PDA

View Full Version : Another Windows oddity?

frostbite
31st Oct 2007, 21:00
My desktop has six USB ports, 2 front, 4 rear, all designated as USB2.0.

Because the rear ones are inconvenient and because I'm lazy I've put a 4-way hub in one of the front ones. Nearly every time I connect anything there's a message telling me that I will do better connecting to a 2.0 port.

The list of ports then presented totals 8, so obviously including the hub, which is rated 2.0.

Something else to just live with?

unclenelli
31st Oct 2007, 21:20
Your hub is USB 1.1

frostbite
31st Oct 2007, 22:28
No, as I said, the hub is rated 2.0.

BOAC
31st Oct 2007, 22:43
Should that not be 9 ports?

bnt
31st Oct 2007, 23:01
I've had this kind of setup before, and it worked as USB2... but it was only temporary. I won't put a USB2 disk behind a hub if it can be avoided - why put an extra device in the chain if you don't have to?

Saab Dastard
31st Oct 2007, 23:52
Is the hub powered independently or via the USB port it's plugged into?

SD

reynoldsno1
1st Nov 2007, 00:13
I have a Seagate external HDD, and the installation requires it to be connected to the rear USB ports ONLY - all my ports are 2.0, but perhaps some are more equal then others....

Bushfiva
1st Nov 2007, 01:37
rear USB ports ONLY

Physically, the rear ports tend to be sat on the motherboard and so are known to be 2.0-compliant. The front ports are generally connected to the motherboard header by wiring which can sometimes fall out of spec.

Seagate specifies "rear ports" because on some older systems the front ports are 1.1 and the customer doesn't realise this, and on some systems they're 2.0 but cause problems with fast devices (see above). Finally, on some motherboards only the rear ports are root hubs, so anything sensitive to not being connected to a root hub will have problems with the front ports anyway. Finally finally, since the rear ports are root hubs, they are not sharing bandwidth so the external drive can perform as advertised.

reynoldsno1
1st Nov 2007, 03:20
Tks for that Bf - now I know....:ok:

Saab Dastard
1st Nov 2007, 09:39
I have one of these 2-port USB extenders to present 2 of the the 4 rear USB ports to the front:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=36804&doy=1m11#overview

It works fine with USB 2 devices (hard disks & removable storage devices).

SD

frostbite
1st Nov 2007, 12:44
Thanks for all the replies.

The hub is powered from the USB port (front) and it sounds as if moving it to the rear port might produce better results.

Certainly plenty of useful info there to consider.

Saab Dastard
1st Nov 2007, 13:14
The hub is powered from the USB port

That can often be the problem, as the one port has to power all the devices on the hub, resulting in insufficient voltage to devices. USB devices are sensitive to the voltage available when they negotiate with the port at start. A powered hub might cure the problem, but extending the ports from the rear is a sure-fire fix.

SD