PDA

View Full Version : Bitten by Leopard?

TightSlot
28th Oct 2007, 19:59
Just thought I'd enquire how the upgrade went, for those of you who took the plunge and did the deed - or for those of you who didn't or won't... why not?

I did - upgraded 3 imac's and clean installed on the macbook yesterday. Stress free install and all humming along nicely! I may be the only person in the world to have been that lucky though...?

:)

lowerlobe
28th Oct 2007, 22:01
Tightslot...What are the main differences with the new Op system leopard?

cheers

ORAC
28th Oct 2007, 22:43
Upgraded an intel MacMini yesterday, went fine, though did seem to take a loooong time. Next thing is to upgrade my MacBook pro on Tuesaday when I get back to Paris... :ooh:

AppleMacster
29th Oct 2007, 15:50
All Leopard installations fine here: MacBook, PowerMac G5 and MacMini G4 (the iBook won't run it, sadly). All seemed to go fairly swiftly, around 30-40 minutes (I didn't install the "foreign" language sets). Have activated Time Machine on the G5 and the initial data transfer was 140Gb (!). We'll see how useful it proves. All three machines seem to work a little quicker (as per every other upgrade I've done on the Mac). The new "Quick Look" feature in the Finder is already invaluable for me, although I wish it was available as a right-click item. Ho-hum.

Only a couple of glitches: my company's rostering webpage won't work with Safari 3.0.4, yet worked fine with 3.0.3, and still works fine with Firefox. I suspect there will be an update in due course. The other problem was that it seemed to erase any knowledge of Aperture on the G5 having a serial number. This isn't a major problem as it's a kosher copy – it's just that we moved house last week and I can't find the original box and serial number!

AppleMacster

Background Noise
29th Oct 2007, 16:34
What about RAM - have you all upped it to 2 GB or not.

innuendo
29th Oct 2007, 16:43
Macrumors has a list of incompatabilities with Leapord here:
http://guides.macrumors.com/List%3AApplications_Not_Compatible_with_Leopard

I am having problems with Time Machine but it may be tied into the external hard drive I am trying to use.
The thing that I find annoying is the lack of a manual but that seems to be a problem with a lot of software. I suppose I will have to wait for the inevitable "Missing Manual" publication.

TightSlot
29th Oct 2007, 19:12
lowerlobe - take a look at http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=F6B20F11&fnode=home&nplm=MB021Z/A

Is the 2GB Ram a requirement, or a suggestion, or just a good idea?

Shaft109
30th Oct 2007, 17:10
Currently running OS 10.4.9 and no problems at all on an eMac G4 with 1Ghz, 1GB RAM, 40GB hard drive.

Is it worth upgrading?, as in will it run faster, be more secure etc?

Cheers

Wonderworld
31st Oct 2007, 04:36
Upgraded my iMac and MacBook the day Leopard was released in Sydney. No problems at all. :ok:

AppleMacster
31st Oct 2007, 22:22
Background Noise:

I've installed Leopard on three machines, the MacBook with 2Gb of RAM, the G5 with 3.5Gb and the G4 MacMini with only 512Mb! The MacMini appears to be running fine. The fan increases to a high flow when playing video, but the 'Mini is otherwise as happy as it was under 10.4.10. The 2Gb is I think a guide for getting the best out of Leopard, rather than an absolute minimum.

Applemacster

Argonautical
1st Nov 2007, 14:36
There are some serious implications if you work in a windows server environment because 10.5 doesn't support kerberos tickets. The Active Directory integration also doesn't seem to be as robust as Tiger's.

I have used it for a couple of days and I don't think it offers anything extra over Tiger so on the whole, I must ask Apple, why did you bother?

Saab Dastard
1st Nov 2007, 14:40
don't think it offers anything extra over Tiger so on the whole, I must ask Apple, why did you bother?

So, just like Vista then! :D :}

SD

ORAC
1st Nov 2007, 15:06
Lost my HP Photosmart printer. Reinstalled with the latest drivers but the wizard still doesn't work to set it up and I have to use work arounds to scan etc. :suspect:

tallsandwich
2nd Nov 2007, 14:08
Don't forget you loose support for the latest version of Java as soon as you make the Leopard choice.

-- Sorry, I couldn't help enjoying that post :}

Have mercy on me, Mods.

ORAC
2nd Nov 2007, 14:20
Also lost the ability to print to Adobe Acrobat. Seems it's a known incompatibility which Adobe will fix..... in January 2008. :suspect:

Clarence Oveur
2nd Nov 2007, 15:21
So, just like Vista then! :D :} Groovy, so OS X is just like Vista. Thanks for clearing that up. At some point the Appleonistas just makes you want to puke.

tallsandwich
2nd Nov 2007, 15:51
Hey, cheer up! At least now with Leopard there is a little more choice in the world.

If Apple users want a Blue Screen of Death they can now simply opt do the Leopard upgrade with a USB device plugged in (one that has not been blessed by Mr Jobs) and they get the same BSOD experience as the rest of us.

:ouch:

ORAC
2nd Nov 2007, 17:04
Ohhh, and it turns your firewall off (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7071017.stm) for you as well..... :suspect:

Senior Pilot
4th Nov 2007, 04:40
Lost my HP Photosmart printer. Reinstalled with the latest drivers but the wizard still doesn't work to set it up and I have to use work arounds to scan etc.

Also lost the ability to print to Adobe Acrobat. Seems it's a known incompatibility which Adobe will fix..... in January 2008

I have that problem any way, and I have yet to upgrade :confused: Did you have any issue before Leopard? (I have a 3310, by the way.)

ORAC
4th Nov 2007, 07:40
Nope, worked perfectly. Could even start a scan at the printer choosing Adobe and the MacBook would wake up with the software open. I have a Photosmart C6180 linked using the WiFi - no cable connection at all.

Background Noise
4th Nov 2007, 09:21
ORAC - are you talking about the current option to 'print to pdf' - that's one thing I wouldn't want to lose.

TightSlot
4th Nov 2007, 09:33
Print to .pdf seems to work fine for me.

Thought it was going too good to be true...At last, I've hit the buffers!!! My HP Printer Drivers won't install, and the printer is not available as a generic - so I'm stuffed until HP sort it out.

Actually (thread creep) this may not be a bad thing... I've done it before. Life (outside business life) without a printer is not only possible, but surprisingly manageable, and noticeably cheaper. If you don't agree, try it yourself - you may be surprised.

Senior Pilot
4th Nov 2007, 09:39
Now I am confused! ORAC, thanks, but I can only scan via HP's software, and Adobe Professional won't recognise any scanner. I've downloaded the latest instal from HP, but no further along the path of getting the 3310 recognised as a scanner.
Any tips, anyone?
TIA