PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite 4600 Pro

frostbite
29th Oct 2007, 20:55
Recently bought one of these (well used), mainly for use as data terminal on amateur radio.

It's running W2000 pro and there's a lot of clutter at startup, so I went to Start>Run entered 'msconfig' and....... it doesn't have one! Is there a W2000 equivalent?

The other thing - the built in mouse alternative keys don't seem to be working (I don't have a manual), or is there a hotkey - anyone know?

gizmocat
30th Oct 2007, 08:07
Download the XP version from here (last link).
http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads.html

Jhieminga
30th Oct 2007, 11:49
The manual should be downloadable here: http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/download_manuals.jsp

I was always able to get Toshiba drivers and software through that site, might be worth a look. With the drivers you could just reinstall the whole laptop, it will probably run a lot better then.

frostbite
30th Oct 2007, 12:38
Thanks for those links.

Got the config.sys. I have already been to the other site but my model is not listed. Wondering whether any of the others offered have same/similar features?

It is rather slow and I would love to put XP on it but all the ones I have seen on eBay go for more than I spent on the machine!

Saab Dastard
30th Oct 2007, 13:36
frostbite,

On the Tosh site, you have to choose "archive" as the product type - you will then have no problem locating the manual.

Similarly for drivers.

SD

Saab Dastard
30th Oct 2007, 13:52
There are a few varieties of that model, from Celeron 750 to PIII 1GHz.

If you have more than the basic (128 MB) RAM, - i.e. 256 MB or more (max 512), you could run XP quite comfortably, even with the Celeron.

SD

frostbite
30th Oct 2007, 15:37
Many thanks for that SD!

Didn't even spot the archive option. It has 256mb RAM with a 700mHz PIII cpu and seems very slow, esp bootup/shutdown.

I've cleared a lot of HD clutter and defragged but without any great improvement in speed.

Saab Dastard
30th Oct 2007, 16:38
W2K was always MUCH slower to start up / shut down than XP.

Even with a clean rebuild W2K would be slow to start.

I run a PIII 600 desktop with XP, and it is more than acceptable.

The only downsides with these older laptop PCs tends to be the capacity and speed of the HD (which is easy enough to upgrade in a laptop) - and the graphics (which isn't).

SD