PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find an historical news item (friendly fire incident)

11K-AVML
30th Oct 2007, 22:55
Hi,
I mentioned to a colleague about a friendly fire incident I recalled sometime in the last 10 years that happened at a US Airbase (I think it was a USAF). Suffice to say my colleague said he wouldn't believe it until I produced some evidence.

Well I recall the incident was reported by the BBC and was on their website, but I'm struggling to find it again.

Can anyone please help?

Basically, the incident happened when a landing USAF aircraft was shot down when landing at a USAF base (located in the USA. I have a feeling it was in the midwest or south). It was supposed to have happened because the friend or foe identification equipment failed or was turned off.

I have tried to search for articles on this but I only seem to get results from recent incidents. Anybody recall any details about it that I could use a search term, e.g. Aircraft type involved?

Many thanks

PS. I'm not a journo.

Cpt_Pugwash
31st Oct 2007, 09:56
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Tornado shot down by a Patriot missile in Kuwait? Link here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2877349.stm).