PDA

View Full Version : Cathay cadet selection stages?

Swush
31st Oct 2007, 09:04
Hi folks, I've done my initial test stage and I was wondering what the order is for the interview stages. I'd like to know what to prepare for! :confused:
Any help welcomed :ok:

DC-3
1st Nov 2007, 13:44
a quick search on this forum would reveal lots however ill save u the search this time...

1st stage: Initial testing (which uve done already), 1st interview: they'll just ask u some personal questions... like why do u want to be a pilot? If you get into the cadetship, what would u do? And some aviation technical questions and possibly questions about the company like what new aircraft went into service with CX recently???

2nd stage: Maths test, multiple choice but i wouldnt advise guessing since there are like 20 something possible answers to choose from

Group exercise, Flight planning exercise with another candidate and another interview, probably longer than the 1st interview incorporating personal and more technical questions

3rd stage: Panel interview and lunch

4th stage: 2 weeks flight grading at Flight Training Adelaide, Australia.

Hope that helps and good luck!

holdmetight
1st Nov 2007, 16:46
Nicholas,

if you are a local candidate, you can expect a selection process that can span 6 months, from initial test to flight grading.

overseas candidates go through exactly the same interview process as local candidates, but the process is accelerated. the entire selection process for an overseas candidate will last for around about 1 month, from initial test to management interview. flight grading is done along with flight graders from local interview batches.

hope that helps

benedictz
1st Nov 2007, 18:38
good to hear that, i booked my air-ticket for one month only, if really so lucky can pass to stage 4, the return ticket can throw away already.

:) :) :)

MidgetBoy
1st Nov 2007, 19:32
Yeah, I booked my hotel and ticket for one month. Flying Cx...
If I did make it to the flight grading section, would that be before or after Christmas?

holdmetight
2nd Nov 2007, 03:29
flight grading is done in several batches, forgot exactly what time. usually there are two batches per course, each batch going at a different time.

dates are usually april, june, august and september if my memory serves me right. welcome any corrections.

sgsslok
2nd Nov 2007, 07:27
You are correct, holdmetight.
However, CX plans to have 3 cadet courses next year. Therefore, instead of the usual four, so expect 2 more batches of flight grading somewhere between April and July.

benedictz
2nd Nov 2007, 10:11
So am I right to say the whole selection will not end on 28 Dec (one months from initial test), since the flight grading is starting only in April?

I always thought the timeframe for whole selection for overseas candidate is only 1-2 months inclusive of Flight grading as in if I failed any stages I can just packed my bag and go back. At Jan 2008, when I start my new job, then if I pass stage 1 to 3 I will have to come back again in April if I were to be selected for flight grading, then why not I postpone my interview to Jan/Feb just to fit? - Haha, just my thoughts, impossible to change anyway since I have confirmed the dates.

hmm... apply at the wrong time again...
holdmetight and sgsslok, thanks for the update....

:oh: :oh: :oh:

holdmetight
2nd Nov 2007, 11:12
there's no way the entire selection process can be finished by december 28th. you may possibly have finished all interviews by then but as far as flight grading is concerned, you will have to fly back to HK for the briefing, then jetting off to australia (at cathay's expense) to do the grading. return ticket is also on them, i believe.

sgsslok
2nd Nov 2007, 11:58
For initial test and 1st interview, you can expect pretty flexible scheduling since CX has enough applicants to do them a few times a week.

For 2nd interview, you would need 4 people, including yourself, who passed the first interview, for the group exercises.

The hard part to organize is the 3rd interview. There are usually between 6 to 12 applicants for that day, which all of them had to have passed the 2nd interview. There is less than 5% of the total applicants who make it to the 3rd interview, and getting all these people together on the same date is hard.

The good news is if you passed the 3rd interview, you could defer the flight grading until a time which is most convenient for you. There will be at least 4 batches, possibly 6, for next year, and you could choose anyone of them, given that you've passed the 3rd interview prior to the first batch.

CX covers your transportation between HKG and ADL for flight grading, but CX does not cover the airfare for you to go to HKG for any of the interviews.

Capiche?

benedictz
2nd Nov 2007, 15:28
in my opinion i should defer my first stage to Jan/Feb/Mar 2008 so as to coincide with April onwards, then i don't keep taking leave while on probation on my new job. Not working and running to and fro HKG can be quite taxing on me not only in terms of airfare but also accommodation unless they don't mind me setting up a tentage at the roof top in CX City for my stay.

:eek: :ok: :confused:

Thanks for all advice.

Swush
20th Nov 2007, 02:52
Thanks for the info on the timescale, folks. I did my initial test nearly a month ago and stilll no word, so I've gotta get used to being in the dark for the next 5-6 months :sad:

benedictz
21st Nov 2007, 04:53
let's hope stage 4 is somewhere in Jan 2008... if i made it that far...:}

MidgetBoy
21st Nov 2007, 06:25
Well, whether or not we get in it's still a great experience to go through an extensive process like that. However, quite expensive for us oversea students.
Plane tickets, hotel for a month, a new phone (or roaming), possibly internet, laptop (if you don't have one), not working for a month too.. all of which is worth it if we all get in.

benedictz
21st Nov 2007, 07:57
true also...

you can go public library to surf internet but only limited to two hrs.

sometimes luck play a part too, going back tomorrow, see you all guys soon.

benedictz
21st Nov 2007, 19:05
Yes, the key word in the whole paragragh is "IF",

Nicholas, you got it...

Try to spot the key word(s):

IMO, regardless whether you belong to overseas student or labour population, in accordance to microeconomic theory, there will always be high opportunity costs involved in attending. no gurantee or promise that you will get through even you study everythings pertaining to the syllabus just like meterology, anything can happen...

MidgetBoy
21st Nov 2007, 19:26
"gurantee" is the keyword.. it's spelled wrong.

benedictz
22nd Nov 2007, 00:12
:oh: purposely done such that it is easily spotted !

gtg... got a flight to catch...