PDA

View Full Version : Airline "Managers" finally charged over crash

ratpoison
29th Oct 2007, 03:34
Interesting article regarding outcome of Cross Air crash a few years back. Unfortunately it took the lives of 24 people to get these pr**ks charged with inducing fatigue onto pilots.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/top_news/detail/Managers_charged_over_fatal_Crossair_crash.html?siteSect=106&sid=8357048&cKey=1193419089000&ty=st

Launch_code_Harry
29th Oct 2007, 04:22
Your link is broken, try this LINK (http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/social_affairs/detail/Managers_charged_over_fatal_Crossair_crash.html?siteSect=201&sid=8357048&rss=true&ty=st) instead.

ratpoison
29th Oct 2007, 06:51
Thanks Harry ;)

Roller Merlin
29th Oct 2007, 07:30
And note the timeline on the sidebar:

"November 24, 2001: A Crossair Jumbolino crashes on the final approach to Zurich airport killing 24 people. Nine passengers survive.

February 3, 2004: The Swiss Air Accident Investigation Bureau publishes its final report into the crash. Pilot error blamed, but Crossair and the Federal Office for Civil Aviation also come in for criticism.

March 1, 2004: Swiss calls on the Air Accident Investigation Bureau to re-examine the contents of the report.

March 10, 2004: Former Crossair boss André Dosé stands down from his current post as Swiss CEO amid an ongoing enquiry into the crash.

October 26, 2007: Federal Prosecutor's Office announces that 6 managers have been accused of negligent homicide and grievous bodily harm by negligence over the accident."

It appears on the face of it that some company managers knew of or condoned the fatiguing practices or "lack of training"...and they may be convicted of homicide as a result. I am sure many will watch this unfold with interest.

Just one aspect of the old adage relearned over and over: If you think safety is expensive, just try having an accident!!

mention1
29th Oct 2007, 08:12
The period just after 9/11 was rough on us all. For example, the Hazo stall at Bathurst happened after the crew were duty for a long long time with only a sandwich many hours before the incident.

While these managers should be strung up it should be noted that our CAO 48 states, " A pilot shall not fly and an operator shall not roster him or her to fly in excess..." so both parties have the responsibility.

What was the Captain doing :
... had been working more than 13 hours when the accident took place and had also exceeded maximum duty several times in the days preceding the crash.
unquote.

Christ if you're tired just stand down.:=

MR. PROACH
29th Oct 2007, 09:27
Having operated under different rules (US) I was very happy to see the clear cut duty and flight time limitations here in Oz.

I also speak as someone that allowed himself to be worked on several occasions for 24hr duty + and 16hrs of flight (and I realise there are many that have, and continue to do so) with a freight operation.

All within the regs. Company pressure, newly employed yada yada etc etc you know the obvious situation.

But a really bad idea? You betcha.

And it caught up with me in the end.

So, if any folks are reading this; yes you might be able to handle it. Yes, others might frequently get away with it. Have a 2 minute think about the possible consequences.

Jose Jimenez
30th Oct 2007, 07:07
Crossair pilots were threatened with termination if they didn't fly broken airplanes (which were not covered by the MEL), fly over maximum duty or flight times and/or fly without the required minimum rest.

If a complaint was ever made (of which many were) to the FOCA (Federal Office for Civil Aviation), it was never followed through. Crossair had FOCA inspectors actually flying as Captains at Crossair, for remuneration! Is that a conflict of interest, or what?

Just like in Hong Kong, the regulatory agencies are in bed with the airlines...