PDA

View Full Version : Cabi Crew-Pilot?

Rob 747
17th Jun 2001, 17:05
Hello all,
If i was to become a member of the cabin crew with an airline, would you say this would increase my chances of becoming a pilot with that airline??????????????????

Just wondering.......

AMEX
17th Jun 2001, 18:44
I would say it depends...
I worked for a Midland on the ground and applied for a Flight crew position with about 1200 hours TT. Didn't get an interview despite an ongoing recruitment.
Worked for BA as cabin Crew. Applied for a flight crew postion but was told I'd better resign, get some "real experience" and re-apply in two years.
Well that's what I did but I am not entirely sure I'll go back to BA (don't get me wrong, It is a great company to work for but I still have to make my mind about what and how I want things).
But,a year earlier BA ran an internal recruitment process for existing employee who had a F/ATPL. I met one or two persons who got it.
Different country different ways and it seems that continental company are more prone to recruit amongst their own staff. I suspect it is due to an existing legal requirement but I am not entirely sure.
A friend of mine worked as CC for the then called "Sabre". Although he was qualified, he did not get a job with them but during one of his flights, got to talk with the Captain who actually set him up for a 727 job. From 250 hours, he found himself LHS on a 72 in less than 4 days (But that's another story).
As you can see, there are many ways to achieve your goal so chose a path and stick with it. Go for Cabin crew only if you enjoy being with (Great!!) people and don't mind too much the occasional grumpy PAX (and they behave better in the air than on the ground ;) )not as a mean to succeed in your pilot career. I suppose you could look at it more like an experience building or a mind opening exercise, not always a bad idea :) .

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/MiscDancfrog.gif

------------------
If you can't save the engine...save the airframe :D
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/MiscDancfrog.gif

Charliebob2000
29th Jun 2001, 18:46
Hi Rob

Anything that gets, and keeps you in contact with active airline pilots and staff will be an advantage, as exampled in AMEX's reply above. (I think it's a great idea, but don't do it if you're not going to enjoy your work, you may end up doing yourself more harm than good, and you'll spend each flight just wishing that you were at the pointed end).

I tried going cabin crew myself, got a couple of interviews, but got droped immediately they found out about my flying qualifications. The recruitment teams are rightly sensitive about people using their profession as a stepping stone.

Going cabin or ground crew could be a huge advantage. It may not actually get you a job within the same company, but the people you'll meet, and the friends you make, may well be willing help you later.

Good luck...

CB.