PDA

View Full Version : Muthaiga Club / Beryl Markham

MR. PROACH
28th Oct 2007, 08:58
Couldn't stop myself - saw on the flying boat thread re: Muthaiga club.

I've read a lot about Beryl Markham and wondered if anyone had any stories/tales to tell.....I realise only a small amount of her life was about flying, but altogether, well, what an interesting character!

And now back to regular scheduled programming.......

skua
29th Oct 2007, 09:57
I too have read a lot about Beryl, and share your views. So sad that her last years were as they were. I have not been to the Muthaiga, but earlier this year I did stay at the Nairobi Club, and the East African Aero Club at Wilson airport. the latter is very atmospheric and does have a picture of Beryl on teh wall I seem to recall.

Skua

White Bear
29th Oct 2007, 20:13
I have often wished I had her innate navigational skills, not to mention her bravery! She has long been one of my heroines.
“West with the Night” is a beautifully written book, and is said to be one of the best auto-biography’s ever penned.

She was tall, slim, very well spoken and moved with a Panther like grace. Reading not always between the lines, there was no doubt she was a dedicated social climber, and a bit of digger too boot, so I’m not sure she would have found me socially acceptable, or rich enough for her tastes.:sad:
I think she saw flying as an adventure, and a way to meet and impress people. Horses were her first and longest love.
Regards,
White Bear.

MR. PROACH
1st Nov 2007, 09:10
West with the Night is truly a wonderful book - but a shame that she had a lot of help from her husband (one of a few)! In fact, if you have had the chance to read a few of her short stories, they are also wonderfully written. Again, with a great deal of help........

But, that all seemed to add to the womans mystique. Even today, so thanks Beryl.

Such a fascinating era to have lived through.

Aww well, now I'll go troll Google or something dull and find the mystery of Earhart solved. Now there was a dicey navigator (Noonan).

RETDPI
1st Nov 2007, 13:18
Although I expect most students of Beryl Markham would have read it,
"Straight on till Morning" By Mary S. Lovell (1987) , provides a biographic assessment of Markham which goes well beyond that which one gleans from "West with the Night". It also contains a very good bibliography for further reading.
Inevitably the "Happy Valley" set feature and there is a fair bit of non-aviation gossip.

skua
9th Nov 2007, 12:53
Haven't read the Lovell book but "the Lives of Beryl Markham" (note the title) by Errol Trezebinski is fascninating (and shows how her husbnad at the time (Raoul???) wrote the book for her, and this became an embarassment in later life.

Also recommend "Too Close to the Sun" by Sara Wheeler about Denis Finch Hatton for another angle on this woman and period.

If you had the £££ it sounds to have been a great period (& place) in aviation.

Skua

RETDPI
9th Nov 2007, 14:45
Currently ( at last) reading "Too Close to the Sun".
Just past WW1 at present; but what a superbly atmospheric book! Thoroughly recommended.