PDA

View Full Version : Cadetships and Sponsorships

Tapp0
27th Oct 2007, 06:37
Lately in the media, newspapers etc I have noticed much publicity with regards to cadetships and the opportunities they can provide for potential pilots like my self. Does any one have any first hand experience or knowledge about these opportunities?
Would you recommend going for it?
Are you offered a job at the end?
Do you require any prior experience/knowledge?:confused:

With talk of GA Aerodromes/runways closing in the S/E Quensland area, and prices increasing for a/c hire and landing fees etc, it seems that the cadetships may be the only viable way to go in the future.

WannaBeBiggles
27th Oct 2007, 10:48
Tapp0,

there are a few cadetships offer in OZ, most seem more attractive on the surface than they really are as they (can) lock you in to a pretty poor salary for quite some time afterwards.

The one cadetship that is probablly worth the most is the Qantas one, as they have changed it to being fully funded (I believe) as opposed to the 120k it used to be.

All the other cadetship still require you to cough up money, so nothing is free.

Tapp0
27th Oct 2007, 23:17
Thanks for the info,

Gee I didn't realise how much they actually contribute, especially Qantas!
Looks like quite a promising potential carrier entrance as a pilot.

jetflite
28th Oct 2007, 01:55
Cadetships on Offer
*QANTAS - Best one out of the lot.
*REX - Go to website for details, seems fair. They make it easy for you to afford the $80K, but you have to sign on for around 5-6 years OR if your really good they'll pay for 50% of it... worth a look!
*MAC - AIR (training done by JETFLITE) - CRAP!!! you pay approx. $90K If you get knocked off the course you don't get any of your money back. Wouldn't even bother with these guys. I know to many people who got knocked off the course around there CPL test or MECIR test at that stage you've already payed your $90K, so if you get kocked off here (most likey stage it'll happen) you loose about $10-15K worth of flying.
*SHARP AIRLINES - I've heard decent things about these guys, worth having a look at the web-site...
There are other cadetships around aswell... Good Luck.

Tapp0
28th Oct 2007, 10:52
Sharp Airlines? havent heard of them before where abouts to they operate, regional Australia, or are they an overseas based airline?

WannaBeBiggles
28th Oct 2007, 18:55
Sharp airlines are based in Hamilton (regional Victoria), fly mainly PA31's I believe.

Their website is http://sharpairlines.com/ :ok:

Tapp0
28th Oct 2007, 23:46
Cheers mate will check them out!

3-8-Echo
29th Oct 2007, 12:03
It might be worth noting that Qantas don't contribute any money to your training, however if you make it through the course, you may be able to get a loan through their credit union.

WannaBeBiggles
29th Oct 2007, 14:50
38 echo, correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure that Qantas were moving to "remove the financial burden" from their cadet pilot scheme?

Tapp0
29th Oct 2007, 23:44
"remove the financial burden"

Inother words to you mean, it is a fully paid for cadetship with no out of pocket expense on the "cadets" behalf?