PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances SAA?

oerlikon
31st Oct 2007, 22:37
It seems to me that SAA have fallen on hard times. The government, in its unfathonable wisdom are making the wrong decisions with regard to the future of the airline.

Is there any way the the employees of the airline can buy the government out to run the company as a profitable concern?

Avi8tor
1st Nov 2007, 03:55
Now your talking!!! Make the staff the shareholders. SAA's only future is OUT of state hands.

reptile
1st Nov 2007, 05:16
I believe the employees who've been left with the responsibility to run the company to date have convincingly demonstrated their inability to do so.

SAA's woes are not to be blamed on the government, but on management themselves.

ERASER
1st Nov 2007, 05:34
Avi8tor "Make the staff the shareholders"

I believe the staff were "shareholders" at one time. The shares were bought back by the company.............individual junior staff (excluding pilots) had no option in the last round as according to the unions and management, majority junior staff gave the go-ahead for this transaction........SAA bought back the last 1/3 portion shares for a total, mind blowing +- R130.00 per staff member.........

E

Avi8tor
1st Nov 2007, 17:53
Naw, not just a few shares, the whole airline. Wonder why our SAA friends aren't all over this one? Put in proper management, no more government interference.

Oh, wait, what would they do without the tax payer?

fluffyfan
1st Nov 2007, 21:09
F:mad: AV for once we agree.........yes The pilots would love to buy SAA out and I think it was suggested at one stage by the union.

Ask yourself honestly what are the chances.....SAA is seen as a "strategic asset"........Alec Erwin's words, we are the flag waving ANC employing provider of jobs to thousands of people, what self respecting African county would be without an Airline..........Please....I ask with tears in my eyes, how would the ANC move around the country.......a private SAA, Ha.....not likley

thincatblue
1st Nov 2007, 21:32
Agreed Fluff, it was suggested but turned down by his masters voice!

Can you imagine that if SAA was successfully privately run by competend people and not just of the "right colour" or connections, the goverment would actually have to admit that these policies are not working? actually admit to wrong doing or failure - never! :ugh: Eish -the culture of "no blame"

Avi8tor
2nd Nov 2007, 03:48
The seven subsidiaries are the passenger airline, SA Technical, Voyager, airport operations, Mango, SA Cargo and SA Travel Centre. They will be independent subsidiaries, operating as profit centres and will have their own corporate functions.
profit centres = cost centres. I love the spin.

Tech, Airport Ops, Mango, Cargo and Travel centre could all be sold off separately. Not sure what you would do with Voyager, but it could wash its own face I suppose.

That leaves the PAX fleet. Get it off the 'golden triangle' and all it's lose making international routes. Let it focus on Africa regional where it can charge what it likes. Then sell that off too. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

I agree, the only way any of that could happen is if it was done as a huge BEE venture, with ANC cronies as the shareholders.

Oom Kaspaas
2nd Nov 2007, 08:06
Hell will freeze over before any of the black unions or the ANC would allow a SAAPA buyout. JH said as much at the last feed back.

Avi8tor
2nd Nov 2007, 16:22
No, not a SAAPA buy out, ALL the staff, tea lady to CEO, then EVERYBODY has a vested interest. That would be real black empowerment.

oerlikon
17th Nov 2007, 22:47
That was what I meant.