PDA

View Full Version : CAA Jar class 1 medical to Faa Class 1

goosey23
31st Oct 2007, 12:11
I have my Jar Class 1 medical Certificate and was wandering if it was possible to convert this to the Faa class 1. Or will i need to go and take another medical? Any advice greatly appreciated.

TelBoy
31st Oct 2007, 12:38
From what I understand our friends at Gatwick will issue you an FAA Med at the same time as a JAA one. However if you already have your JAA medical I think you will have to sit the FAA exam.

You can get a list of all the FAA AME from the FAA website http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Remember that you will need form 8500-8, again you can do this online at https://medxpress.faa.gov/

For FAA medicals there is no initial like ours so all the examinations are to the same standard. You only need a class 1 for ATP, class 2 for CPL and class 3 for PPL. In fact there is little difference between the examinations, but class 1 does have higher eyesight requirements and ECG, expect a cost of about £150.

Hope this helps

IRISHPILOT
31st Oct 2007, 12:58
All the above is correct.
If you intend to fly in the US, I suggest that you do the medical there, as it is not more than USD100 and a quick affair.

cheers IP.

goosey23
31st Oct 2007, 15:54
Thankyou very much for the information.

docstone
18th Nov 2007, 14:09
Picking up in this thread, can one convert in reverse (Class 1 FAA to Class 1 CAA)?

TelBoy
18th Nov 2007, 19:18
I only wish you could convert an FAA class 1 to a CAA/JAA class one. The CAA/JAA rules do not take into consideration the FAA medical - just a piece of paper to them.

ICAO is a weird thing you know.

Down to reality, if you want a CAA class 1 medical, unless you have a class 1 from another mutually recognised FULL state JAA member you will need to do the initial at Gatwick.

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Dec 2007, 01:13
From what I understand our friends at Gatwick will issue you an FAA Med at the same time as a JAA one. However if you already have your JAA medical I think you will have to sit the FAA exam.

You can get a list of all the FAA AME from the FAA website http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Remember that you will need form 8500-8, again you can do this online at https://medxpress.faa.gov/

For FAA medicals there is no initial like ours so all the examinations are to the same standard. You only need a class 1 for ATP, class 2 for CPL and class 3 for PPL. In fact there is little difference between the examinations, but class 1 does have higher eyesight requirements and ECG, expect a cost of about £150.

Hope this helps

Couple of things.

I don't know if the CAA at Gatwick can issue FAA medicals.

You don't have to bring FAA form FAA 8500-8 to your FAA AME; he or she will give you one.

You only need an FAA Class 1 or 2 if you want to execute the privileges of an ATP or CPL; you do not need more than a class 3 for doing any flight test; even an ATP or CPL checkride can be done on a class 3.

Having said that there is little difference between the classes other than, as has been said correctly, some additional vision tests and an ECG for a class 1.

Costs vary between AMEs.

<---any advertisement appearing in this sidebox is there courtesy of PPRuNe and is not an endorsement by me for any product or service.

vintage
15th Dec 2007, 17:55
There is actually a difference in JAA and FAA medical. I passed recently for my JAA medical class 1 but failed on the same day mine FAA class medical 2 because of my blood pressure.
BP is not an issue for JAA but is one for FAA.
They gave me an change to send my BP numbers on a later date so I started to train and losing some weight trying to lower my BP a little.

RMarvin86
25th Jan 2008, 20:04
Down to reality, if you want a CAA class 1 medical, unless you have a class 1 from another mutually recognised FULL state JAA member you will need to do the initial at Gatwick.

Can someone tell me if It is essential to hold any license or is it enough to hold a JAA mutually recognised 1 class medical certificate to convert it into 1st class-UK.

In my case, I have a 1st class issued in Italy which is mutually recognised and I need a UK certificate. As I do not have any license yet, can I get the Uk certificate without examination or do I have to take the initial at gatwwick?
Any info is appreciated.

RM86