PDA

View Full Version : Basing and taxes

MidgetBoy
28th Oct 2007, 21:49
Is it possible to base in HK, own an apartment in HK, and have my days off in another city with Cx paying for the same amount of hotel days they normally would (excluding those extra days due to my day off)
So, it would be like, I fly to San Francisco, and they would normally pay for the hotel for that night and then you fly back, but instead I stay there for 3 nights (since thats where I get my days off) but they still only pay 1 night.
With that said, if that were possible, does that mean that if I were in San Fran for more than half of the year, I would have to pay USA taxes? Or no since I'm still based in HK.
(Yes, I know it's more expensive if I were to pay for a hotel constantly like that, but the taxes might make the difference) =P

I'm sorry if this makes no sense, I don't know much about this yet..

404 Titan
28th Oct 2007, 22:05
MidgetBoy

No the company won't do that. The closest thing that the company does is offer Temp Bases to cockpit crew. To get a temp base in SFO you would need to be on the B744 pax fleet as an SO, FO or Capt. SO's can only get two months per year and FO's/Capt's four months. You are responsible for your own accommodation and no allowances are paid. As for taxes, it is best you check with a US tax advisor as my knowledge of the US tax system is limited.

MidgetBoy
28th Oct 2007, 22:33
So you're saying if I were to base in HK and fly to SFO and back the next morning, I have to pay for the hotel myself?

404 Titan
29th Oct 2007, 00:43
Yes. Remember though that with a temp base you will be rostered out of say SFO so most of your days off will be in SFO not HKG during the temp base. You are responsible for all accom in SFO and no allowances are paid. Commuters and generally the ones that do most of the temp bases.

RedLiner
14th Nov 2007, 20:42
So what percentage of CX crews actually commute to HKG? Are they mainly US crews?

bell1st
15th Nov 2007, 12:43
Your preferred port must be in your base area; i.e. New York based preferred port San Fran. Paris based London preferred. Only port in the Hong Kong base area is Hong Kong. Guys do commute, but it's getting tough with the increased loads.

Sempre Volando
15th Nov 2007, 13:06
Starting with Cathay next year DEFO - what i'd like to know is what is the situation regarding tax when on the training course in Hong Kong?

Are there any directives coming out from CX regarding the on-shoring basis going ahead in April? Are Cathay registering country based companies, e.g CX USA, CX UK etc? Or is it all still a bit smoggy?

flamingmoe
18th Nov 2007, 20:52
Is it true that CX now have crew based in Adelaide since daily services were introduced?

MidgetBoy
18th Nov 2007, 21:36
what does DEFO and DESO stand for? Designated First Officer?

Harbour Dweller
18th Nov 2007, 22:42
what does DEFO and DESO stand for?

DEFO - Direct Entry First Officer
DESO - Direct Entry Second Officer

Is it true that CX now have crew based in Adelaide since daily services were introduced?

Yes. Very limited numbers however.

mmmbop
22nd Nov 2007, 05:29
On the Adel basing, what sort of flying do they do? Its not just HKG and back is it? Do they do EUROPE patterns and then end up back in Adel, going away for 10-12 days, or just short 3-4 day trips?

Cheers
M

ps just curious cos it sh1ts me that CX can base in BNE, SYD, MEL, ADEL and PER, and my dear little QF cant!!!!!