PDA

View Full Version : Win XP SP2 install onto Laptop - Advice please.

Shaft109
27th Oct 2007, 17:32
I currently have a PC running XP SP2 that I installed from a genuine disc. Now I have been given a Sony laptop but want to "start fresh" by formatting the HD so I know exactly what's on there. I don't have the original for the Laptop.

Can I install from the genuine disc and use the serial number on the Microsoft sticker on the laptop?

Hope this is concise enough.

green granite
27th Oct 2007, 17:44
Physically yes, but it may or may not register and doing updates may be a problem,

LEGALLY NO.

SOTV
27th Oct 2007, 18:16
Surely, when you purchase a laptop/PC that has a preinstalled copy of XP/Vista/whatever, and are supplied with a genuine back up disc with the serial number then that copy is yours. It came in the purchased package.

I bought a new PC a few years ago and it came with Windows XP, shortly after I bought a second hand laptop and re-formatted the disc then loaded the XP back up disc, entered the required details and address etc and had no problems.

What you are suggesting has to be the same as going to PC World and buying a stand alone disc and then being restricted to loading it on one computer only.

I may be wrong but it does seem a bit restrictive to use a product you bought only once.

:confused::confused:

Saab Dastard
27th Oct 2007, 18:31
Technically I believe that green granite may be correct, because the Sony laptop license is for an OEM version of Windows XP.

However, reading the MS license Ts & Cs (which I have had to do from time to time), it is clear that an OEM license obtained with a pre-installed copy of XP CANNOT be used on any other PC, but it is not made clear whether or not the installation media from a genuine standalone copy may be used with the license key from an OEM copy.

Assuming that the OS license sticker on the Sony laptop is for Win XP, then my personal (not PPRuNe's) common sense view would be to try it, and if it works I think you are on reasonably firm ground, insofar as you have 2 PCs, and each PC has a license for the product installed. You would be in a lot better position than many!

I am not a lawyer, however, so please satisfy yourself that what you are doing is in accordance with the MS licensing agreement.

SD

SOTV
27th Oct 2007, 18:49
After having a chat with an oppo of mine who is employed in the IT world and hosts quite a few websites on his personal servers. His opinion is that Microshaft would let it run unless it was abused... IE, over half a dozen different IP addys on one serial number.

This is not an invitation to defraud or an encouragement to do so, merely his experience.

Shaft109
27th Oct 2007, 18:53
Just to update, the sticker on the laptop is for XP home edition, and it states "label not to be sold separately" so I think it allows scope for me to give it a try.

I had no end of trouble trying to resurrect a tower with some 'dubious' installs and crawling with malware so I always think a fresh start rebuild by myself is the preferred option. If it does to tits up I'll just have to cross that hurdle later.
Cheers for now

Shaft