even heard of him. I have never heard of you either, but if someone accused you of what he was just accused of in writing up here on the internet for all to see, then your name would be off the post and an edit or a closure on it faster than a scalded Whippet chasing a rat up a drainpipe. Good guy or bad guy, it doesn't matter. Unsubstantiated allegations will go straight into the ether unless the accusers provide the bulletin board owners with indemnity, and a copy of their name and address.

Now I know that this is not always going to be popular, particularly when bonafide rogues are involved, but that is my job; it is not a popularity contest, and I will piss some people off with my actions sometimes. However, like all the moderators here I am more than open to criticism (Developmental Feedback, I believe we are taught to call it these days, certainly at my place of work ;) ) If you feel something could have been handled better, tell us.... we aim to please within the constraints of being human, after all!

(Passed the exam, and the Class One as well, so in a good mood, and heading for the Vino Rosso for the first time in a month...!)

Phew.... :)

Sick Squid
Cabin Crew Forum Moderator

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 28 June 2001).]