PDA

View Full Version : British Regional

Trislander
16th Jun 2001, 23:56
Hi,

How can I apply for a cabin crew job based at Southampton with British Regional A L (now CitiExpress)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Tri

staff west
19th Jun 2001, 02:31
Go to Manx Airlines Web Site. www.manx-airlines.com. (http://www.manx-airlines.com.) Links to job opportunities there.

Cheers

Any more sardines for the can?

lastremainingpax
19th Jun 2001, 18:30
Squeeze em in, squeeze em in....

staff west
19th Jun 2001, 23:18
lastremainingpax

Any further rumours from across?

I've been away for ages I'm out of touch

any more sardines for the can?

FireDragon
19th Jun 2001, 23:32
Staff West

Have to say .. love the name, (and the sardines!)

FD

staff west
20th Jun 2001, 01:41
FD

Thanks for that.

See you on the 05.45 bus sometime

any more sardines for the can

lastremainingpax
21st Jun 2001, 19:18
The word in Viscount House is.....worry if you're on the ground...currently offering 6 months salary and a "Thanks it's been nice to have you on board.."

staff west
22nd Jun 2001, 01:55
lastremainingpax

Rumour today of big announcment tomorrow ref management and another that says all except engineering to move to MAN.

Any thoughts

lastremainingpax
22nd Jun 2001, 12:56
Decision for Senior Management today or the 27th. All going to MAN, then they choose their mortals.....but Engineering to stay put for now. Looks like The Rock is going skeleton...also a BA GM quote.."Yes the three legs will be replaced on the tails within the year...." Any other info?

Think it's safe to say the days of Norm and the Viscount are well and truly over....sniff sniff....

lastremainingpax
22nd Jun 2001, 17:21
News in this morning from VH is Chris F is off...no job for her. Any updates?

MinimumRest
24th Jun 2001, 02:00
Hey Staff West, is the Isle of Man address given on the Manx website the right one to contact about vacancies at MAN with British Regional?

Oh, and condolances about the bus, I'm lucky enough to have Area 7, great as my Crew Room is in T2 :)

PAXboy
24th Jun 2001, 16:50
I have been through IOM for the 20 years since my mother moved there. She lives in Castletown, under the Easterly approach, Westerly departure, so I get a good view whilst there!

I enjoy the service on Manx, no doubt about that! In fact, I am in IOM now!! I came up yesterday on ATP from LTN and a fine service from both flight and cabin crew.

Yes, I remember the Viscounts and was (by chance) on the first revenue flight of the 146 ex-LHR. I have done ATPs from LTN and the Shed from LPL ...

BUT all I want is for the cost to be lower!

I have been irritated that, since Airlines of GB sold to BRAL, that we have not even been able to earn FFMs!

Manx started their own scheme but only on full fare returns which I never use! But the prices are hideous. When my mother had to travel at short notice to see her ailing mother GBP300 was uncomfortable to say the least!

I appreciate that the cost of fees getting into LHR is punitive but there has to be a better way!

------------------
A window seat on the sunny side of the aircraft, please!

Crash Barrier
25th Jun 2001, 17:26
Pax Boy,

You could always go by boat or alternatively swim if you don't like the cost of the fare!

The trouble is you see that airlines have to make a small profit (however minute) so at the very least they can keep operating and paying their crews. I am sure that the spiralling cost of fuel has not helped matters.

Perhaps you could do it yourself, 6 grand or so for a decent Private Pilot's Licence, a few thousand on top of that for an I.R. Then you could fly yourself there and back. Rent out a shabby cessna for £70 an hour or so and heave ho across the water to Ronaldsway (don't forget lifejacket, ELT, liferaft, waterproof clothes)

Haaa Haaa Haaa

staff west
25th Jun 2001, 22:08
MinimumRest

Yes the addresss is the same for Manx and BRAL. Good Luck. Its not so bad at the coal face. There are lots of new starters though, but then we have new routes to do.

Yes the bus is a pain especially when you're late.

Lastremainingpax

The latest we have heard is that the Brymon crews will be helping us out in the near future and of course we will be helping them out. So some cross training is in the offing. Not to sure about the dash 8 though, a bit like the good old ATP with J41 seats. Bad news about Chris and Andy M. Its sad when anyone loses their job without good reason.
Another tale from the crew room is that TRPL and NB are going to buy up the green and white ones, Engineering and form Manx Airlines 2. How about that?

Anything futher from your side.

Any more sardines for the can

lastremainingpax
27th Jun 2001, 01:19
Apart from the tall ginger haired guy with the odd accent apparently getting the top HR job.....?? Somone PLEASE tell me that's a joke....

Oh and the IT guy also missed out on a seat at the top table....

As far as I'm aware AndyM hasn't lost out - yet. Something else in the pipeline for him maybe?? Depends how fast they move those goalposts again...

PAXboy
28th Jun 2001, 19:10
Dear Crash Barrier,

I have indeed been by boat and on the shorter LPL route. Like many others, I met the law of diminishing returns (Money/Time).

As a pax of 35 years and a self employed business man for 10, I am well aware of the need for the airline to make a profit. Thank you all the same for you help.

What interests me is that routes opened up to comeptition, such as LHR to EDI/GLA/MAN/CDG or indirect competition via LTN + STN etc. have all shown steady increases in traffic.

When I first flew to IOM some twenty years ago on the Viscount service, there were four rotations a day on LHR/IOM. Now there are three, with the fourth going into LTN.

Now consider the change in economic activity in the UK and the finance industry in the IOM in particular.

How curious that no one wants to take a serious hack at that potential. Although service has been started from IOM to STN and LCY, these are not heavily used routes and there is not, as far as I know, a service to LGW.

The IOM govt has just spent a load of dosh on a fancy new terminal building but do not seem able to get any one to make the investment and seek the prize of higher traffic. Meanwhile, BA can charge fabbo sums of money for a near as dammit monopoly service and in the case of LHR, it is a monopoly.

Pardon me if I was trying to have serious discussion.

[This message has been edited by PAXboy (edited 28 June 2001).]

Crash Barrier
28th Jun 2001, 19:20
well you see it's all a case of demand Paxboy. You see 20 or so years ago there were more pax wanting to go to the IOM on holiday on a viscount. These days they would (I am sure) rather spend their dosh getting on a jet bound for the med in 2-3 hrs, hence frequency being cut to places like the IOM. It's no use moaning about the issue, if all pax were like you there would be no profit, hence no airlines.

Oh, and if you have your own business have you never thought of getting a PPL. It's a pretty easy trip to the IOM in a single engine cessna, set the VOR to IOM, set the adf to 252 and listen to some fab pop tunes while your engine cuts out!!

lastremainingpax
28th Jun 2001, 19:56
When there were four flights a day to LHR the off peak one-way fare was £42.00....but this is 18 years on and the airline can no longer afford to 'carry' the lower end of the market pax on routes like LHR......and of course much cheaper to ops a Viscount than a 146......

In the words of the great Dylan - The times they are a changin'

staff west
29th Jun 2001, 00:37
lastremainingpax

We got the latest engineering management positions and found that DS(the wee rotund jock) is now not employed but the BA man is. Oh well, is it progress one asks? Out of the five positions 3 have been filled by BRAL guys. Mutterings of a BRAL take over by the BRS peeps.

More news is expected tomorrow.

lastremainingpax
29th Jun 2001, 01:32
staff west

Thanks for the info. I'd heard rumours that DS missed out. Have to say have mucho respect for DS. Couple of times he's kicked the right arses and got things right. How many more positions are left to fill, any idea?

PAXboy
29th Jun 2001, 18:34
Dear CB,

"If all pax were like you ..." then they would be doing not less that 30 sectors a year on business and pleasure. My diary tells me that, so far this year, I have already done 36 sectors of various lengths. In what way would that be bad for airline business?

The decline of IOM as a tourist destination is well known but the population of the island has doubled since the war and the next census results expect to show an increase of 10,000 over the last.

They market themselves as a low tax financial centre and many people make day trips as well as longer breaks. It is not all granny's or grand children on the flights.

------------------
A window seat on the sunny side of the aircraft, please!

staff west
30th Jun 2001, 00:39
lastremainingpax

Looks like all the middle positions have now been sorted. As per Network Express today.

How the troops are going to get on we shall all have to wait and see.

What's the view from the rock?

Looks like we may be OK but I have some friend across who may not be so lucky.

DS was a good guy in my book, he got me this job for a start and bought me several JD's when I stayed in the Mount.

any more sardines for the can?

lastremainingpax
30th Jun 2001, 13:25
staff west

Yeah noticed the middle positions - time will tell eh!

Still nervous in some places on the rock. Still a few uncertain of their future for another week or so.

Wonder what TRPL makes of all this.....

Crash Barrier
2nd Jul 2001, 11:57
Paxboy,

No one doubts that you are a well travelled Pax, I merely pointed out the reasons for the
'expensive' fare as you term it. I pointed out some options to you also, seriously if you have go the dosh do a PPL and fly yourself over there. Advantages are you can then go as you please, enjoy the flying and you will be shelling out about £180 at the most solo on a little cessna. The price of scheduled flights over there aint gonna change my friend, and tourism will not increase in my opinion.
As a pilot/crew member with 11 years experience and approx 8000 sectors on short and longhaul flights I reckon you should take heed.

staff west
2nd Jul 2001, 22:23
lastremainingpax

I bet TRPL is waiting in the wings with NB to see how it all pans out.

Have you seen the thread about BAR @ MAN. We were told that we would be getting RJ and 146 courses in the near future, which is interesting but we would prefer Boeings or Airbus.