PDA

View Full Version : qantas cabincrew nightmare

tomcat 406
26th Feb 2001, 10:50
g,day
Im a wannabe who would love to work as a cabin crew member .Found out from qantas webb page there would be positions available in perth sydney and melbourne, great I thought so rang up western paper in perth on the 17 no add. Wait theres more. Called on monday, told theres a stuff up, try wednesday.Wait wednesday came ,called the number given ,robot said on phone sorry no more applications goodbye .Rang up western papers to find out when the add went in she said it went in on the wednesday not saturday spoke to someone else who said it definitly went in on saturday . There was no qantas number I could call to confirm so I am left completely in the dark.Thankyou charlie for the question you posed as it has answered all my questions but i would still be interseted in an address i could send my resume to as i cant get anyone to give me a contact address .Thanks cart_tart

TOGA_Party
26th Feb 2001, 12:31
Tomcat,
Can appreciate your frustration.

I was told that the phone line was only open from 0800 'til 0830 local time,and took about 2500 calls in that time.

I work in mineral exploration,and rarely get to see a newspaper and didn't find out about this recruitment until I saw it on the channel 10 news when I arrived home in Perth on Saturday.

Very disappointed that QF didn't make a little more effort to recruit more widely.
I already have international experience as a flight attendant with Emirates (a very good airline) and I've been hoping for this oppotunity to arise ever since I posted the question on this web site on the 8th of Jan last year.

Thems the breaks I guess!

TOGA_Party
26th Feb 2001, 12:38
Tomcat,
Forgot to say,keep your chin up there will a next time!

How's it Hanging
26th Feb 2001, 15:21
Just passing thought I'd drop in.
I had heard all of these upcoming positions were for casuals ie not same benefits as full time staff. Unless you really want international ops, why not apply to the QF regionals (not Airlink)? They all seem to be recruiting, full time positions, QF seniority from start, and eventually swap over if you want!

------------------
"to the left"

lara_croft
27th Feb 2001, 02:12
In Cabin Crew News (our internal newsletter)it said:

Qantas is currently recruiting to develop a shortlist of Casual Flight Attendants in Melbourne and Sydney. An advertisement was published in the Melbourne Age on 17th February 2001 and advertising in Sydney will take place in early March 2001. Qantas will also develop a Shortlist in Perth for future Longhaul vacancies.

An advertisement will be published in the West Australian on 21 February 2001. You can contact the employment hotline on 02 9691 3200 or the Qantas website at www.qantas.com.au (http://www.qantas.com.au) for more information and a list of criteria required for the position.

TOGA_Party
27th Feb 2001, 03:33
Lara Croft,
Haven't seen you in these forums for ages!
Was just wondering if recruitment for the Perth long haul positions,is being conducted from the Perth office or via the Sydney office? And if it is the Sydney office,is the postal address still 203 Coward st,Mascot....?

Kindest Regards
TOGA_P :)

charlie1
27th Feb 2001, 08:40
hi everyone, i am living in perth and i applied for the Qantas position. the add was supposed to be in the paper on saturday the 17th of Feb (the web site said that it would be advertised FROM the 17th) it actually appeared in the west australia on wed 21st feb. i went and got the paper early and waited until 8am until i rang. i was lucky enough to get an interview and it was held at the Qantas domestic terminal in Perth. the add said that they are looking for people to join their new international cabin crew base in Perth as international flight attendants. it also said further recruitment activity in eastern states will occur throughout 2001. i hope this clears up any questions you may have. i am not sure if the people who do well will be short listed or what. it is hard not to get swept up in the rumours. all i know is that i checked the Qantas web site on the 16th of feb and there was a note saying when they were going to be advertising on the 17th. the Qantas hot line had also changed to reflect this info. which surprised me because i used to ring the hotline every day and i thought it would never change!!

------------------
love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobodys watching

lara_croft
27th Feb 2001, 10:40
Hi TOGA...I usually read pprune but don't post very often. Not sure where they are conducting the interviews in Syd, but it seems that the Sydney based positions are only for shorthaul and they will all be casual (although this could always change) The Perth based positions are longhaul and probably either permanent or maybe fixed term contracts.

Anyway advertising in Syd should start any time, so ring the hotline number every day because they probably won't keep the lines open for very long.

Good luck !!!!!

Evacu8
28th Feb 2001, 19:22
Hey all, came into this one a bit late but...

All PER positions are full-time, permanent (no casuals/ fixed termers out of PER yet, and no talk of it ... but I'm sure casuals will happen eventually).

I've been told we will recruit again this year for PER base, and future Long Haul recruitment for SYD will be later this year. (But as with anything at QF, this can change).

It seems the internet site gets the ads first, then the recruitment line, then the papers..... so I'd be watching the internet site !!

Tomcat, you could send your resume into QF every day of the week for a year and they wouldnt look at it ;)

Qantas doesnt accept resume's, they'll send it back straight away. This might seem odd, but consider last year when we recruited, there was over 10,000 applicants.... there would have to be dedicated staff employed just to read resumes, and a dedicated storage hangar to keep them in if they kept them on file!!!

Good luck guys, hope to see you up there :)

Cart_tart
1st Mar 2001, 18:04
Thanks for the info Evacu8.
Will you keep us updated when you hear more?
Also do you have any tips for next time??
I went for a walk in interview & didn't get a second one. Do you think the fact that I'm already a F/A with a regional has anything to do with it?

Evacu8
2nd Mar 2001, 17:03
Ummm, I would probably try to have something for the next interview to show some sort of 'self-imporvement' (they love that sorta stuff !!) try a tafe course something like that so when they ask what you've done since the last interview, you can say "well I've done ..... to improve my chances".

No, I dont think flying regionally would have anything to do with it.... I have heard of at least 3 regional f/a's who have had call-backs for the assessment day, next month.

Good Luck :)

charlie1
3rd Mar 2001, 07:21
hi everyone, i was wondering if anybody knows how many people were interviewed at the Perth interviews,(for Qantas that is) how many people went through to the next stage and how many people they are looking for? i know this is a bit off the topic to begin with, i am just curious as to how the whole process works.

------------------
love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobodys watching

[This message has been edited by charlie1 (edited 03 March 2001).]

MissShagwell
3rd Mar 2001, 08:38
Hi All,

So who are the lucky ones who got a second interview??? I didnt http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif oh well better luck next time. I have heard that there are approximately 40 positions going - not many considering the number of people who applied. Also, the people I know who have second interviews have little or no experience - does experience count for anything these days??

Ciao,

Shaggy

galleygirl
5th Mar 2001, 05:02
Miss Shagwell

I attended the perth QF interviews and was successful through to the next interview, 27/3. I thought they were quite cut-throat, eliminating people without them having an opportunity to say a word about themselves. Next interview is group assessment, then another panel interview i think. I do have experience- 2years Gulf Air, but I dont think that really helps as I have been to a QF walk in before and was not successful. I think face to face customer service experience and a constant smile is most important as they dont want you to carry old habits from your ex employer. good luck in the future!