PDA

View Full Version : Pax on freighters

amos747
26th Oct 2007, 15:47
Just curious, do any of you guys that fly freighters internationally take your family along with you from time to time?

I do, however, for some of the destinations I fly to it's just not possible. The most frustrating is JFK, where the TSA won't let us bring immediate family members on board due to the lack of a security door to the cockpit. It's OK if you carry pax that accompany cargo (even when they're off-duty and dead-heading), they're not considered to be a threat, but your family is. :ugh:

L-38
26th Oct 2007, 17:01
"I do, however, for some of the destinations I fly to it's just not possible"

What company / nationality do you fly for, Amos? I am not aware of any US registered carrier that would allow this.

amos747
27th Oct 2007, 07:44
I don't fly for a US based carrier. My company allows immediate family members to join us on cargo-only aircraft, provided there is no restriction for their arrival and departure at our destinations. Being on the road for so many days a month, we find this very important for maintaining a "somewhat normal" family life. I'm surprised that US based cargo carriers will not allow this.

L-38
29th Oct 2007, 04:07
"I'm surprised that US based cargo carriers will not allow this"

Amos, this is not allowed courtesy of Uncle Sam (an American metaphor for the US Government) thru it's certification (op spec's) sponsorship. This is because you never know when your accompanied 8 year old son will suddenly grow teeth and attempt to takeover your aircraft (even though horse handlers, curriers and such are ok to ride).

That being said Amos, perhaps you are a foreign commie spy or alquada operative posing as a ppruner to gain terrorist aircraft access information with this sensitive topic. - If so, then my local FBI office would like to know :cool:!!

amos747
29th Oct 2007, 15:17
"perhaps you are a foreign commie spy or alquada operative posing as a ppruner to gain terrorist aircraft access information with this sensitive topic"

You got me. And I thought no one would notice. Actually, I'm both: a commie spy who moonlights as an alquada operative. My secret weapon was a tiny leatherman micra multi-tool, but the TSA took that last time, so now I'm working on nail scissors of mass destruction.

Joking aside, I fully understand their concern and the threats they have to deal with. It's just that it appears as if their dedication has taken them a bit to the extreme side.

L-38
29th Oct 2007, 16:29
nail scissors of mass destruction . . . their dedication has taken them a bit . . extreme.

Recall a few months post 9/11 when TSA would confiscate your nail clippers, however after passing thru to the "secure" side, you would then within minutes buy new ones at the gift shop .

Also, try mentioning access of your cockpit crash ax to TSA. A few good airman have lost their jobs over that one. . . only in America.

JamesA
29th Oct 2007, 22:09
Some time ago I thought it would be nice to take The Boss on a shopping trip. Knowing the good ole TSA had put a ban on family members travelling on our freighters, my cunning plan to circumvent said ban - I requested if Air Trafficers could travel (The Boss being one of them). The answer if she is a U. S. citizen, it is allowed, otherwise no way, Pedro. So now all you non- US ATC types who request Yankee cargo companies for a ride, know why you are refused. We love you and the help you give us, it's them thar governmint folks who are against you. Mind you I think they are against everybody.