PDA

View Full Version : AA divert after pax tries to open door

DONTTELLTHEPAX
28th Oct 2007, 12:36
American Airlines flight to Dallas diverted after woman tries to open emergency door
Sunday October 28, 2007 01:29:50 EDT

DALLAS, Oct 28, 2007 (AP Worldstream via COMTEX News Network) -- An American Airlines flight from Orlando, Florida, to Dallas-Fort Worth was diverted to Houston after a passenger tried to open an emergency door.
The passenger was unable to open the door and no one was injured in the incident Saturday night.

The passenger, a woman, was detained by local authorities in Houston, said Charley Wilson, a spokesman for Fort Worth-based American.
Flight 1585, carrying 176 passengers and six crew members, was diverted to Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport after the woman attempted to open an emergency door over one of the wings. She was subdued by the flight crew, Wilson said.

"The crew handled everything. There was no issue with safety whatsoever," Wilson said.

Passengers and crew members were interviewed in Houston. Six passengers got off the plane, since Houston was their destination, and the rest continued to Dallas-Fort Worth on the same plane.

nano404
29th Oct 2007, 16:55
Odd, they say she was screaming "I don't want to die!". I dont know how she figured an open door in mid air would help her.

lomapaseo
29th Oct 2007, 19:58
Well at least would have silenced her

Red Top Comanche
29th Oct 2007, 20:46
She would have been "Evacuated" in short order if she had suck-ceded.

Sorry.........:\

matt_hooks
29th Oct 2007, 21:00
Hmmm, differential pressure of about 6 psi, a door area of a few hundred square inches.

Who does she think she is? Geoff Capes?

Airbus Girl
29th Oct 2007, 21:45
I had a passenger who did that once, also a woman, saying the same thing. Perhaps its the same one!!! She was creating a bit of mayhem around her because all the other passengers who weren't really nervous suddenly were terrified she'd get the door open and they'd all be sucked out!

Ron & Edna Johns
29th Oct 2007, 23:21
For crying out loud, why not just cuff her, strap her into her seat and continue to the planned destination?

There, all sorted and everyone is where they want to be.

We really have become a bunch of paranoid, frightened cowards these days, haven't we?

barit1
30th Oct 2007, 00:12
They never did find this guy (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=13192&key=0)

lomapaseo
30th Oct 2007, 02:44
They never did find this guy

Nor the guy who got sucked out the DC10 window N60NA "Barbara"

marciovp
30th Oct 2007, 03:52
It is not possible to open an emergency exit in a pressurized plane at high altitude. Regardlerss of how hard anyone would try.

Ignition Override
30th Oct 2007, 05:16
R & E Johns has the best solution.

If the crew is Afraid to handcuff an out-of-control passenger with the 'Tuffcuffs' (unless she is rather petite), then have two large people who are not afraid sit next to her. What if the nutcase-one stormy day in the future-is a large man who is 6' 4" and resembles a NZ rugby player?
Sorry Johns-maybe like an Aussie rugby player....Will HE then be the boss and make the overall decisions?

You were lucky this time-had she known where the other cabin equ**^^#** is located- you might have been 'gonged' on the head with a round, solid, tubular, heavy piece of metal as you came out of a dark galley at 0400 local.

Young Crewmembers: don't forget, she is not only a bit psychotic but has also clearly broken both (US) FARs and (British) Air Nav. Orders- has she not?

How about inside a small CRJ flown by a 27 year-old Captain, a 22 year-old FO and a FA who is 20?

Green Guard
30th Oct 2007, 06:59
How about inside a small CRJ flown by a 27 year-old Captain, a 22 year-old FO and a FA who is 20?

And how about, and what about engaging few able bodied passangers. Diverting solves nothing. It only increases the problem.

toolowtoofast
30th Oct 2007, 07:51
They never did find this guy (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=13192&key=0)

that'll be out of the DC-3P?

A and C
30th Oct 2007, 09:03
Once in a wile these nutters try to open a door in flight, I would think that the best way to deal with it would be to leave them to it and offer a bottle of Champaine to the first passenger with the correct reason as to why the door will not open! (capt decision final).

This should lighten the atmosphere in the cabin sonewhat!

Wiggly Bob
30th Oct 2007, 13:00
Reading the above report linked to above, how do you "inadvertantly open" the door. Surely it's a deliberate action?? Not meant to be sarcastic just a question.

Check Airman
30th Oct 2007, 13:16
I laughed when I read it too. So silly; these people watch too much television. Seriously though, does anybody know if the handle would break first?

I like the comment about free drinks for the pax who tells everybody why the door won't open.:D

barit1
30th Oct 2007, 13:31
how do you "inadvertantly open" the door. Surely it's a deliberate action??

Report at the time was the CC thought the guy was looking for the loo, and picked the wrong door. :ugh:

AdAstraPerAspera
30th Oct 2007, 17:07
Nor the guy who got sucked out the DC10 window N60NA "Barbara"

Nor D.B. Cooper, for that matter! :ok:

AnotherRedWineThanks
30th Oct 2007, 19:52
Perhaps she just wanted to help the six people who wanted to go to Houston get there faster.

Blues&twos
30th Oct 2007, 20:13
My favourite bit

"...and the rest continued to Dallas-Fort Worth on the same plane"

Wo. The same plane eh? Brave souls indeed.....

sevenstrokeroll
31st Oct 2007, 09:05
One of the passengers who tried to subdue the "door opener" is facing charges...from the AIRLINE

yikes

mp413
30th Nov 2007, 06:43
This may seem silly but as a lowly pax with no understanding of how planes work I have always been shocked at how easy it appears to open the plane doors! Everytime I go to the loo and peek out the door's tiny window I can't believe no one is there protecting the lever from nut-jobs like the person in this case. I am glad to finally be told that it is not possible to open the doors in flight!!