PDA

View Full Version : CARGO out of CYYZ

hercdrivercanada
30th Oct 2007, 23:15
Working for the Canadian Military on a base near CYYZ, I am looking at Cathay for possible employment. As I do not know much about the airline at this point I was looking for some answers about how bases are assigned.
First of all do you have the option of freighter or pax if you are hired?
If so can your request a specific base?
If on freighters can you stay there for your whole career?
I understand you can only be employed in a country where you are legally enitiled to work. For me that would only be Canada as I only have citizenship here. Obviously I would prefer working out of CYYZ in this case.
Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

QTP
1st Nov 2007, 11:05
To answer your questions:

1) You can either be employed as a DEFO Freighter pilot on the 400F on a North American Basing, or

2) Be employed as a SO on a HK basing.

I take it you want to live near YYZ (understandable, I just moved there myself). I have a JFK basing on the 400F and intend to commute from YYZ to JFK. The roster is good enough that you won't have to commute a lot (about 18 days off/month). You can legally do this as a Canadian Citizen by getting a US C1/D Crew Visa. CX will sponsor this once you join and you do everything through the US consulate in HK. You could also ask for a ORD base which is just as close. After three years as a Freighter DEFO you can apply to transfer to the PAX fleet, and YYZ will be one of the first North American 777-300ER bases. Hope this helps......

Kenuck
29th Jan 2008, 16:37
Just to clarify...

1) the 18 days off/month - is that based out of YYZ or JFK?

2) where do you fly to from YYZ and how long are you away?

3) what is the time to upgrade at the moment?

Thanks

dragon501
30th Jan 2008, 03:33
Would be worth to do a SEARCH before you ask the obvious and especially before you go for interview.....