PDA

View Full Version : Prostate. Reading on red-line?

Loose rivets
29th Oct 2007, 06:48
Apart from a bad back, I've been pretty lucky healthwise...till now. I manage my own blood checks as best I can while in Texas, just cos of the cost, but now I have some serious decisions to make.

Peeing has been tedious for several years now, but not critical. Indeed not as bad as several of my contemporaries, however, my last blood check showed a PSA of 8.5, where the Reference is Zero - 4.0 NG / ML.

I realise that this can mean non-malignant or malignant disease of the prostate, but does anyone know if this reading is on red-line?

Hawk
29th Oct 2007, 07:35
Hello loose rivets. Thanks for your thread. I'm not sure what you mean about managing your own blood checks while in Texas because of the cost. :ouch:
What you are asking here is for members to comment on blood test results. Whilst general comments on any medical issue are welcome, its a fine line between general discussion and requesting a clinical opinion of test results.

There is of course, very qualified medical professionals and others with personal experience that may well chose to assist you. However, the Site requests opinions specific to TEST RESULTS be discussed off site and privately via your email addy.

Nevertheless, an important medical topic for general discussion.

Thank you
Medical Moderators.

Loose rivets
29th Oct 2007, 17:01
In the early hours of this morning, I did finally find a web page that wasn't trying to sell me medication. But to answer your first point, I recall a young chap from the NY area asking about a problem. He said that he hadn't much money, but the answers were mostly advising going to a doctor. I knew that he probably couldn't afford to -- unless it was life threatening for example.

Down here, a lady with a stomach upset was charged $14,000 for stabilizing her fever. Hence my determination to beat the system.

I was particularly interested in my uric acid readings etc., but I had the PSA done because of the aforementioned flow restriction. You will understand, that comparing with many others, rather than a few close friends, gives a much broader indication of what to expect with aging. The question really is, Am I very far outside the norm.

The web site was fairly drawn out, so I'll just give the link, but one of the vital bits of information was the trend rate. I haven't got time to read it again this AM, but from memory, about a third of a point a year increase is a serious factor --- if the patient has a malignant tumor.

My real quandary now is, what does that trend mean if there is no malignancy?

Since the higher figures tend to give rise to over investigation by biopsy, I'm going to wait until the next reading in about a year...unless other checks mean that I should move more quickly.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Detection/PSA

gingernut
29th Oct 2007, 22:36
It's slightly raised for a man of your age, (http://gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=610992195&linkID=27795&cook=yes) although, as you've already stated, it's not a definite indication of prostatic cancer.

In view of your urinary symptoms, you certainly need follow up- a DRE (digital rectal examination), would perhaps be a starting point for your clinician, followed up by a discussion of the options from thereon.

If all is well on examination, he/she may be happy to adopt a strategy of "watchful waiting," which could include a repeat psa test in a months time.