PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic.....Help!!

chilledout
18th Jun 2001, 03:33
Hi everyone,

I've been flying for a large charter airline for 5 years. I have applied
to Virgin and have never succeeded (4 times). I applied to
BA and got in, but changed my mind.. I am about to apply to Virgin again,
any advice or tips would be great.

Tomb Raider
20th Jun 2001, 05:47
Chilled Out,
Why did you turn BA down? Did they only offer you EOG?In which case I can understand why if only want to do l/haul.(even some I've known on LHR Eurofleet have transferred to l/haul in less than a year)
Whilst I know that VS are a good airline,certainly from a pax point of view,the difference from a crew point of view is crucial.The pay and conditions at VS are inferior I'm afraid.
I can only relay thoughts from BA colleagues(all ex VS,now BA)who tell me they are now better off in all aspects of working life than they were.
Maybe you're only in it for the short term?Although 5 years at a charter airline suggests not?
I spent 7 years on charter before joining BA,and I can't tell you enough about the differences(positive)between the two.It really is a different world.I was ready to give up flying until I came to BA,now I'm happy again.It's just much better,basically.
I have friends who have tried for years to get BA,with no luck.I doubt they'll offer you again?
I would also worry that after 4 attempts with VS,maybe I wasn't the kind of person they are looking for?who knows?
Good luck to you in your future attempts,hope it turns out not to be a mistake(turning BA down I mean)
Best of luck t'ya

deepvainpain
20th Jun 2001, 17:17
Dont worry about it. It took me 3 attempts to get into Virgin and like you I had flown before for two other airlines. Its really hard to say what they are looking for as the interview is so bizarre. I actually spoke to one of our supervisors down route who worked in recruitment and she couldnt really give me much of a clue as to what they want. All she did say was that they look for people who show signs of leadership but dont take over. People who are considerate to others opinions. Confidence and politeness obviously, and your apperance matters. She did say that Virgin have a certain look, whatever that is supposed to mean. She told me that they have guidelines on certain commpetancie to look for and they will expect you to show them in both interviews. I know this is not much help, but like anywhere I think it all depends on who interviews you on the day. If it makes you feel better I didnt even get an interview the second time I applied. My housemate works for bmi and she cant get into Virgin either, shes applied 3 times and shes really good at her job. What I can say though is that it is worth it in the end. Ive been here a year now and I love it, much better than charter by far. People slag Virgin off alot saying the pay is crap and so on, but its not that bad. The pros certainly outway the cons.
Good luck at your interview, and if I can be of anymore help let me know. Crappy advice but just be yourself!