PDA

View Full Version : Aus PPL to US/Canada?

Mark1234
29th Oct 2007, 01:10
Have read a little about flying in JAR/UK ppl world, however, can anyone fill me in, or point me to information wrt flying on an aus ppl in US/Canada - both temporarily (likely holiday), and more long term - possible job relocation.

Thanks.

maggot
29th Oct 2007, 01:26
It's no problem at all for a PPL. just drop in to a FAA office with your credentials and viola! it takes about 5 minutes. CPLs + won't be so straight forward. It's an absolutely beautiful country to fly around, enjoy! :)

maggot
29th Oct 2007, 03:19
**** please note, my experience was pre war on everyone

RandyBandit
29th Oct 2007, 04:14
You will find all the information you need on flying in the US on the FAA website. In particular the Airmen Certification section:http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/

You can actually obtain your own US Private Pilot Certificate based on your CASA license. The process is outline at http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

You will need to nominate the location of the FAA Flight Standards District Office (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/) where you intend to apply for your U.S. certificate.

Once you have the forms filled out and nominated the most convenient FSDO, you send the forms and copies of your CASA licence/medical to the FAA. They verify all your credentials with CASA, send you written notification and forward a copy to the Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) you designated in your request. The verification is valid for 6 calendar months. You may apply for a U.S. certificate at the designated FSDO during that period. You then need to get yourself over to the nominated FSDO within 6 months and they fill you out a temporary airmen's certificate. About three months later you get the real certificate (Credit card style) in the mail. While ever your CASA licence and medical are valid, so is your US license.

Of course to actually fly in the US, you need to get to a flying school over there. Armed with your Airmen certificate they will check you out on their aircraft and decide whether to let you loose on your own in US airspace... I originally applied for an "ASEL" certificate (Airplane, Single Engine Land) to keep it simple. Once I got over there, they gave me Multi-engine on the spot based on my Aus license. So the whole process is remarkably easy going! :ok:

Hope this helps.

Mark1234
30th Oct 2007, 00:56
:) I was just about to say, surely it can't be that easy - I'd expect security checks etc....

Thanks for the response in any case; that would seem to suggest that the US is ICAO like here, and not JAA where I seem to have to re-sit all the theory exam / flight test req's?!

Regards.

Walrus 7
30th Oct 2007, 01:32
Mark1234,
I tried in 2002 to fly in the USA on my Aus PPL and was told it would take three weeks minumum due to the new raft of security checks. The FAA office in Singapore said that I couldn't even start the process through them before leaving Australia. Then, of course, I would have to go through a check flight with whoever I was going to hire the plane from. By that time, it would have been time to return home.
But, there's nothing to stop you flying dual, which is what I did from Fairfield County in Lancaster OH. The instructor knew what the deal was and just sat there and let me fly. The rates are cheaper over there than over here so the financial penalty is not quite the same. Make sure you take your licence, logbook and medical cert with you. And if you can, make the booking in advance.
And don't embarrass yourself by asking what the area frequency is ... I got laughed at.
Walrus

Mark1234
1st Nov 2007, 03:55
Somehow missed RandyBandit's post - thanks for the links, most helpful. If only it were that easy to do the same for my 'home' country!

RandyBandit
1st Nov 2007, 22:30
Mark1234

Checkout skyvector.com and airnav.com for flying in the US. They have all the Aviation charts and airport info (ERSA style) you need with a neat "right-click" flight planning facility.

RB