PDA

View Full Version : Does the CofA renewal have to be in sync with an annual check?

hugh flung_dung
30th Oct 2007, 21:07
I've just sold an aircraft which (for some reason in the past) had the CofA and annual out of sync with each other. This hasn't been a problem for me but the new owner is being told that it's not allowed and that the CofA must be renewed at the same time as an Annual. In this case the CofA was renewed just before the sale at the same time as a 50 hour check - but the purchaser's maintenance people have grounded him.

Where are the rules written down? And which maintenance outfit is right?

HFD

ericferret
31st Oct 2007, 03:14
Section 6 of CAA LAMS A (CAP411) is fairly clear.

A star inspection is carried out coincident with the c of a renewal.
This consists of an annual inspection plus paperwork issues.

If your aircraft was a LAMS aircraft, then the purchasers maint org is correct.
If it had an operators own schedule then you need to see what it says within.

NutLoose
31st Oct 2007, 12:52
If the C of A and Annual was anticipated by up to 62 days and say for example the annual was completed on the 1st of Jan but the C Of A expiry was Mar 1st, then the CAA will issue a New Certificate dated from Mar 1st and NOT Jan 1st, the old one will remain in force till Mar 1st at which point you should return the expired cert and run on the new C of A cert from there on..... this would then throw the annual out from the C of A, but you would normally realign the annual and C of A at the next C of A..

so you could have a case of the C of A appearing to have been issued after a 50 hr as you are only seeing the later cert, though the C of A was indeed carried out with the annual......

This could be done again I suppose if the Annual and C of A was anticipated again with the C of A being carried out again early.

Also with the C of A going over to the EASA version and being done yearly they are now all over the shop......

Ask your maintenance company, they should be able to contact his company and clear it all up....

hugh flung_dung
31st Oct 2007, 16:37
Thanks guys, LAMS seems pretty explicit. The maintenance people have now talked and got things sorted out amicably.

HFD