PDA

View Full Version : Advice on moving up the ladder!!

HR200
30th Oct 2007, 09:59
Hi Guys,

I currently have a PPL with 95 hours and I hope to be reaching the 150hours on the next 12 months.

I would like people advice on what I should start to be doing now in terms of ground school, and when to get my night rating etc etc.

Is there a set path to reaching a Frozen ATPL, or is it just done in stages.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am confused by some of the other forums as I cannot find any way set in stone (so to speak) to say you should do this then, and then that etc.

Regards,

Andrew

Nozwaldo
30th Oct 2007, 10:42
Andrew,

I'm in a similar position with just a few more hours logged. I did ATPL groundschool by distance learning taking just about a year to complete it and finished in January. It does take about 15hrs/week to do the study, so impacts on free time if you do it this way. Obviously if you can do a full time course you'll be able to fit it in over the next 12 months while continuing hours building. On completion of all exams you'll have 36 months to gain CPL/IR for them to remain valid. As for the night rating, I don't think it really matters when you do it so long as you meet the criteria of 5hrs night (need to check this myself) before starting the CPL course. I'm doing mine next month as most schools only do this during the winter months ie Nov-March. Hope this helps.

Noz

EGCC4284
30th Oct 2007, 22:17
HR200

You can start a correspondence course now whilst you are hour building. As long as you have 150 hours just as you are about to start your CPL course, then that would be good timing.

I did my correspondence with Bristol Ground School.

I would also advise you to get your night rating done this winter as it was a problem for me trying to get mine done in the summer of 2005. Get it done as early as possible and then its out of the way.

By the time you have done this and the Bristol Ground School stuff followed by the exams, you will be 18 months down the line and not far off the 150 hours needed for you CPL course to commence.

If you are short of the 150 hours, you could use the last few hours fine tuning your flying in preparation for your CPL course.

Good luck

Rob